Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water gone in South City centre

Options
  • 11-01-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the story with whats happening with the water?

Ours has just gone this morning, we're near college of commerce.

Nothing on the council website about turning off/lowering pressure.

Anyone know if they're turning it off for a few hours/day etc??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

I don't know.

I'm in the Blackrock area and I had no water last night. Very little today either. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

ITs pay back from the floods, to much slagging the North Side... Deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Are you joking? During the floods, the south side (Douglas, Ballintemple, many parts of Blackrock, Togher) were without water for four plus days.

Ed.

I was already without water for 2 whole weeks.

I'm going to move because of this ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

heard bits on 96fm news there is a problem by the merch hospital and thats why the city centre is off.
    they also said the dublin hill reservoir is out of water and thats why ballyvolane/dublin hill is off. it will apparently take 13 hours to fill up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

just on the councils site:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM CORK CITY COUNCIL WATER SERVICE DEPARTMENT
    Cork City Council is requesting the public not to hoard water and not to leave taps running as a means preventing pipes freezing.

“There has been a huge increase in consumer demand in the recent spell of poor weather,” said City Manager, Joe Gavin. “Coupled with the high level of leaks arising in the severe weather conditions water supply has been interrupted in a number of areas, due to low pressure across the network.”

The demands on the system have compromised supply to a number of vulnerable facilities, including the Mercy Hospital . “The public must play its part in ensuring continuity of water supplies and must conserve water,” stressed Mr. Gavin.

Supply will be returned to normal as the demands on the system return to normal levels.

Cork City Council is advising the public that supply interruptions are expected today in the following areas:

Redemption Rd

Lovers Walk

Killeens

Pophams Rd/Kilnap

Parklands

Onslow Gardens

Richmond Hill

Assumption Rd

Commons Rd

Dublin Hill

Redforge Rd

Ballyvolane

Glen Heights

River View

Meadow Park

Council staff are working to maintain maximum water production levels and ensure that leaks on the public mains are promptly repaired.

In addition consumers are asked to check their private connections for leaks and carry out necessary repairs as quickly as possible.

The Council regrets any inconvenience caused by the foregoing and appreciates public co-operation and patience at this time.

Alternative arrangements for supply are being established in affected areas with stand- pipes to be provided by the Council at various locations. Further details will issue later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I rang the free phone number given on the Cork City Council website and they said that the area around the College of Commerce is also affected. According to them it'll be back working here tonight. Fingers crossed!

There said there's a major water pipe broken at Centre Park Road and that's why I have no water. They didn't say it would be fixed any time soon either. :mad: Probably be days by the sounds of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Water gone here on georges quay :(
    But we were grand during the floods so i guess it was coming.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Julie22

Most incredibly annoying loud banging noise coming from water pipes in our building, near college of comm, driving us demented, almost constant noise for three days! Anyone else have this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I haven't had enough pressure since last week to have a shower, now the pressure is so low cant even use washing machine. Also was without water last time for the two weeks. I cant beleive we live in such a crap city. Almost 1 month that I haven't been able to have showers in my house.

Council are usless again when you ring, cant give any updates to when we will have water, what they are doing about it, try again tommorrow is not good enough when you can't wash yourself.

Why the hell was there no money spent on the water system in this city/country during the "boom times". Most of the water that comes from the treatment plants in Cork never makes it out of our taps, but lost due to crap mains system.

Also why are people so selfish with water, leaving there taps run all night to stop them freezing and running the resivours dry. Then when they say conserve water, I hear stories of people filling everything they can with water, all of which will be no doubt never used, which again has the knock on effect running the system even lower!

Common sense was something that was left behind in the last Millennium I reckon.

Bring on Water Metering!!

Advertisement