Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post

Options
  • 11-01-2010 2:12pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    Who exactly do you complain to if you paid for a parcel with An Post to be delivered next day and it was not delivered until some days later? I assume I am entitled to some form of compensation?

Any suggestions on a courier who do small packages deliveries? I recall an advert on the radio promoting such a service but cant recall who they were. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sully wrote: »
    Who exactly do you complain to if you paid for a parcel with An Post to be delivered next day and it was not delivered until some days later? I assume I am entitled to some form of compensation?

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/cust-howwehelp.htm#latepost
    Any suggestions on a courier who do small packages deliveries? I recall an advert on the radio promoting such a service but cant recall who they were. :)

Either you recall or can't recall the ad ... you can't have it both ways. :D

There are a number of companies - Interlink, Fastway, Pony Express, Cyclone, DHL, UPS, and many many more.

http://www.goldenpages.ie/Results.asp?origin=HOME&rubric=select&what=couriers&where=&county=[743]Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As far as I know, it's not actually a guarantee of next day delivery, and you would only be compensated if the package never arrived. If it has arrived, then I don't think you'll get anything. They'll probably blame this on the weather, which in fairness did stop a lot of mail trucks from running over the last week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jor el wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's not actually a guarantee of next day delivery, and you would only be compensated if the package never arrived. If it has arrived, then I don't think you'll get anything. They'll probably blame this on the weather, which in fairness did stop a lot of mail trucks from running over the last week.

I went into the GPO in Dublin and asked for the small package to be delivered the next working day, which she said would happen. I always thought if you paid for the next day delivery, they would do so. If not, why should I pay for the service I never got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

have you been outside lately.? I wouldn't expect much to be delivered in this weather, next day or not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

have you been outside lately.? I wouldn't expect much to be delivered in this weather, next day or not.

No, is it not 20C with sun splitting the rocks? I sent the parcel to the post office using magic, so no idea.

But anyway - transport has been running fairly normal. I'm getting post delivered fine, buses with slight delays and rail services running okay. There was no need for Ireland to come to a standstill due to the weather and if An Post expected delays, I should have been informed before paying extra for a service I was never given. I asked and was assured it would be next day - in the middle of the "cold snap".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Knowing An Post they have some get out clause. I never bother sending things next day since I sent two identical size parcels to the same address. One with next day delievey and one not. Both arrived at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

No, is it not 20C with sun splitting the rocks? I sent the parcel to the post office using magic, so no idea.

But anyway - transport has been running fairly normal. I'm getting post delivered fine, buses with slight delays and rail services running okay. There was no need for Ireland to come to a standstill due to the weather and if An Post expected delays, I should have been informed before paying extra for a service I was never given. I asked and was assured it would be next day - in the middle of the "cold snap".

You're entitled to a refund. Ask at your PO for a claim form, or perhaps you can download one. It can take a few weeks to come through, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I always thought if you paid for the next day delivery, they would do so.

You would think so, but from recent readings I think it's not actually guaranteed. I don't think it's any better than regular registered post, which generally arrives in 1 day for domestic deliveries too. As nipplenuts says, you might get a refund of the money you paid for postage though, since they failed to live up to the price you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I always thought if you paid for the next day delivery, they would do so. If not, why should I pay for the service I never got?

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/parcelterms.htm

Section 6, (b) (i) - weather conditions
    6. Liabilities Not Assumed
    (b) An Post will not be liable for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage arising from or caused by:
    (i) failure to perform any of its obligations if such failure is the result of circumstances outside its control including .... weather conditions, traffic congestion,
    .... etc

So, they can blame the weather, and then are exempt from their next day delivery.

It would depend on where the parcel is posted from and posted to, and the conditions of roads, sorting stations, delivery stations, etc en route.

From reading their Terms and Conditions, your only claim would be for loss or damage of the parcel, not for delayed delivery (up to 5 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Folks,

How many days is some days later and which of their services did you use? The An Post Track & Trace system should show the details or are you taking your information from the addressee? Were they there to sign for it next day? ( I know, I know - some postmen just leave a notice even when people are at home )

You can complete the An Post online enquiry form which has a tick box for Delay but before doing so you could ring Customer Services 1850 575859 to see if there is any point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement