Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going out in Swords.

Options
  • 11-01-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, weird request as I live here but haven't been out in Swords in 4/5 years!

Where's good to go out these days? I used to go out in Wrights back in the day. Not really looking to go to The Wrights Venue as I'm a poor student these days.

Haven't been to Velvet as it was built while I was away.

What about The Old Boro?

I'm 27 if that makes a difference......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I just can't warm to the Wright Venue at all. It's like Krystle (not a good thing in my opinion) but in Swords. It looks brilliant but I've never enjoyed myself there, too many posers and I rarely say that about many places so I'm not being picky. Velvet isn't bad, always had a good night there and seems to be a mixture of people there of all ages any night I've been. I was in the Harp Bar for a party a few months ago, it was nice and big but a bit quiet I thought for a Saturday night. Old Boro would be my pick out of the pubs in Swords though, nice crowd and good vibe about the place. And the old Wrights I like but haven't been in ages so not sure what it's like these days.

Sorry that's all I can give you, haven't been out in Swords all that much lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Thanks. Yeah, had a feeling The Wright Venue would be like Krystle. Something I'm not into at all.

Might end up going to The Cock and then The Old Boro. It stays open late, right?

Larianne wrote: »
    Thanks. Yeah, had a feeling The Wright Venue would be like Krystle. Something I'm not into at all.

Might end up going to The Cock and then The Old Boro. It stays open late, right?

Yep, open til 2.30 at the weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

Velvet gets a very young crowd, ie. me and my friends are 21/22 and have seen friends' younger siblings there :eek: i would avoid it. Old wrights is ok. I have been enjoying the atmosphere of the Whiskey Bar in the Lamb lately, despite myself, but I wouldn't venture upstairs. Old Boro seems nice, only was there during the day though, lovely food.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agentino

Has anyone noticed that the Wright Venue has become Polish Central. You would struggle to hear anyone speaking English in there. Lovely looking crowd but for conversation forget it.
    I cant believe they left it go like that. Poles come from all over the pale to party there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'm only out in Swords at Christmas to be honest so my opinion is probably worthless.

Obviously depends on what you're into. I like Pints/food in The Cock before 11 and then to head to Wrights (old wrights) cause it's a bit more night clubbey dancey.

While the old boro is quite lovely, i find it has a similar atmosphere to the cock (pub) but in the settings of wrights (dark). just doesn't do it for me tbh. but then again, I'm only out in swords an odd time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'd be an Old Boro/Old Wrights fan, in saying that I go out in town more often the in Swords.

Thanks y'all. I'll report back with my findings. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Have not been out in Swords in years. The Harp I used to like and the Lord Mayors. Where is the best spot for Pub grub? Harp used to great for food.

Think the Harp is still good for food. They do a great early bird special I think. I haven't had it, but the food in The Cock Tavern looks amazing! Must try it sometime.

I think places like The Harp and The Lord Mayors are dead these days ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The Cock, Wrights and Old Boro all have something to offer. The wright venue is OK but as someone pointed out its full of posers. Velvet is also OK but it more of a place to go if your already full as a snake.

Just stay on the main street, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I’m not keen on Velvet at all. I think there are more posers in there than the Venue tbh. Plus it’s a very young crowd. The cock is a great spot for food and drinks. Wrights is a good spot of a bit of a bop. I don’t like the crowd in the Old Boro. I’ve seen quite a few scraps in there so I avoid it at all costs.

I know not many of you like the Venue but I think the second floor (purple bar) is great craic. They play 70’s + 80’s music up there so the crowd are older and its more relaxed. You can have a wee bop there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I think places like The Harp and The Lord Mayors are dead these days ??

what happened to the Lord Mayors? Must have been the most popular pub in Swords 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I think the Old school house is being over looked, great grub and great craic to go to for a few scoops before heading somewhere else, i usually head to old wrights after

love the school house, relaxed crowd, plenty of places to sit have a few scoops and have the craic, live music most nights too

@dubmick -I dunno. It was where I used to go when I turned 18 which was near 10 years ago. I guess Wrights was built and then the new Harp as well so people went there instead. Bigger venue, place to dance and stuff. I think the Mayors upstairs is just for parties etc. now.

@Kiera - Didn't know that The Old Boro would be rough? But like I said I haven't been in there for about 4/5 years. The Wright Venue is jst too far for me to go to. I wanna be able to stumble walk home. :D

The Old School House, as in the restaurant?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rjb80

Kiera wrote: »
    I don’t like the crowd in the Old Boro. I’ve seen quite a few scraps in there so I avoid it at all costs.

The old boro is a kip, I wouldn't go near it. You're best of starting in the cock and then heading to old wrights. Not that old wrights is a quality venue or anything but its just better than the other options.

Yeah, i've also been told that the old school house is worth a go.

rjb80 wrote: »
    The old boro is a kip, I wouldn't go near it. You're best of starting in the cock and then heading to old wrights. Not that old wrights is a quality venue or anything but its just better than the other options.

Yeah, i've also been told that the old school house is worth a go.

That's what I was thinking.

