Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help Identify

Options
  • 11-01-2010 5:31pm

Hey guys

I rescued a tortoise over the christmas. Somebody got rid of it as they got a new animal and i took it in. At the time i was told that it was a Russian Horsefield Toitoise. At the time i got it, it was dis-coloured and grey .

Now that i have it up and running around eating again, i am begining to see a different tortoise. To me the closest i can find thanks to google is a yellow footed tortoise but i am looking for your opinion .

See picture ....

17574229656427893618527.th.jpg

any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

You could try this site http://www.herpera.com/landtortoises.htm if you see yours click on the pictures the english name comes up.

I have done that already. Thats why i am looking for other opinions .

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

The first thing I thought when I saw the pic was yellow foot... before I even saw that you think it is one too. I never had one but I have kept red foots, if the care is the same then you don't put them under UV, although they do like it to be hot, instead you feed them a small pinkie once a month or so, and keep the cage slightly humid... now that's for a red foot but as far as I know it's similar care for a yellow.
    Basically its the reverse of most tortoises in that they need to be kept humid, don't like UV and need very small amounts of protein (they eat the odd bit of carrion in the wild), as they live in shady, humid forests in Central America.

Don't know if yellows are like the reds, but the reds are cracking little torts in that they become very confident and curious around humans. The ones I kept were savages for strawberry and dandelions. They also benefit from a shallow, luke warm bath every week or so as this helps them to poo!

Anythng written by David Alderton on tortoises is good reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

PS something like Komodo Tropical Terrain might be a more suitable substrate to maintain humidity and allow them to dig around.

I actually got it confirmed to be a yellow foot by Kinseally pet store. Gettin on great with it at the moment. Really loves the humidity and loves the soaking it gets in the evening also. Thanks for your advice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Really loves the humidity and loves the soaking it gets in the evening also.

Only soak twice a week. As you might have noticed a tortoise will poop as soon as its put in water, if you soak too often you run the risk of moving food through its system too fast before the body has a chance to absorb it fully. If your humidity is right you shouldn't need to soak everyday, your tort will be well hydrated.

Advertisement