Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chance to meet Robbie Keane

Options
  • 11-01-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Lads

Sunderland fan here, I come in peace :D

Lifestyle Sports are offering tickets to meet Keane in Tallaght if any of you lot are interested? Here's the link anyway.

I heard the bi-annual 'Robbie Keane to Sunderland' rumour again this morning - might enter this myself so I, see if I can't sell Costa Del Wearside to him...

Spav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

The ONLY reason I'd like to meet Robbie is to ask him to stop being such a whingeing twat and get on with playing football.
    Every time I see him, early in a game, whining to the ref, I KNOW he's a waste of space on the pitch and the sooner he's subbed the better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

BOLT wrote: »
    The ONLY reason I'd like to meet Robbie is to ask him to stop being such a whingeing twat and get on with playing football.
    Every time I see him, early in a game, whining to the ref, I KNOW he's a waste of space on the pitch and the sooner he's subbed the better...

bit harsh bolt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Grow a brain :rolleyes:

Great attitude to have towards a bloke who has done so much for our club.

Next, you'll be telling me he doesn't do it at International level...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I see that Robbie Keane is the 2nd highest scorer of the decade in the premier league and in 10th place top scorer since the EPL began..not bad for a waste of space..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

tippspur wrote: »
    I see that Robbie Keane is the 2nd highest scorer of the decade in the premier league and in 10th place top scorer since the EPL began..not bad for a waste of space..;)
    +1
    Certainly has surprised me, since i've been on here, some of the negativity towards him from some fans.

Even in this 'less successful' spell since he came back, he's still scored 11 league goals in 28 league appearances, about 1 in every 2.5 games (which is about in line with his career average).

He's basically a 15 league goals a season man if he played all the time. Which isn't the best in a Lineker, Klinsmann type mould, but is still a handy contribution. And he's had much more longevity than those guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Hatch99 wrote: »

Agree with both hatch and bolt, he's done a lot over the years for us but he a shadow of his former self. Do people forget what he did to us?.He was gone like a hot snot when a so called bigger team came calling , all that badge kissing over the years went out the window. I too am sick of him whining to refs,its time to move him on while we can get a few quid for him.

BERBA wrote: »
    Agree with both hatch and bolt, he's done a lot over the years for us but he a shadow of his former self. Do people forget what he did to us?.He was gone like a hot snot when a so called bigger team came calling , all that badge kissing over the years went out the window. I too am sick of him whining to refs,its time to move him on while we can get a few quid for him.
    'shadow of his former self' - he's still scored goals at a similar rate despite being on the bench, being substituted all the time (only completed 3 league games all season) and being played out on the left while Modric was injured. Early season he looked really sharp, I was really impressed with him, maybe he's gone off the boil a bit recently but its a bit early to be dismissing him - I trust Harry, who continually raves about his effect on the dressing room (he's our captain remember!) and continually states he's not going anywhere just yet.

As for Robbie leaving to take up the challenge of Champions League football, does that mean you also have an axe to grind over Glenn Hoddle (left us in '87 for dream of playing in Europe - Monaco)?

There is NO loyalty among ANY players, so you can either be bitter about every single defection, or just get on with it. You could argue Ledley King is real loyal, yet even his resolve has never been tested because he's so injury prone none of the top teams in Europe would touch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

BERBA wrote: »
    Do people forget what he did to us?.He was gone like a hot snot when a so called bigger team came calling , all that badge kissing over the years went out the window.

I think this is a little harsh. Ok, he went to Liverpool and it didn't work out - if the 'pool hadn't came in for him in the first place he would (I think) been quite happy at Spurs. Good Squad player to have. After he stormed down the tunnel a couple of years ago and got fined a couple of weeks wages - he knuckled down and fought for his place back and (rightly at the time) got it back. As for your name sake at Utd - I wouldn't EVER want to see him wear a Tottenham jersey again - might have more skill but not heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

tomo75 wrote: »
    As for your name sake at Utd - I wouldn't EVER want to see him wear a Tottenham jersey again - might have more skill but not heart.

+1 . But he was a genius .. in a different league to keano....he made his bed he can lie in it now ..Bit like me and me username:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

tippspur wrote: »

sense and who cares about whining to refs and generally giving out? Would we prefer to go back to he likes of Walker smirking when he left 6 in up in Bolton?

I agree Robbies best days are behind him but I still think he can do a job this season off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

When he's on form there are few players to touch him imo - throughout 2007 he got 31 goals and 13 in 41 starts (according to Wiki).

