Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSA/Civil Union Q

• 11-01-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this in the wrong forum, please move to relevant forum if so.

My Q concerns Job Seekers Allowance.
    My gf lives with me and is therefore not entitled to any JSA payments (or anything at all actually). She has been looking for a job for months upon months and there is nothing out there at all.

However, it appears that I am also not allowed to use her tax credits.
    Can anyone please explain why this is?
    Is it a gray area/loophole?

What would happen if we had a civil marraige?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

No grey area really, you simply can't claim a married credit (ie take her credit) unless you are actually married.

Since she is not working, if ye were married, you would benefit from her credit plus the increased band at the lower tax rate.

.........is it enough to warrant a proposal though!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Thanks. Maybe its just me, but it seems really odd that they can determine your means to be too high based on co-habitation, but then you are not entitled to tax credits under the same system.:confused:

Yes, we've been thinking about doing the civil marriage, just a signature jobby.

What are the benefits/losses?
    Any info appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

it really is one of the areas of the system that is very unfair to parents. Since you are living together, you could not claim a one parent family credit if you had a child and yet being married with one is much more beneficial.

The problem with the job seekers is that it is run by the social welfare, seperate to Revenue and therefore has its own rules. The Revenue go by the opinion of being married entitles you to benefits of married credit and increased tax band (which only really benefits if one person is on high income and second is on none or less that 27.4K) but the social welfare take the approach that if you are co-habiting, you are in essence the same as married so you lose out on the single benefits

Advertisement