Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Fitness Log

Options
  • 11-01-2010 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Ok, so my first fitness log

Have been getting into the weights in the last year and a half.

Went well for first couple of months. Then dipped for a few, then improved.

However, lately having trouble with shoulder clicking and with the usual Christmas laziness.

Anyway, want to track my progress from now on

My stats:

Height: 6'0
    Weight:11st 10lbs

Bench Press - Current 8 X 3 @ 45kgs (plus whatever bar weighs).

Target - 8 X 3 @ 47.5kgs

Shoulder Press - Current 8 X 3 @18kgs.

Target - 8 X 3 @ 20kgs

Bicep Curl - Current 8 X 3 @ 18kgs

Target - 8 X 3 @ 20kgs

(Targets are for 6th Feb - have set that date, as am going away that weekend, so as good a weekend to target for. Will set up new targets on return)

Other mainstay of my routine is deadlift. But I can't remember what I usually lift on that, so I'll have to check.

Need to learn how to squat properly. But will do this under proper supervision

Gonna put in 30 lengths per week of my local pool (about 25 metre) to hopefully improve shoulder situation.

And 2 X running sessions per week (substitute for a soccer 5-a-side match on weeks that I'm playing)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hey

The bar weights 20kg.

Good luck with your log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

G86 wrote: »
    Hey

The bar weights 20kg.

Good luck with your log :)
    well , it depends on the bar G :P if its a 7 foot bar gavney it will be 20kg, if its a 6 foot it will most likely be 15kg

well , it depends on the bar G :P if its a 7 foot bar gavney it will be 20kg, if its a 6 foot it will most likely be 15kg

I thought it was standard 20kg - Shows how much I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

well mickk sells a 20kg 6ft bar but most tend to be 15 in my experience

Hmm well the ones in RAW are 20kg as far as I know. Prob depends on the gym. Sorry for cluttering up your log OP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

G86 wrote: »
    Hmm well the ones in RAW are 20kg as far as I know. Prob depends on the gym. Sorry for cluttering up your log OP!

no worries - I was wondering why all the replies- what had I said that had cause a stir!

Actually, I would be surprised if it's even 15kg. I'm actually referring to my bench at home. So, as with a lot of home equipment, the bar is lighter than what you typically find in a gym

Have frozen my gym membership for a couple of months, just to save a bit of money, so will be doing all this at home (apart from the swimming of course, which I'll pay per go in local pool)

Day 1 - Tuesday 12th Jan

(May not end up doing weights, still getting over a cold - will see how i feel later)

But anyway, my diet

8am - 1 cup oats & water. Small tin of tuna.

1 glucosamine tab (500mg) for joints. 1 Zinc tab (15mg). 1 Omega 3 tab. 2X uniflu tabs

11am - Half a head of brocolli. Full cup of brown rice, mixed with cottage cheese. 1 cup of green tea

1pm - 1 mackerel fillet, pre-cooked. 1 slice brown bread with liver pate, 1 cup of green tea

4.30pm - 1/2 mackerel fillet sandwich

8pm - steak + small portion of green beans

10pm - post workout - small tin of tuna, tomato, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

Glucosamine, omega, uniflu

Standing Barbell Curl

1X12 10kg
    1X12 12.5kg
    2X10 15kg
    1X10 17.5kg
    1X8 18.5kg (stay)

Deadlift (mixed grip)

2X8 18.5kg (increase to 20Kg)

Wednesday 13th Jan

Food
    8am - scrambled eggs (2 eggs- 1 with yolk, 1 without), bowl of oats and water

11am- bowl of brown rice, cup strawberry milk, handful of raisins

2:30pm - Mackerel fillet sandwich (brown bread), 4 tables spoons lowfat Dunnes yoghurt

5pm - cup of oats & water, banana, carrot

7pm- bowl of homemade tomato soup with Thyme (was actually very nice - will make this again!)