How have I missed The Old School House as a bar?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

I can, generally echo other posters comments in relation to the Old Boro. It's a nice looking bar and most of the time you don't get a lot of grief in it (especially during the week) but I have seen a fair few incidents there in the last while. Generally nothing major but when I am in there I can often be on edge waiting for something to boil over.

Having said that, I was there last Saturday and there weren't any difficulties.

The cock has lovely food and is a good place before 11. I usually go to Wrights (old) and I have actually found a fondness for it. Especially 80s Tuesday night, good craic.

I haven't ventured up to the New Wrights, it doesn't sounds like my cup of Tea at all.

The Old Schoolhouse is good for food (bar and restaurant). The bar is decent too, generally an older crowd though and usually live music at weekends - some bands are a bit flakey though. And traditional sessions during the week (some of the lads who play in the Harp and the Pound)

I used to like the Estuary (the lounge) - much older crowd and they had some great bands on a Saturday night and their bar staff were among the friendliest and easy going in the town (probably due to the type of clientelle). But sadly it's lost it's appeal imo, since they renovated the place.

The carnegie is lovely (and cheap) for Sunday food (early bird menu) €18.50 for 4 course meal.

I haven't been in the Mayors, the Lamb or the Star in years so not sure what happens in those spots these days.

Old Wrights probably trumps it for me at the moment

I am 26 by the way.

Kiera wrote: »
    I’m not keen on Velvet at all. I think there are more posers in there than the Venue tbh. Plus it’s a very young crowd. The cock is a great spot for food and drinks. Wrights is a good spot of a bit of a bop. I don’t like the crowd in the Old Boro. I’ve seen quite a few scraps in there so I avoid it at all costs.

I know not many of you like the Venue but I think the second floor (purple bar) is great craic. They play 70’s + 80’s music up there so the crowd are older and its more relaxed. You can have a wee bop there too :D

I didn't know the crowd varied from floor to floor, might go back and give the purple bar more of a go so, that sounds more like my kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I didn't know the crowd varied from floor to floor, might go back and give the purple bar more of a go so, that sounds more like my kind of thing.

Do you mind if I ask ya (and everyone else) a few questions about the new Wrights? :

1. Is it €15 entry like I've heard
    2. Are drinks (extra) expensive in it?
    3. Is true what I've heard about the door staff doing the whole look you up and down and refusing you entry if they feel you won't "fit in".
    4. is it big inside?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Yeah i was well impressed with the crowd upstairs. My nephew(24) goes to the club downstairs but the older ones head upstairs. I like it anyway, give me some cheesy music and i'm off :D
    I_am_Jebus wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask ya (and everyone else) a few questions about the new Wrights? :

1. Is it €15 entry like I've heard Yup
    2. Are drinks (extra) expensive in it? No they're the same price as a normal club/late bar
    3. Is true what I've heard about the door staff doing the whole look you up and down and refusing you entry if they feel you won't "fit in". No not at all. It holds something like 2500 so i doubt they'd refuse anyone who wasnt too drunk or acting the dick.
    4. is it big inside? Yup its pretty big

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Think the Harp is still good I think. I haven't had it, but the food in The Cock Tavern looks amazing! Must try it sometime.

order me the ribs and a pint of harp please ! Thanks

fights in the old boro? never heard of that kind of messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

fights in the old boro? never heard of that kind of messing.

Ah it gets them from time to time, but then again, what late night pub doesn't? I've always noticed a slightly heightened sense of volatility in the place though. Maybe it's just me.

Don't go to Velvet unless you're a teenager.

Just drank in the house and then went to Wrights, as in old Wrights.

Was grand. Not the best place for a boogie, too small. As Keira said, more of a place to bop. That's all ya can do. :( Great music though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Old Wrights is useless for dancing, it's far too small and it's always packed!

I've only been to new Wrights once and it was fun but it was our Christmas party so I didn't have to pay in. 15e sounds pricey but I'd rather pay it to a big nightclub like Wrights instead of bleedin' Tamangos in Malahide. 15e there too and three euro for your coat! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chris83

Hello

Does anyone have a link or contact number for Old Wrights please?
    Looking to organise a group of about 30 people to go to a nice pub on a Wednesday night in April, that maybe do a bit of finger food too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Chris83 wrote: »
    Hello

Does anyone have a link or contact number for Old Wrights please?
    Looking to organise a group of about 30 people to go to a nice pub on a Wednesday night in April, that maybe do a bit of finger food too!

Number for Old Wrights is 01-8406744 http://bloodystream.ie/wrightscafebar/index.html

Its a good spot but the Cock Tavern is also pretty good and do good food aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chris83

hitman79 wrote: »
    Number for Old Wrights is 01-8406744 http://bloodystream.ie/wrightscafebar/index.html

Its a good spot but the Cock Tavern is also pretty good and do good food aswell.

Thanks, so its more of a wine bar?
    I was looking for somewhere a bit more 'traditional' if you know what I mean. We're coming over from Liverpool to drink and sing (and be merry, hopefully!) oh and get married.

Advertisement