Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken - External Hard-drive USB port

• 11-01-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    At the start of the year my external hard-drive fell around 2 foot off a bed. It was being accessed at the time and it disconnected the moment it hit the ground. I thought "oh no" also because the power light was gone (USB powered). The port looked a little dodgy on it and I heard a rattle. I took off the case and saw that the USB port had snapped, effectively stopping it from connecting and power up. I put it back in, but nothing happened. Looks like one of the brackets (possibly earthing?) snapped. Is this an easy fix, and if so, any where in Dublin (Clondalkin/Parkwest) area preferred. Its a Freecom 160GB.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi All,
    At the start of the year my external hard-drive fell around 2 foot off a bed. It was being accessed at the time and it disconnected the moment it hit the ground. I thought "oh no" also because the power light was gone (USB powered). The port looked a little dodgy on it and I heard a rattle. I took off the case and saw that the USB port had snapped, effectively stopping it from connecting and power up. I put it back in, but nothing happened. Looks like one of the brackets (possibly earthing?) snapped. Is this an easy fix, and if so, any where in Dublin (Clondalkin/Parkwest) area preferred. Its a Freecom 160GB.

Thanks

An external hard drive is just a normal hard drive in an external enclosure that has an interface card in it for hooking it up to a computer. It sounds like you damaged the interface card when you dropped it so rather than getting it repaired which is pointless IMO, simply go out onto ebay and buy yourself a new enclosure. You will have to make sure the type of enclosure you get is right for the hard drive - i.e. is the hard drive IDE or SATA, is it 2.5" (powered solely from the computer over USB) or 3.5" (needs an external power source to power the drive). Then make your choice, I pick up 2.5" ones for €10-€15, sometimes less.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

An external hard drive is just a normal hard drive in an external enclosure that has an interface card in it for hooking it up to a computer. It sounds like you damaged the interface card when you dropped it so rather than getting it repaired which is pointless IMO, simply go out onto ebay and buy yourself a new enclosure. You will have to make sure the type of enclosure you get is right for the hard drive - i.e. is the hard drive IDE or SATA, is it 2.5" (powered solely from the computer over USB) or 3.5" (needs an external power source to power the drive). Then make your choice, I pick up 2.5" ones for €10-€15, sometimes less.

Thanks for that. Its one of these. Its a 2.5" . Im assuming its a case of removing the drive itself from the board and attaching to another one? Ill have to have a look at it again, cause Ive a dodgy feeling that the drive is hardmounted to something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

antodeco wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Its one of these. Its a 2.5" . Im assuming its a case of removing the drive itself from the board and attaching to another one? Ill have to have a look at it again, cause Ive a dodgy feeling that the drive is hardmounted to something...

Howdy, sorry but I completely forgot about this. It's just a caddy with a hard drive in it. There must be some way to open it up and remove the actual hard drive. It'd probably be a tight fit to stop it rattling around in the caddy during transport. Pick yourself up a 2.5" enclosure with USB (and eSATA if you can find one) for about €15. I last bought one around 2 months ago and it cost me €14.30 on ebay :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I ordered one during the week and it was delivered yesterday. Took around 2 minutes to take apart the other and attach it to the new one. Perfect size. Tried it out and hey presto, it worked! Was going to send you a PM thanking you for it, but seeing as you replied today, I will do it here. I have all my stuff back thankfully, and the harddrive doesnt seem to have any issues :)

Thank you very much,

Advertisement