10pm (after workout)- chicken fillet with cottage cheese and green beans

Workout

Jog - 50 mins, 2X Booterstown square

Sit-up (legs raised)- Straight (X50), side2side (X50), Straight (X50)
    Leg raises (X20)

Good workout, pretty wrecked after, esp after leg raises (which seem to be a good exercise)

Thursday 14th Jan

8am - 3 rashers (grilled), bowl of oats & water, banana, red apple
    supps - gluc, omega, zinc

11am - Bowl Brown rice mixed with Dunnes Low fat yoghurt (actually quite nice!)

1pm- mackerel sandwich (w/2slices brown bread). Cup of coffee

4pm- 4 tablespoons Dunnes Low fat yoghurt. 1cup oat + water

7:30pm - 1 small bowl alpen, 1 cup of black tea

9:30pm - 1 grilled chicken fillet with cottage cheese and a few floret of brocolli. 2 rashers in a 2 white bread sandwich

Bench

1X15- 17.5kg
    1X15- 27.5kg
    1X9- 40kg

shoulder at me again, gonna stop now, swimming tomorrow

Friday 15th Jan

8am - oats & water. 2 small tins (80g each) of tuna

11am - mackerel sandwich, brown bread

12pm- bowl of vegetable soup (clerys) with small brown roll, cup of green tea

5pm- mackerel sandwich (half mackerel fillet, 2 slices brown bread), 4 tablespoons dunnes lf yoghurt, handful of pumpkin seeds

7pm - cup oats & water

8:30pm - brocolli, half a turkey.

10pm - bowl of prawns ( only had half - were a bit gross!), snack bar and a cup of tea (weekly treat)

Tried to do a proper chest & triceps tonight to make up for last night

bench

1X15- 20kg
    1X9- 40kg
    1X6- 42.5kg
    1X8- 42.5kg

close grip tricep press
    2X9 20kg
    1X13 21kg (increase)

barbell flies
    1X14 (to failure) - 11kg each barbell

• Advertisement

Saturday 16th Jan

10am - 3 egg scrambled egg + white toast + big glass tropicana OJ

1pm - bowl brown rice, low fat glenisk yoghurt, bit of turkey leftover

4pm- mackerel sandwich (half fillet). 4 tablespoons Dunnes low fat yoghurt

7pm - chicken fillet. 4 florets brocolli, tablespoon light cotage chees

went out drinking. tried to avoid beer as much as possible. afair, i drank two double whiskeys with ice, a cocktail of some sort, a shot, another whiskey and two bottles of heineken. then had a bowl of alpen when i got home (better than a couple of hot dogs, which I usually have!)

swimming

16 lengths markievizc pool, mostly trouble. left shoulder giving me trouble again, but no pain after. will give swimming another go next week
    standing barbell curl

1X15 - 12.5kg
    2X11 - 15kg
    2X9 - 18.5kg
    1X4- 19.7kg

Deadlift
    1X 10 - 19.7kg

Woke up feeling wrecked (only got to bed at 5am). Got out of bed at 11:30, as had arranged to climb the sugar loaf with a friend.

Eventually managed to get myself together. Had two rashers and a two -egg scrambled egg, a low fat yoghurt, and a very delicious bowl of mushroom soup.

During trip out to kilmacanogue, had ham & mayo baguette. a couple of mandarins and a lollipop on the mountain. and a small tin of tuna on bus back, and a bottle of orange lucozade.

anyway, felt great, an excellent hangover cure. have arranged to do it again in two weeks time.

7pm - chicken fillet with cottage cheese

9pm - some cheese, a fruit corner yoghurt, and a mini-snack bar (broke the rules there, bad boy)

Monday 18th Jan

8am - protein shake with full fat milk (water not running) + 5g creatamax mixed in, 4 tablespoons dunnes lf yoghurt, brown toast, handful of seeds

11am- ham sandwich, handful sesame seeds

3pm - ham sandwich, green tea, glass grape juice with 5g creatamax

5pm - 4 tablespoons yoghurt and pumpkin sees

7pm - 2 bananas & creatamax mixed with cranberry juice

shoulder press
    1X13 - 15kg
    1X13 - 17.5kg
    1X10 - 19.7kg
    1X9 - 20.7kg (3 week target already reached and surpassed :) - probably hadn't been pushing myself hard enough last time i did presses)
    1X8- 20.7kg
    1X5 -22.2kg
    1X6 - 22.2kg

really good shoulder workout, very happy with that. will combine shoulders/legs as one of my splits, once i get someone to properly show me how to do squats

Hey, just wondering, if your bench is 40kg then you should be well able for more than 20kg on the deadlift I'd think? No?