His confidence seems to have taken a battering after the spell at Liverpool, and I don't think 'arry is especially good at helping players though lean patches either.

I'd love to see him at Sunderland, personally, even if it meant that Kenwyne Jones went the other way.

Robbie has consistently scored a league goal every 2.5 games through his league career. Even in this 2nd spell at Spurs. This is very productive, if not the absolute best like a Torres.

I notice from wiki that Kenwyne Jones scores a league goal every 3.25 games through his league career.

So no thankyou!!

p.s I alway use league goals v league appearances for comparing the productivity of strikers, IMO its the only fair barometer. Other strikers grab a hatful against lower division teams in the cups, or pub teams from Albania in Europe or even crap/mediocre teams at International level - like our very Peter Crouch - and their reputations somehow get distorted by the media. Another great example is your striker, ex-Spur Darrent Bent - constantly criticised by Spurs fans but consistently scores a lot of goals at league level throughout his career, and continuing to do so at Sunderland (13 league goals in 20 this season v Crouch's 4 goals in 20 this season) - so predictable yet Crouch is the media favourite & Bent isn't.

The jury is still out on Jones as far as Sunderland fans are concerned. He has the physical attributes and ability to be a world beater, but he's frustratingly inconsistent. Part of me thinks he'd excel at a decent attacking club like Spurs, but I wonder too whether it's just a case of him lacking a good footballing brain. He's certainly not lazy as some would have you believe - it's more a case of him all too often choosing the wrong run or pass.

Crouch was actually Bruce's first choice. So glad you got him and we got Bent - he has been a revelation for us, a perfect case of the right player at the right club.

spav wrote: »
    The jury is still out on Jones as far as Sunderland fans are concerned. He has the physical attributes and ability to be a world beater, but he's frustratingly inconsistent. Part of me thinks he'd excel at a decent attacking club like Spurs, but I wonder too whether it's just a case of him lacking a good footballing brain. He's certainly not lazy as some would have you believe - it's more a case of him all too often choosing the wrong run or pass.

Crouch was actually Bruce's first choice. So glad you got him and we got Bent - he has been a revelation for us, a perfect case of the right player at the right club.
    Lucky escape for you mate. I think even the PL managers fall into the trap that Crouch is good for a team mainly because he's so tall - he's actually terrible in the air, and that being the case, I just don't see what he brings!

If Bent was playing up front for us alongside Defoe those extra 9 goals may have seen us sitting at the top of the league right now!

I'm really glad he's doing really well for you, I was a great believer in him.

Could have done without the personal abuse there...

Just an honest opinion that when Robbie starts whining to the ref, 'Arry might as well sub him straight away.

Nowhere did I say he was ****e it's just that he is a far more productive player when he just bloody gets on with it!

Could have done without the personal abuse there...

Just an honest opinion that when Robbie starts whining to the ref, 'Arry might as well sub him straight away.

Nowhere did I say he was ****e it's just that he is a far more productive player when he just bloody gets on with it!

Crouch has a touch of that from what I've seen. I know defenders get away with murder when it comes to him, but you just know that the minute he starts to let it get to him, that's his game as good as finished.

Hatch99 wrote: »

Your sarcasm does you a great dis-service...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I don't think Keane is up to it any longer at this level.
    He's not the player he was and poses little threat to the opposition these days.
    I would be amazed if he ever wins back his starting place in the team.

I would like to see us offload him for someone like Bellamy (for example). However, if we can't get a better replacement then we should hang onto him until the summer as there will be games between now and May when we're gonna need him.

As for the great things he's given Spurs over the years, I'm not too sure about that. He's been paid very well for his time and I would say that in his 8 or so seasons at Spurs he's been excellent in no more than 2 or 3. In my opinion he peaked from 06-08 when he played with Berbatov but sadly it's been pretty much down hill ever since.

Since the Campbell fiasco I don't get emotionaly attached to players any more, it's just a job to them and we mean nothing. Keane proved this beyond any doubt when he ran up the road to Liverpool. It didn't surprise me one bit when it happend and I don't hold it against him, that's just the modern game for for you. Playing for Spurs is just a job to Keane (and the rest). I just hope the club are as clinical as Keane was when they decide to move him on.

In summary, I think it's time for Robbie to move on to a standard more suited to his ability (Mid-Table PL) or Celtic. We need to be looking at getting players in with more to offer if we're ever gonna be one of the big boys.

Rant Over :)

Your sarcasm does you a great dis-service...

