Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the camera up and down tommorow, any advice/experience?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

dragona wrote: »
    Has anyone here *cleaned out* so to speak with Milk of Magnesia and Dulcolax?? That is what is on my prep sheet.....also any tips on how to not get a sore bum......hole? :D

Ok, I'm in the hospital, admitted two days ago and have to have colonoscopy on Monday:(
    I'm having the Picolax tomorrow - how does this work in a hospital setting when the loo is shared????? OMG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

dragona wrote: »
    Ok, I'm in the hospital, admitted two days ago and have to have colonoscopy on Monday:(
    I'm having the Picolax tomorrow - how does this work in a hospital setting when the loo is shared????? OMG

Aww you poor thing. Good luck with it.

I've never had one but I was on a ward once with a lady who was having one and taking that stuff. Everyone was very understanding of her need to basically camp out in the bathroom and we used one on the main corridor. We all felt really sorry for her so don't be feeling uncomfortable about making demands on the bathroom for as long as you need to. People will be sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

Hi there, I have to get this done next Friday :( Very nervous, but the doc said that I'll be under anaesthetic rather than sedated, so I'll be totally unconscious thankfully!

Wanted to ask about the picolax, I have to take it the day before - it says to take it at 8am and again at 4pm - but I don't think I can get out of work before 3pm. The doctor said I could start late, but will that be too late? So if I took the first lot at 3pm, I couldn't take the next one till around 9pm... does anyone know how long it will go on after that??? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 diskodolly

hi beegirl,
    the last time i had to take picolax i 2 had to work, you should wait till say about 1pm to take the first dose, have a lite breakfast i know you'll need to eat if you have to work, dont worry it takes a few hours to work sometimes 4 or 5 for me, try to eat a lite diet coming up to the test less to be cleared out, then take your next dose at 6pm or you'll be up all night, drink lots, water 7up ginger ale anything that no or low residue.
    once you have it drank thats the worst over, you'll be out for the count during the test.
    best of luck and let me know how you get on.

oh and ps, have some wet wipes at the loo, and maybe some vasaline or sudo creme and but some on with some loo roll between trips.

good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I'm 26 and have had this done twice. It's actually cool when you're brought into the procedure room. The doc just talks to you about nothing in particular to calm yuo and then you do'nt even know it when you're knocked out. During my first procedure, I awoke during the whole thing though (but my body was numb) and I started slurring words while looking at the monitor (which showed the innards of my colon - nice! :) )

Kevin

Thanks for the advice diskodolly! I actually managed to get Thursday off, that will make things a bit simpler! Will let you know how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Apparently you can mix klean prep with any clear liquid like diluted blackcurrent or something.

Its waaaaaaay worse than the procedure .. then again I was completely knocked out for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

LOL!....Colonoscopy, lost count how many i had....the nurses all knew me so they knew my demands by heart, super duper amounts of sedation, totally knocked out....just demand it.

Don't be afraid, but hey....ever had to swallow those tubes so they can inject the radioactive solution into the tube?, they normally sedate people for that but i just swallowed the damn thing.

Try having an NG up yer snout for two months.....lol!, you'll be fine.

diskodolly wrote: »
    oh and ps, have some wet wipes at the loo, and maybe some vasaline or sudo creme and but some on with some loo roll between trips.

good luck:)

:eek: TMI! :D

• Advertisement

richard when i go for my scopes, they look at my chart and go wow it takes a lot to knock you out. i like the hypnoval, fentanal combo.

and richard dont tell me you havent had 2 use sudo on your bum when on the prep !!!!!:);) LOL

i got them to put down an NG last time i had a barium follow through much better then drinking the crap that was about 8 years ago, there was a poor woman there trying to drink it and i sailed through the test.

hate though when NG its stuck up your nose for weeks and you cant blow your nose !!!!

getting started on Humira next week bit nervous as looked up side effects, but will give it a go.

HA!.....i blew my nose a few times and the NG flw out my nose!, i didn't want the crap of having student docs inserting it again....so i just pushed it back down! :-)

But those tests are always stressful, no matter if you've done it a hundread times. Did you do the whole enteral feeding system?....i dropped to 5 1/2 stone with Crohn's, my nickname was Skeletor :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 orlanemo

Great thread :)

Tips for Kleen Prep, lots of blackcurrent Miwadi, and chilled too. The stuff is vile but only in a salty armpit kind of way. So people don't freak out too much. I had one a few weeks ago so its all very fresh in the memory.

There are different camps on the whole Kleen Prep v's enema debate. I had an enema for the first one - jesus I would not repeat that experience. Maybe its different for different people but christ i would take the Kleen Prep over that any day. The enemas also have a contraindication for use in IBD patients.