Don't underestimate yourself:)

(I could be completely wrong though, just putting it out there!)

Hey G86,

Re: deadlift - yeah you're totally right, im well able for more than that on the deadlift, and certainly haven't done enough reps.

I said in original post that the deadlift has been a part of my routine for a long time BUT what I should have said is that i've been doing the less common STIFF-LEGGED deadlift, as opposed to ROMANIAN

I only decided last week to learn the ROMANIAN. So, the last couple of sessions have been my first sessions doing romanian deadlift. I've started ridiculously low, just so I can get used to the technique, and focus on that. Once I'm comfortable that I have it perfect, then I'll start actually pushing myself.

Cheers for the input G86, all comments welcome!

gavney wrote: »
    Hey G86,

Re: deadlift - yeah you're totally right, im well able for more than that on the deadlift, and certainly haven't done enough reps.

I said in original post that the deadlift has been a part of my routine for a long time BUT what I should have said is that i've been doing the less common STIFF-LEGGED deadlift, as opposed to ROMANIAN

I only decided last week to learn the ROMANIAN. So, the last couple of sessions have been my first sessions doing romanian deadlift. I've started ridiculously low, just so I can get used to the technique, and focus on that. Once I'm comfortable that I have it perfect, then I'll start actually pushing myself.

Cheers for the input G86, all comments welcome!

Ah cool, I get you now - yeah I used to always do the SLDL too, only learned the standard one a month ago. I was just wondering! :)

Tuesday 19th Jan

8am - creatamax W/ cranberry juice. 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese, small tin of tuna, 330ml full fat strawberry milk, handful of pumpkin seeds

12pm - chicken caesar salad (from Barnie's) - tasty, bit skimpy on the aul' chicken though!

2pm- creatamax mixed with cranberry juice

3:30 - half a large tub of Yeo Valley low fat organic yoghurt mixed with handful of pumpkin seeds

4:30pm- 415g reduced sugar & salt beans (apologies in advance to Co-workers!). cup of black coffee

7pm - sirloin steak. 2 florets of broccoli

11pm (post workout) - glass of low fat milk, few teaspoons of cottage cheese

Run

2X booterstown square. 50 mins. Was absolutely shattered after. Don't remember being that tired last week!

Anyway, forced myself into doing situps etc.. after

Situps (Legs raised): 55(straight); 55 (side to side); 55 (straight)
    22 leg raises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Whats the story with your shoulder???

http://www.dieselcrew.com/

This is my fav site at the moment, If you go to media and then videos, there is a link to the Smitty's youtube channels,. Its pretty much a one stop shop for all your training needs.

There are some good videos on shoulder rehad. I have added a lot of the warm ups to my training and have seen improvements in shoulder/chest.

Joe defranco also has a nice site with a youtube channel full of good videos.

I realls like facepulls, do you do much back work other than deadlifts??

Your diet is great, lots of good food, puts mine to shame:(

cheeers for that jayo

Actually, I did a shoulder session yesterday. It was the first time I had done a specific shoulder exercise in about 3 weeks.

And............my shoulder didn't give me any trouble whatsoever!!

So, am delighted with that, as it was causing me trouble only a few days earlier when doing chest press. Hopefully, it will stay like this

Tbh, I don't know whether it's the glucosamine or the exercises which are helping my shoulder.

Cheers for the link, i'll try some of that stuff. And yeah, am really looking to do some other back exercises - it's my favourite area to work, mostly because it makes me aware of muscles in my back - sometimes I "forget" they're there, and then I do deadlifts and it feels great. I used to have pretty bad posture - but it's improved massively in the last year because of deadlifts.

jayoo wrote: »

Your diet is great, lots of good food, puts mine to shame:(

Thanks! It's normally decent enough (i.e. probably healthier than the national average - but that probably isn't a good statistic to compare with!). But I've been particularly good since I started filling in this log. I'm actually feel great lately, with oodles of energy and I think the good diet is really helping.

