Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frozen pipe where i do not know!

• 11-01-2010 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

My well pump froze and I have managed to thaw it. Now I have water in an outside tap. But no water inside the house. No water in tanks upstairs no water at all in house... I'd love to know where the pipe enters the house from outside. Does anyone know?

I'm without water for sometime now and its driving me crazy. I have all the heating on and I'm going to open the attic door soon to let heat in and see if this makes anykinda difference. Will report back if it does.

If anyone can help please do!!

Beau

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

It sound as if your mains from the pump to the house is the problem.
    1 cause might be that the builder has the main pipe in a shallow trench
    between pump and house. If so, you will have the same problem with every hard frost. You should contact him and see if he can fix the problem.
    Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

+1 Shallow pipes freeze, especially in this severe long lasting cold.

It sounds like the pipe is frozen below ground. Any part of exposed uninsulated pipe visible to the naked eye could be frozen - shallow pipe entering house usually near kitchen sink or near utility room sink / hot press.

Where is your outside tap?
    The pipe between this tap & the Well is not frozen but the pipe from this tap to your house is frozen. If this is the first time it froze then its likely to be less than 10 inches below the surface. I recommend it should be 24 -36 inches or 900mm below the surface of the soil / road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Is there a shut off valve between the outside tap and the house?
    It might Be frozen
    Is the tank in the attic frozen?
    Let us know how you get on.

Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

beau_beau wrote: »
    I'd love to know where the pipe enters the house from outside. Does anyone know?

Usually under the kitchen sink or in the hotpress, a black plastic pipe with a stopcock on it.

Advertisement