Start the KPrep when it says and drink steadily. Ease off if the bloating gets bad. Seriously I dont know how anyone gets in 4 litres by 8 in the evening. Get the Wet ones or baby wipes in. And deffo go for some kind of ceam. Vaseline only offers a barrier effect so the like of suducream might be better as its more soothing.

try to get a good nights sleep, warm shower in the morning to make you feel better. Hot water bottle or seed bag in the car on the way. Pack your bag the night before. Dressing gown, and warm pyjama-like clothes like tracksuit bottoms. Warm socks. I wore me uggs till just before being wheeled in :)

I have woken up all the other times so I told them I wanted none of that this time. They gave me Pithadine and some hypnotic aswell. Woke up feeling all nice and magnanimous towards my fellow man (unlike how I am normally).

TBH I would take the day off the next day. Ask your doc for a sick note for the next day as well. Its stressful enough to go through an I think you need a day to rest after. Maybe people disagree with this, but I have usually been quite sick when I have had one, so they kinda set me back a bit in the energy stakes :(

Try the probiotics in yogurt or in pill form too. Everything gets flush out so not a bad idea to give the tummy a helping hand following :)

Orla

orla your post made me laugh !!!!

love being put to sleep when i was younger (have crohns 16 yrs) i used to have my scopes AWAKE !!! now i know what i was missing best thing about them is the nice sleep you have, pethadine makes me puke so the doc gave me hyponoval or midasalom with fentanal (all spelt wrong) and i feel much better. if i have it up and down def need the next day off work as im like a zombie.

Richard, the thinest i was was just under 6 stone back in 94 when i was diagnosed, spent 3and a half months in hosp, was on ng feed first but then went an TPN as the NG feed was not providing enough cals,

i went to hell and back that year went into hosp 15 may and got out the 26 aug.

if i even hear the year 1994 mentioned i get a chill down my back. :cool:

LOL DD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

anytime i get the endoscopy done i dont get the sedative, my stomach is really weak, and gag reflex is controllable while i'm in my senses (sort of)
    so not being in control of myself while a big fibre optic tube is going where no fibre optic tube should go scares the crap out of me, one wrong gag and something bad happens.. bleh i know its just me and its doubtful anything could ever happen anyway, but still.. need control for that one. horrible feeling, but manageable and it means ye get to eat sooner than if you take the sedative :)

the colonoscopy is a different story, poor ould rustysherriff's badge is raw as hell after 4 litres of kleenprep, which i think is actually just seawater.
    makes me vomit everytime, the nurses allowed me to mix it with flat 7up, which helped...a bit!
    it took a lot to knock me out too, if i recall i had a drip thingie in my arm that they used to pump in some sedative, they did it 3 times before i started getting drowsy and couldnt talk properly, but i let them know i could feel what they were doing in my finest north dublin accent :)
    "GEH DAH BLEEDIN TING AHWAY FRUM MEH"
    funny as hell when i think of it now, but when it was being done i was deadly serious in my drugged up state.

speaking of TMI.. when i came round, i was back in the ward, two of friends and my ex-gf were there, and apparently when the tube was removed...whatever was left inside the oul bowel was removed when the tube was.. so there i lay in my wet bed, groggy and dazed with my friends and ex laughing their arses off at me

happy days!

in fairness though, the colonoscopy is pretty easy, the kleenprep laxative is the hardest part.

orla your post made me laugh !!!!

love being put to sleep when i was younger (have crohns 16 yrs) i used to have my scopes AWAKE !!! now i know what i was missing best thing about them is the nice sleep you have, pethadine makes me puke so the doc gave me hyponoval or midasalom with fentanal (all spelt wrong) and i feel much better. if i have it up and down def need the next day off work as im like a zombie.

Richard, the thinest i was was just under 6 stone back in 94 when i was diagnosed, spent 3and a half months in hosp, was on ng feed first but then went an TPN as the NG feed was not providing enough cals,

i went to hell and back that year went into hosp 15 may and got out the 26 aug.

if i even hear the year 1994 mentioned i get a chill down my back. :cool:

LOL DD

1994 was my "year of hell" also! :eek:

Weird connection! :)

orlanemo wrote: »

Tips for Kleen Prep, lots of blackcurrent Miwadi, and chilled too. The stuff is vile but only in a salty armpit kind of way. So people don't freak out too much. I had one a few weeks ago so its all very fresh in the memory.

There are different camps on the whole Kleen Prep v's enema debate. I had an enema for the first one - jesus I would not repeat that experience. Maybe its different for different people but christ i would take the Kleen Prep over that any day. The enemas also have a contraindication for use in IBD patients.

Start the KPrep when it says and drink steadily. Ease off if the bloating gets bad. Seriously I dont know how anyone gets in 4 litres by 8 in the evening. Get the Wet ones or baby wipes in. And deffo go for some kind of ceam. Vaseline only offers a barrier effect so the like of suducream might be better as its more soothing.

try to get a good nights sleep, warm shower in the morning to make you feel better. Hot water bottle or seed bag in the car on the way. Pack your bag the night before. Dressing gown, and warm pyjama-like clothes like tracksuit bottoms. Warm socks. I wore me uggs till just before being wheeled in :)

I have woken up all the other times so I told them I wanted none of that this time. They gave me Pithadine and some hypnotic aswell. Woke up feeling all nice and magnanimous towards my fellow man (unlike how I am normally).