Re: your own diet - what's your weakness? I think the best advice I can give is to eat regularly but never stuff yourself. And also, to allow yourself a treat once a week - it's something to look forward to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

On way home from gym i bought and ate a swiss roll, 50% extra free, 1300 calories of wonderfulness Mmmmmm. This sums up my diet at the moment :):(

jayoo wrote: »
    On way home from gym i bought and ate a swiss roll, 50% extra free, 1300 calories of wonderfulness Mmmmmm. This sums up my diet at the moment :):(

ah that's naughty ;).

Are you sure you're getting enough food in at right times to keep you going? I think that skipping meals is a sure way to build cravings - and then you fall off the wagon.

Wednesday 20th Jan

8am - 4 egg whites, 2 egg yolks, bowl of Jordan's muesli with LF milk, 1 banana

11am - brown rice mixed with Yeo Valley organic fat free blueberry yoghurt. creatamax mixed with grape juice

1pm - bowl of beef & veg soup with white bap - TCD canteen, cup of black coffee

3:30pm - creatamax with grape juice, handful of pumpkin seeds, 2 tablespoons FF yoghurt, 2 small tin (80g) tuna

7pm - bowl of homemade tomato soup, creatamax, 1 banana, 1 berocca

9pm - two pork steaks, grilled, half a head of brocolli

10:30 - glass of LF milk

Protein intake (just counting high protein foods).

egg (6g) X 4 = 24g,

milk approx 8g X2 = 16g

tuna X2- 30g,

Pork Stea 22g X2 = 44g

yoghurt - 6g.

Total = 120g (I think that's enough (possibly too much?) - considering I haven't factored in protein intake from the low protein foods))

Weight (taken at 8:45pm - post workout, but before eating post-workout food (pork steaks)) = 11 st 10lb 1/8
    Standing barbell curl

1X15 - 10kg
    1X 12 - 15kg
    1X 11 -15kg
    1X7 - 18.5kg
    1X5 - 18.5kg

I did better last time. But I think my technique was cheating me before, as I watched some videos on technique today, which reminded me of a few thing

Rom deadlift (mixed grip)

1X12 - 18.5kg
    1X10 - 30kg
    1X10 - 35kg

Thursday 21st Jan

Taking a day off from exercise, which is quite needed I think, as I felt a bit lacklustre during yesterday's workout, even though I had plenty of energy during the day.

8am - 2 rashers grilled, bowl of oats and water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

Unfortunately had to get a new user ID, as the email address registered to "gavney" is no longer used by me, and I can't remember the password for that!

Anyway, can't remember what else I ate on Thursday. But it was a planned day off from exercise anyway

Friday

(can't rmember diet either)

Bench

1X10 - 35kg
    1X9 - 40kg
    1X4- 45kg
    1X4- 45kg

closegrip tricep press

1X10 - 20kg
    1X9 - 22.5kg

Saturday

10am - bowl of porridge, creatamax

Workout (11am)

Standing barbell curl

1X15 - 10kg
    1X12 - 15kg
    1X7 - 16kg
    1X5 - 18.5kg
    1X4 - 18.5kg

rom Deadlift (mixed grip)

1X10 - 18.5kg
    1X10 - 35kg
    1X10 - 37.5kg

full body neck stretches (X2) 20seconds each

Sunday - rest day - was a bit hungover. Didn't eat terribly though. Had a couple of white bread sandwiches, ham, a full fat yoghurt, a protein shake, glass of finches fizzy orange, steak and a few chips

Went for a 30min walk which made me feel alot better

Saturday night - again drinking wasn't terrible thankfully. AFAIR I had - 1/3 of a bottle of vodka mixed with coke at home, 1 bottle of beer. In town - had 2 bottles of beer, JD with ice, shot of Jaeger

Not the healthiest weekend - but I'm generally worse if I'm going out. should have avoided the chips, and had alot of coke with my vodka. But as I make this the exception rather than the rule with weekends, then I'm doing ok I think.

