Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many laps of Ice House Hill?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hey all,

I like running the path in Ice house Hill but have no idea how far I am running in terms of miles. I do a good few laps ( the full laps around the park not the paths that cross in the middle) and was wondering approx. how many laps would equal 1 mile. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Someone told me years ago one lap around was one mile. Don't know if that's right....the Ecco road is one mile from end to end isn't it? That feels longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Deadalus

Yeah I always thought it would be close to a mile around the park though cause it can be deceptively long if you go around the full way but i would say its probobly closer to 3 fifths of a mile or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've measured it on Google maps and the Ecco Rd is 1500 meters. I've measrured the boundry of Ice House Hill and it's just under 500 Meters. The paths being inside the boundry are probably shorter.

guess I was way off then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 alice58

Deadalus wrote: »
    Hey all,

I like running the path in Ice house Hill but have no idea how far I am running in terms of miles. I do a good few laps ( the full laps around the park not the paths that cross in the middle) and was wondering approx. how many laps would equal 1 mile. Any ideas?

If you are a pretty good runner, id say you would be doing ten minute miles, if that is any help..anyway as long as you are enjoying it is all that matters, so good for you ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the encouragement Alice. Basically I was thinking of running the Dundalk half marathon in May and was trying to figure out how many laps of the park would roughly equal the 13 odd mile of the marathon. I think I need to be hitting about 40 laps or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Head out towards the new Lidl and beside St. Helenas Park on the Tain Bridge Road, you will see "start" painted on the ground or a white line. For the next two miles every 200ms you`ll see a yellow dot on the ground. This was marked out by North East Leinster runners whom do interval training there every Tuesday night at 7. 1600ms is just under a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Deadalus wrote: »
    Cheers for the encouragement Alice. Basically I was thinking of running the Dundalk half marathon in May and was trying to figure out how many laps of the park would roughly equal the 13 odd mile of the marathon. I think I need to be hitting about 40 laps or so.

Much better to get a longer route than running multiple small laps. Round the Littlemills from the Garda barracks approx 4 miles, round Knockbridge (Ardee Rd/village/Carrick Rd) 9 miles - that sort of thing. What's the route for the half maraton? Good luck with it!

Cheers for the advice guys.

I have never really done any sort of distance race but I play a good bit of football and stuff so I'm reasonably fit but I'll have to really put alot of time in to get in the condition I need to be for the Marathon.

I know your right about the road running instead of the laps of the park but I think if I get to a stage where I can do 40 laps of the park then I would be in a good position to hit the road for long runs.

Advertisement