Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis

Options
  • 11-01-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't see a thread on this, but I was wondering if anyone is playing this?

I got it on Friday and have to say I'm loving it so far, even though I'm not really that far into it.

Here's the website if you want to read some blurb and see some media of it.

I guess it can be compared pretty closely to Dragon Age: Origins, but kind of has a bit of a Fable feeling to it also. You play a newly graduated dragon slayer born and bred to rid the world of evil dragon knights etc etc. Typical fantasy fair. I'd never played the first game, but I'm not sure if that matters.

But it has a few tricks that make it stand out a bit from most RPG's. At the start you pick one of 3 classes: Warrior, Rogue and Mage. Each has a load of different skills that you can pump points into, to a maximum of 5 (you get 1 point per level gained). These skills can be dragged onto your action bar, which makes the game play a bit like an MMO.

The thing is, fromt he start, you can put points into any of the classes, as well as two additional classes (Dragon Slayer and Priest) that for some reason they don't fully explain to you. So you can tailor you character pretty well to how you want to play, as opposed to being forced to choose only the skills from your selected class.

Another nifty little feature is mindreading. For every NPC in the game, you get the option to read their mind. Sometimes this will reveal a hidden item, another way of solving a quest, lower a traders prices or maybe you'll just hear some inane comment. The thing is it costs XP to read minds, so you have to choose whether it's worth putting off levelling for a while to see if someone has something useful to say. Granted, you can just quick save before hand and reload if you don't like what they say.

Also, after a certain amount of time in the game, you gain the ability to turn into a dragon and buzz about set fire to stuff. I've only had a little go at this, but it's a lot of fun.

Combat is a click fest rather than Dragon Age's click once affair. You end up jumping and rolling around the place to dodge attacks while trying to his the right quickslot key to unleash your special attacks.

Unfortunately combat goes from piss easy to rock hard and back again, over and over. There's one part near the start where you first start fighting skeletons. They come in large groups and kept kicking my ass until I decided to skirt around the area picking off small groups until I levelled enough to take them all on. I was concentrating on being a Rogue class, so that may of stood against me, though.

Anyway, it's a pretty good game. I have to admit that, although it's not as deep as Dragon Age, I'm enjoying it more. Quests are fun and quirky and the maps are well put together.

It's well worth a buy if you've got the time and cash to spare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

I downloaded the demo but could not get into it.

There is a Fable vibe in it but there was something missing and the controls seemed fiddily and the graphics seemed basic but thats my just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got this a few weeks ago but so far I've only played a few minutes of it. I'm actually playing Divine Divinity at the moment and wanted to finish it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Hmm, first i've heard of this. Really considering picking it up now but I have a huge backlog of other stuff to get through as well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

c - 13 wrote: »
    Hmm, first i've heard of this. Really considering picking it up now but I have a huge backlog of other stuff to get through as well ...

I'm the same, this sounds like something I'd finish but I got 4 new games for Xmas, no 5 if I count Uncharted 2.

Not enough hours

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i whanted to get this aswell! sounds and looks really awesome! thought i have same problem like moust of you guys...

i have so many games that i just had not finished and i really whant to!!

damn MW2+WOW combo is really hard to beat... i got atleast 6 games on consoles that i whant to play but newer find time... and now i got iphone aswell....

bring the times when you had only nes and were happy as hell to get 1 new game in month :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

more disposable income as you get older and buying cheaper online really doesnt help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Very tempted to pick this up for the week after my exams end...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

just wondering where people bought this game asked in xtravision and gamestop Bray and they had never heard of it and did not have it on there system

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I ordered it online from Play.com.

CDwow.ie
    XBox 360 game
    €35.99

PC
    €24.99

Play.com
    Xbox 360
    €38.99

€32.49 PC

wow! cdwow are actually cheaper than Play for once :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

superfly wrote: »
    CDwow.ie
    XBox 360 game
    €35.99

PC
    €24.99

Play.com
    Xbox 360
    €38.99

€32.49 PC

wow! cdwow are actually cheaper than Play for once :)
    DAMMIT!!!! :D

i love it when i get to spoil someones day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Anyone else played this at all? Feelings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I eventually got it on cdwow and since it came i have not looked back.
    Personally I prefer it to Dragon Age which was a little bit of a let down
    on the 360 for me, there is a big open world to explore lots of dungeons and funny little side quests etc.
    It has a fable feel with the voice acting and is also quite humorous in parts, it also has an oblivion vibe with open world aspect etc.
    Having never played that first game or indeed not knowing anything about I am really enjoying this game, if your looking for a diverting RPG you could do worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Might have to pick this up. Was disappointed with Dragon Age Awakenings and Mass Effect 2 isn't really thrilling me.

Advertisement