Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Trouble

• 11-01-2010 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

driving to work this morning the revs on the car just stuck around 2000 revs.

even with the foot off the accelerator.

when i put the foot down the revs dropped to about 1000 then just shot up to around 6000 and came back down to 2000.

then when slowing down the car cut out and wouldnt start again. everytime i turned the key it would just about try to start. starter motor seems fine but it was if there was no petrol to spark up

its as if the throttle cable is loose but it seems fine on inspection

its an audi a4 b5

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭lau1247

Rev meter problem?

My cousin used to have an A3 which the rev meter get stuck around 2.5K on idle. his meter don't drop and then go up. His is just per normal as in an offset.

In anycase you'll know by the sound of the rev coming from the engine whether the display is showing the actual rev (More or less)

Hope that help a bit

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Could be any number of things the cat could be on the way out or the throtle body could be fupd.Try to bring it to a mechanic as soon as possible if its cutting out its not safe to be driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

chrism2007 wrote: »
    driving to work this morning the revs on the car just stuck around 2000 revs.

even with the foot off the accelerator.

when i put the foot down the revs dropped to about 1000 then just shot up to around 6000 and came back down to 2000.

then when slowing down the car cut out and wouldnt start again. everytime i turned the key it would just about try to start. starter motor seems fine but it was if there was no petrol to spark up

its as if the throttle cable is loose but it seems fine on inspection

its an audi a4 b5

thanks in advance

Could be a number of things. One thing that springs to mind could be blocked fuel filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

lau1247 wrote: »
    Rev meter problem?

My cousin used to have an A3 which the rev meter get stuck around 2.5K on idle. his meter don't drop and then go up. His is just per normal as in an offset.

In anycase you'll know by the sound of the rev coming from the engine whether the display is showing the actual rev (More or less)

Hope that help a bit

revs definitely match up with engine anyway. its not just an offset

ill get it to a mechanic and see what they have to say

Advertisement