Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green Cert.

• 11-01-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m looking for information about obtaining the “Green Cert.” qualification. I’ve a 3 rd level degree and am from a farming background and I’m not looking at getting this qualification. Is the 180 hour e-college option now gone?? Has it been replaced with something else?? I’m working full time so I need a self study/part time option. I’m aware of the 18 months (1 day a month in a college) option but is there a faster way to achieve this qualification part-time??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

Matt406 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I’m looking for information about obtaining the “Green Cert.” qualification. I’ve a 3 rd level degree and am from a farming background and I’m not looking at getting this qualification. Is the 180 hour e-college option now gone?? Has it been replaced with something else?? I’m working full time so I need a self study/part time option. I’m aware of the 18 months (1 day a month in a college) option but is there a faster way to achieve this qualification part-time??

Thanks.

i started year in college doing the level 5 fetac green cert and had problems and had to pospone it and went to repeat and had more problems .whats the 18 months one ? ? where is it done ? there is night course doing this aswell but its booked up till 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Hi All,

Thanks.
    correct me here guys but i think it was cut in the budget.

Contact your local Teagasc office they would be able to tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Hi All,

Thanks.

what kind of degree did you do
    i never done the green cert
    however i did go to collage and do agri business and done advanced dairy herd management for a year as well as nz. got a letter from teagasc to state that i had done the eqlivant or better education that the green cert. this is fully recognizable by dept etc. id say if you have done some for of agri related collage it should stand to/or part of the green cert. contact teagasc and find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

dar31 wrote: »
    what kind of degree did you do
    i never done the green cert
    however i did go to collage and do agri business and done advanced dairy herd management for a year as well as nz. got a letter from teagasc to state that i had done the eqlivant or better education that the green cert. this is fully recognizable by dept etc. id say if you have done some for of agri related collage it should stand to/or part of the green cert. contact teagasc and find out
    hi where did you do the advanced dairy management ? was it in england i did reaseheath for a year

whelan1 wrote: »
    hi where did you do the advanced dairy management ? was it in england i did reaseheath for a year

same here

• Advertisement

what year i was 1992/1993

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 yo!its_yoyo

In clonakilty you can get the green cert in a few ways. A person with any degree can do a course which requires you to keep a farm diary for like a year. i think there is a few days in the college aswell, cant remember though. For the diary you don't need to be on the farm diary everyday, weekends will do.

what year i was 1992/1993

your showing your vintage now;)
    think it was 98/99 i was there

ye i have a walking stick and all now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 one big push

if u have a degree revenue aka the tax man will accept the 180 hour cert .check out the one run by tegasc longord if u want an easy life:D i did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

I did the online course last year in Gurteen. You can't do the 180 hr course online anymore. It has been replaced by a level 6 advanced cert in argiculture over 18 months. The staff at Gurteen told us that there would be moves in the future that would require you to have more than the "Green Cert" qualification for grants approval etc. Basically the online course consists of 1 day per month attendance in college when you take out holidays this amounts to about 12 days. 5 of these days are done in one continous week early on in the course. There is a bit of time involved as this cert is actually a full time 2 year course. You have to answer online modules twice monthly with exams [not too difficult ;)] on the college days. You do have to keep a farm diary for 12 months which is a bit of a pain :mad:. There are a few projects for which you need access to the farm accounts etc for profit monitors etc.

I not sure if it got cut in the last budget. I know some of the staff in Gurtenn said that they were hit in the eary 09 buget but the last one I didn't hear. If you go to the Teagasc website and look up elearning it will list all their online course with dates and whether they are full or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

Can I ask some stupid questions:

What are the benefits of an agri qualification like the Green Cert for a part time farmer?
    Is the stamp duty exemption for under 35's gone?

do you not need it for grants and to get a herd number :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

I done a HND in AG engineering in reaseheath, started in 99 I see on the Gurteen Web site they have the part time Fetac level 6 course listed, that can be completed in the evening time over 30 months and then the E-college on listed below that for people who have completed recognised uni/it courses to level 6 or equivalant, Pn14 you reckon this is gone now Does anyone know what Level 6 is equivalant to in relation to the UK diploma?
    If both options was available which would be better to do?
    PN 14 How did you find the course in Gurteen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

do you not need it for grants and to get a herd number :confused:
    no you do not need a green cert for grants or a herd number.i have no cert and i got the grant on scraper and mats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

F.D. i don't know whether the level 6 online course is still available i presume it is. What is no longer available on line is the old green cert course.

The course itself was ok but a lot more work involved than was previously involved in the on line "green cert course". It was a bit of a shock to everyone on the course as I think we all had gotten details of the course from people who had done the older online green cert course and there was apparently little enough to be done to get the cert. As our group were one of the first to do the online level 6 cert I think there was a learning curve for the tutors as well but overall it was ok. The college days were a little drawn out in that they usually started at 10 and finished 4.30 with an hr for lunch it felt like you spent half the day hanging about. Apparently they had the short days to suit people travelling to the college there were lads from Galway, Limerick, Kildare, Kilkenny etc on the course I did. We suggested to them at the end that we would have preferred longer more intense days at the college which would mean that they could cut down on the number of days you would actually have to attend. It would be better to have 8 or 9 intense days than having to get 14 days off work to spend half the time in the college hanging around. I don't know whether that was taken on board or not, probably not:cool:.

As regards the level 6 and how it compares to diploma / degree courses i'm not sure but if you look up the FETAC on the web it should give you details. You need a level 8 course I think in order to qualify for the online course. They ask you to send off your degree to Teagasc with your application and they let you know if it is sufficient. The online course is for people with previousl 3rd level education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

I thought that the “online course” had been done away with and is replaced with the 18-month part time course??

Advertisement