Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW FISH TANK AND ADVICE NEEDED!!

Options
  • 11-01-2010 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi folks, my partner has just bought me a fish tank for christmas and i just got it up and going i.e. deco and water in it. I have a few question if you all could help. I am going to leave the tank along without fish for 2weeks to allow it to settle and let the eco system build up. I am going to put tropical fish in and i was wondering the following:

1. Does 24oC sound right to maintain tank at.
    2. The tanks measurements is 80cm/30/35 volume 84L, roughly how many fish can it hold?
    3.What fish should i begin with, i am looking for a colourful tank?

About 8years ago i had a tropical tank and i out some bleeding heart tetras in ( which are quite small) but they ate everything else, nightmare or what.
    I am interested in the following fish do they mix well together, guppies and angel , any advice on breeds let me know.

Thanks for listening and please feel free to let me know your opinion! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

hey,

They recommend leaving a tank for a minimum of 8 weeks for tropical fish, you can get different products to combat this. Organic aqua is one i've used for years.

The tank should ideally maintain around 26-27.

How many fish depends on what kind of fish!! You'll get a nice selection of small fish in that size tank though.

Guppies are a good starter, as are platys neon tetras and some catfish.

I'm not sure what area you live in but brittas aquatics are amazing! Great advice and an amazing range!

Hi folks, my partner has just bought me a fish tank for christmas and i just got it up and going i.e. deco and water in it. I have a few question if you all could help. I am going to leave the tank along without fish for 2weeks to allow it to settle and let the eco system build up. I am going to put tropical fish in and i was wondering the following:

1. Does 24oC sound right to maintain tank at.
    2. The tanks measurements is 80cm/30/35 volume 84L, roughly how many fish can it hold?
    3.What fish should i begin with, i am looking for a colourful tank?

About 8years ago i had a tropical tank and i out some bleeding heart tetras in ( which are quite small) but they ate everything else, nightmare or what.
    I am interested in the following fish do they mix well together, guppies and angel , any advice on breeds let me know.

Thanks for listening and please feel free to let me know your opinion! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Thanks supermum1 for the advice, i live near newry in the north but i do be down in meath often. Where is the shop you were refering too.
    I have added some Tap water conditioner that removes chlorine and breaks chloramine bond.Is there anything else that i can do to speed the process. But if it takes 8weeks well i will just need to be patient. I was told a week by a local pet shop but i knew myself that it was far to quick

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

unfortunately a lot of pet shops don't know what they're talking about!! I'm sure you can get the organics online, I use ecopet.ie. at the moment that don't really have a fish section, I did ring them and the guy said that it would be up within a week. I'm sure you could call them and see if they are going to stock it. It's a product worth looking into!! I'm not very patient!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd definately leave it empty for a month before adding fish. We were told that danios are the best fish to start off with, they secrete something into the water that all fish need to survive but most can't produce it until it's aready there (classic catch 22)! Danios are one of the only fish that can produce it from scratch so they condition the tank for future fish. I'd leave the tank with only danios for a couple of months before adding new fish, and check with your pet shop, some fish only do well in a mature tank. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP don't mix guppies with angel fish. Guppies are very small and good natured but angelfish are more aggressive and will bully your guppies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement