Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Perth sep 2010

Options
  • 11-01-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

Myself and my fiance have just got brilliant news last week. After deciding not to finish off my Aussi visa application in 2005 and make the move to return to college after 10 years as a fitter, to get a degree in construction management and my fiance to attend University partime to get a degree on HRM of which she will be finished in May 2010 and I will also have finished my Buisness Masters IN mAY 2010.
    I had already had my trade assessed after returning from Australia in 2000 with the dedicated intention of returning, so I applied as a fitter in 2008 with my fiance as a defacto partner. In Oct 09 we were told (after completing the health checks and police clearance checks) that the goverment is tighting the number of visas being issued and we were told that it could be the end of 2012 before our visas will be issued.
    Last week we got the news out of the blue that we have been successful and need to enter Australia b4 18th sep 2010 and its been anticapation and excitement since, but we still ned to finish the last semister.

Sorry for the long story but would anyone know perth, the best place to live, my brother only imirgrated last year and he is in Thornlie, does anyone know this area, We would like to get settled near the beach and city( As I persume we will be working in the city).

Any hints,contacts, helpful knowledge or expierence would be appreciated on any area from best pubs, restaurants, subarbs, places to work etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I only know the backpacker area beside the city, called Northbridge. I lived there for 9 months.
    If you're looking for a nice house near the city, try Subiaco and the surrounding areas. Perth is small so you could practically walk to work from there. It might be expensive but most trade jobs there pay well.
    Pretty much anywhere there is close to the beach. Obviously you could go inland but you shouldnt have to do that. Western Australia has beaches right up the coast so its not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

Northbridge is a nice area if you like partying. It is very centrally located but I would advise Subiaco or Leederville or maybe even Cottesloe. Thornlie doesn't have the best train service - many trains go to Cannington and on to Armadale rather than Thornlie. Also, there have been many "incidents" on that trainline in the last few months. There is now a higher police presence on these trains and attacks have reduced but I would still advise the Subi/Leederville area as it has more regular public transport connections and is beautiful out there, You'd also be near the Oval sports ground and slightly nearer the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

i live in inglewood area but moving to mount lawley in a month or so!! 2 nice places and maybe considr maylands as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Claremont area is beautiful, also Cottesloe, Floreat, Wembley, Subiaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Cottesloe FTW. Think its the nearest beach to the city.
    Areas near the river are nice too, like Canning.

Fremantle is further out but a nice place.

Northbridge is a dump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I would stay away from areas like Thornlie, Gosnells, Armadale, generally that whole area. I work there and its not the nicest place to be. lots of crime and very dodgy people.

I would stick to Subiaco, Cottesloe, Como, South Perth, Mt Lawley is a nice area. Northbridge is the main "going out" spot, but its not great to be honest. There are a few nice pubs and restaurants there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

Mt. Lawley, Leederville are central and funky area's. I really like Victoria Park, was central, the new café strip so was bustling in the evenings, and you could walk to the city, 15min car ride to Cottesloe beach too, renting is cheaper because it's just south of the river, but so close to everything. I'd highly recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭fontinalis

Sparkle wrote: »
    Mt. Lawley, Leederville are central and funky area's. I really like Victoria Park, was central, the new café strip so was bustling in the evenings, and you could walk to the city, 15min car ride to Cottesloe beach too, renting is cheaper because it's just south of the river, but so close to everything. I'd highly recommend

Lived in Victoria Park myself for a whiel and thought it was a good place. I'd also recommend Subiaco and Cottesloe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 scamp1

I've lived in a number of places in Perth, and Inglewood and Bentley were my favourite. Inglewood was great as it's within walking distance of the city and I always loved the view of the skyline coming over the hill on Beaufort St and I'm happily settled in Bentley now. It's a nice quiet area, but on the train to the city and near the cafes in Vic park. Bentley may not have a great reputation but I've had a problem in Bentley itself, however the trains on the Armadale line (stopping in Bentley) have a few characters now and again.

I'd stay well away from places in central Perth, such as East Perth, Northbridge and get somewhere a small bit out where you can have some space and a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Does anyone know if theres much work in Perth at the moment?

• Advertisement
Advertisement