Again, thankfully, I avoided having any hot dog/ kebab/ burger on way home from town.

Must remember to bring a couple of tracker bars with me on next night out - stick them in my coat pocket and eat them if I'm feeling tempted to have fast food.

Monday

9am - 330ml FF Strawberry milk, handful of hazelnuts, 2 small bananas, creatamax W/ cranberry juice (on maintenance dose now), Tesco LF strawberry yoghurt.

1pm - 1 tomato. 2 brown bread sandwiches - chicken (with coriander and thyme from M&S) and mayonaise in each. Cup of green tea.

4:15pm - small tin of tuna, 1/3 bag of hazelnuts

8pm - post workout, protein shake w/ LF milk. Bolognese meat sauce with white baguette. creatamax w/ cranberry juice

10:30pm - 2 slices of ham

Bench

Target for today - to finish with 1X 6 - 45kg; 1X 4 - 46kg. If I can do this, I'll be very happy with myself

The results are in...

1X 8 - 40kg
    1X 4 - 45kg
    1X 4 - 46kg

Ok, didn't quite hit target and form wasn't perfect on a couple of the reps, but very close, and I didn't have a spotter as had been planned (facking mate never turned up). So,hopefully will hit this target if I have a spotter next time

Press

1X15 - 10kg
    1X13 - 17.5kg
    1X7 - 21kg
    1X4 - 22.2kg
    1X5 - 22.2kg (slight backward step from last week, gave it my all but just couldn't make it to 6 reps this time - will try to make it to 8 reps before moving up a weight)

Close grip tricep push

1X 8 - 22.2kg
    1X10 - 22.2kg

W/out plan for week

Monday - chest/triceps/shoulders
    Tuesday - Cardio (either jog or football)
    Wednesday - Running up stairs pre-work with weighted bag - followed by frog jumps (don't know what this exercise is actually called - but it just invovles being in press-up position and jumping forward and back, moving legs in under body repeatedly, but keeping arms and upper body stationary - would like to know what it's actually called)
    Thursday - rest day
    Friday - Back/ Biceps - will have a look at videos for upper back exercises to compliment deadlift Used to do the Upright row, but I've heard alot of criticism of this exercise, that it's not all that effective and it can cause injury quite easily - I don't particularly enjoy it either, it just doesn't feel comfortable)
    Saturday -*
    Rest/ Swimming
    Sunday - Chest / Triceps (and maybe shoulders - depending how this combination went on Monday)

*Might end up swapping Saturday with Sunday. But preferably, would like to have a rest day between Push and Pull

Tuesday

8am - cup of oats and water, tropicana multivitamin, 1/2 bag of hazelnuts,creatine

11:30 am - Tuna sandwich 2 Xsmall cans of tuna (2X80g) with 2 slices of brown bread

2pm - chicken & thyme sandwich,

5pm - mackerel fillet, cottage cheese sandwich + apple

8pm - bowl of tomato soup, 2 grilled pork steaks, peas, mashed potato

10:30pm - 2 slices ham, mandarin, creatine

Exercise - 5-a-side soccer. I think my improved fitness and diet was showing. Had alot more energy than previous weeks, was hungry to keep playing at end, even when most of the other seemed wrecked.

• Advertisement

Wednesday (rest day)

8am - cup of oats and water, half a baguette (ham and coleslaw), cup of coffee

11am - other half of baguette, blueberries, cup of green tea, creatine

1pm - chicken curry from brewbaker. Very nice, wasn't too unhealthy (i.e. relatively small portion and not really heavy or greasy)

4pm -cottage cheese sandwich

6pm - 1 1/2 mackerel fillet - 3 tomatoes, creatine

Ok, wasn't able to go home till later than expected. was at table quiz. ended up eating two small packs of animal biscuits and half a bag of crisps - that's my treat for the week

Also had strawberry milk, and a protein shake around 10pm

Advertisement