TBH I would take the day off the next day. Ask your doc for a sick note for the next day as well. Its stressful enough to go through an I think you need a day to rest after. Maybe people disagree with this, but I have usually been quite sick when I have had one, so they kinda set me back a bit in the energy stakes :(

Try the probiotics in yogurt or in pill form too. Everything gets flush out so not a bad idea to give the tummy a helping hand following :)

Orla

I LOVE IT! :D

(and she wears uggs!)

the colonoscopy is a different story, poor ould rustysherriff's badge is raw as hell after 4 litres of kleenprep, which i think is actually just seawater.
    makes me vomit everytime, the nurses allowed me to mix it with flat 7up, which helped...a bit!
    it took a lot to knock me out too, if i recall i had a drip thingie in my arm that they used to pump in some sedative, they did it 3 times before i started getting drowsy and couldnt talk properly, but i let them know i could feel what they were doing in my finest north dublin accent :)
    "GEH DAH BLEEDIN TING AHWAY FRUM MEH"
    funny as hell when i think of it now, but when it was being done i was deadly serious in my drugged up state.

Hey De Grassi!

My favourite scope story is when I was having my second scope. I had laser on me eyes, but before that I had fairly poor eyesight. Wouldn't-recognised your-own-Mother-if-she-was-in-front-of-you kind of eyesight.

Well as usual I woke up halfway through and started calling out for my glasses. The nurse thinking I was having a panic attack, went off frantically looking for my glasses. When she got them I popped them on and had good look at the TV screen. "wow is that my bowel?" Then i continued on with a running commentary for the next few minutes. If it wasn't so close to the end I'm sure they would have tried to give me more sedative just to shut me up. :)

Orla

orla more embarrasing was when i was having a small bowel enema ( NG IN NOSE SCOPE IN GOB BARIUM goes down NG) they knock me out for so long i was out of it for hours but i was telling all the nurses how much i loved my consultant he was a pure dote, looked after me so well retired now, they were all smiling at me when i woke up, and i knew them all cause my mum was a nurse there i was so enbarrassed !!!!!! and so red when i saw him on his rounds !!!!!!

Hi guys, thanks again for all the advice, it went well and I don't remember a thing about it :D They didn't find anything though so I still don't know what's going on!!! Still have to wait for biopsy and CT results though...

• Advertisement

orla more embarrasing was when i was having a small bowel enema ( NG IN NOSE SCOPE IN GOB BARIUM goes down NG) they knock me out for so long i was out of it for hours but i was telling all the nurses how much i loved my consultant he was a pure dote, looked after me so well retired now, they were all smiling at me when i woke up, and i knew them all cause my mum was a nurse there i was so enbarrassed !!!!!! and so red when i saw him on his rounds !!!!!!

Apparently, I talked all the way through the one when I asked for my glasses, supposedly to some old man at a bus stop... They told me they record sound in the theatre so they could play it back for me if I wanted. As we used to say when I was a young 'un - SCARLET!!

I'm really enjoying this thread,

Having the aule scopes done is not much fun and its usually done because its needed. It nice to be able to share a few experiences. Its great the way it brings out dark humour in people. IMO poo is the last taboo, there is a reason they rhyme :)

So as a thread hopefully its sets a few people minds at ease and they will deel less apprehensive about having this done.

Orla

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

orlanemo wrote: »

That is exactly how I would decribe it tastes!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭duracell_bunny

I'm having the camera up and down in three weeks but he is also going to take biopsies at the same time. Has anyone else had the biopsies taken?

I'm dreading it but way worse are the comments on this thread that the doctor couldn't find a vein. I'm terrified of needles and have massive panic attacks when having them inserted. My consultant has promised me loads of valium but he has to find a vein on the first try or I'll just freak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

Hi duracell bunny!
    Just make sure you're wrapped up warmly while you wait, ask for a blanket, bring one and keep your feet warm. If your hands get cold, hold them under the hot tap for a while. When you're warm your veins are wide and it will be easy to find them, so don't worry! Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I'm getting this done in two weeks under Professor Hegarty. I was under the impression I was going to be completely knocked out for this-is that not the case?

It's the endoscopy I particularly don't want to be awake for...I'm ok with the rest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I was totally knocked out, didn't wake up for ages after, best sleep I'd had for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Am due to have this procedure done shortly. Not sure whether to laugh or cry after reading this. Seems everyone lived to tell the tale though which is reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

Parkerpen, I had these tests done this time last year and I was absolutely terrified! But the picolax preparation was actually worse than the procedures. The day in the endoscopy suite was, despite the nerves while waiting, absolutely hilarious! A few people came back singing from the sedation or telling the nurses that they loved them! If I hadn't been so nervous (I was last on the list so was there all day :( ), I'd have been rolling around the place laughing! There's no need to worry, they wheel you in, knock you out, you have the best sleep ever and you wake up slightly drunk/merry! :D
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

The preperation for getting the camera up is the worst part about the whole thing. I was sedated but i was still wide awake during the whole thing. I even watched it on the camera!:p

But i couldnt feel anything, thats the main thing!

Advertisement