Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

uPVC sash windows not airtight

• 11-01-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi folks, I built my house about 3 years ago and had PVC sash windows installed. My problem is that they are quite drafty - as far as I'm concerned they should be airtight. I purchased them from a company in the midlands and had them back a few times to have them fix the problem but with little success. Am I right in saying that they should be airtight? The installer said that they shouldn't be for 'ventilation' purposes.

If they should be airtight has anyone had this type of issue and if so can anything be done with them for example the brush seals be replaced or does anyone know of any companies that might be able to help?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Better off in the C & P forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Windows should be designed & installed to be draught free. They should be weather tight and prevent wind and water penetration - otherwise they are fualty. They can have ventilation options "build-in" but these options should be fully controlable - easily closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I have the same problem, drafty windows,can see blind movning, feel a breeze coming in also. is it easy to sort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Hi all, I'm in the same boat only got new windows installed a few months back during major extension work to the house. Last night with the high winds you could see the blinds moving freely with the amount of wind/draft getting in :eek:

Going to call the company that installed them for me today and get them to come out. The amount of heat loss or extra heating I have to have on to keep the room warm is no joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I dont get sash windows at all, to me the design is clearly not going to be airtight and is something that belongs the in last century. I also get the impression that they will deteriate over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 mossy74

Thanks Seclachi for your valuable input...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

mossy74 wrote: »
    Thanks Seclachi for your valuable input...

Yeah sorry, I have a chip on my sholder when it comes to sash windows. If its any help I have heard one person called there window company back to install rubber strips in the windows to increase airtightness (this was in a 5000sq ft + house with HRV, madness).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

seclachi wrote: »
    I dont get sash windows at all, to me the design is clearly not going to be airtight and is something that belongs the in last century.

Why clearly?
    seclachi wrote: »
    I also get the impression that they will deteriate over time.

***Update on reality***

Everything deteriorates over time.

I have restored sash windows on the sea front that are 250 years old.

I know of sash windows that are 400 years old that are still working!

Of course you are quite correct they will eventually rot.

Advertisement