Bolt, I didn't mean to be rude etc, I just thought your synopsis was a wee bit ignorant on Robbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

keano WAS always a firm favourie at the lane.
    he dirtied his bib when he left i for one was disgusted with all the preseason i happy at tottenham chatter.
    but he is a spurs player again and although his talents may be what they once were he still gets my 100% support on match day.

dont want to meet him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

I would like to see us offload him for someone like Bellamy (for example).

I know its only an example but I think this guy would be a major step backwards. Granted a good player when on form but if things aren't going his way then its golf clubs out of the bag!:P

I don't think Keane is up to it any longer at this level.
    He's not the player he was and poses little threat to the opposition these days.
    I would be amazed if he ever wins back his starting place in the team.

I would like to see us offload him for someone like Bellamy (for example). However, if we can't get a better replacement then we should hang onto him until the summer as there will be games between now and May when we're gonna need him.

As for the great things he's given Spurs over the years, I'm not too sure about that. He's been paid very well for his time and I would say that in his 8 or so seasons at Spurs he's been excellent in no more than 2 or 3. In my opinion he peaked from 06-08 when he played with Berbatov but sadly it's been pretty much down hill ever since.

Since the Campbell fiasco I don't get emotionaly attached to players any more, it's just a job to them and we mean nothing. Keane proved this beyond any doubt when he ran up the road to Liverpool. It didn't surprise me one bit when it happend and I don't hold it against him, that's just the modern game for for you. Playing for Spurs is just a job to Keane (and the rest). I just hope the club are as clinical as Keane was when they decide to move him on.

In summary, I think it's time for Robbie to move on to a standard more suited to his ability (Mid-Table PL) or Celtic. We need to be looking at getting players in with more to offer if we're ever gonna be one of the big boys.

Rant Over :)
    I agree that he's not right up there amongst the current best strikers in the PL. But neither is Crouch or Pav.

Like i've said a lot on here - we need a 25+ PL goals a season man to partner Defoe. Its goals that win games and challenge for honours. Look how Man U have struggled to replace the goals of Ronaldo.

We spent a combined £42m + wages on Keane, Crouch, Pav and a couple of young full-backs from Sheffield Utd.

The combined return on that £42m this season has been 10 PL goals and about 36 PL appearances.

Yet we won't pay Van Nistelrooy's wages or go that extra mile to get Arshevin (12 league goals already this season more than the £42m signings combined!) when we could have got him last year.

I don't buy this 'we have 4 great strikers' line - we have ONE great striker!

p.s bit harsh over Keane's career at Spurs - he was top scorer for us 02/03 and 03/04! And yes, he was exceptional for us too 05/06, 06/07 and 07/08. The only reason he didn't do well in 04/05 is cos he couldn't get a consistent game as Defoe/Mido/Kanoute were the preferred strikers. He's won our player of the season 3 times and he's in our Top10 leading all-time goal-scorers! Its hardly a bad record!

p.s bit harsh over Keane's career at Spurs - he was top scorer for us 02/03 and 03/04! And yes, he was exceptional for us too 05/06, 06/07 and 07/08. The only reason he didn't do well in 04/05 is cos he couldn't get a consistent game as Defoe/Mido/Kanoute were the preferred strikers. He's won our player of the season 3 times and he's in our Top10 leading all-time goal-scorers! Its hardly a bad record!

Very nicely put ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Just saying it as I see it.

02-04 he was the only decent striker at the club. Ferdinand, Sheringham and Iversen were finished. Certinaly wasn't outstanding back then but did well non the less I suppose. I think he has only had a couple of outstanding seasons out of 8.

Good servant but he's been paid well for his services and at the end of the day it's just a job to him.

All just my humble opinion.

Ferdinand, Sheringham and Iversen were finished.
    Good servant but he's been paid well for his services and at the end of the day it's just a job to him.

Did Iversen ever get started :), remember Bayern made a 10m bid for him once :o

Aint it just a job to most if not all of them.

Just saying it as I see it.

02-04 he was the only decent striker at the club. Ferdinand, Sheringham and Iversen were finished. Certinaly wasn't outstanding back then but did well non the less I suppose. I think he has only had a couple of outstanding seasons out of 8.

All just my humble opinion.
    No worries man.

I think once Keane has retired he will be remembered as being 'very good' in a pretty poor decade for us. He'll never be classed in the Greaves/Lineker/Klinsmann bracket, probably the next tier down with the likes of Allen, Sheringham, Archibald and Crooks.

Advertisement