Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation

Options
  • 11-01-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any deals going on attic insulation please?
    Looking for the stuff you roll out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

Generally B&Q are fine for attic insulation. They give a discount to OAPs and trade, so if you know someone in either of those categories you could get a discount that way. Theres a B&Q up near Ballymount, easy to get to from the M50. even cheaper if you shop for it up north.

Insulating your attic with blanket insulation (Rollout stuff) makes a huge difference and will save you money on heating bills, id definitely recommend doing it! Theres a choice between this plastic wool stuff or fibreglass, can be tough to decide as fibreglass is a pain if it cuts into skin or you inhale loose fibres, etc.. A few tips, make sure you have eye protection such as goggles and a good breathing mask. If you have recessed spot lights, dont insulate over them, cut the insulation with a sharp knife about 12 inches (a foot) short of the lights to prevent fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Went to a few places and ended up buying the last 4 rolls of 170mm(8.xsq meters) at Homebase for 100 euro was on sale plus a 10% discount. Wasn't enough and they haven't restocked yet. B&Q has a buy 1 get 1 free of 200 recycled stuff small little bags (1.3 sq m)(20.10 euro normally for 1) I don't like to go to Morris's but they had the best deal 4 rolls of ecowool? 200mm(6.7 sq meters) I drove to all those places and wished I'd called. If they ask what type say the stuff that doesn't itch if your doing it your self. This is all in the Waterford city area. I'd try calling a building supply place that builders use. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭istabrac77

Hi

I insulated my attic a few months ago with the b&q fibreglass insulation. Bought too many of them and have 4 spare unopened.

PM me if youre interested.

Dublin 12 area

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Hi USERX, thanks for the useful info, just had the halo survey done last week and need more attic insulation apparently. You say 'Theres a choice between this plastic wool stuff or fibreglass,' are they both as good as each other, do you know if one is generally cheaper and is the plastic stuff easier to handle if you are doing it yourself? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

acermaple wrote: »
    Hi USERX, thanks for the useful info, just had the halo survey done last week and need more attic insulation apparently. You say 'Theres a choice between this plastic wool stuff or fibreglass,' are they both as good as each other, do you know if one is generally cheaper and is the plastic stuff easier to handle if you are doing it yourself? Thanks.

Plastic stuff has good r value only available in small rolls, not easy to cut or tear unlike fibreglass. Not sure about the B&Q stuff but some of therecycled plastic inulation has no fire rating. My personal choice is rockwool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Thanks paddyp, going to check it all out this weekend.

Advertisement