Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novels about love - recommendations

Options
  • 11-01-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I tend to gravitate towards novels with really strong love stories at the center.

Just looking for any recommendations for modern novels or recently published novels that mightn't have crossed my radar as I think at this stage I've gone through all the classics. Or any Irish novels which stick out?

Some of my favourite love stories are:

The Pursuit of Love/ Love in a Cold Climate
    White Palace
    Wuthering Heights
    Far from the Madding Crowd
    The English Patient
    The Heat of Day
    Rebecca
    A Room with a View
    The End of the Affair
    The Go-between

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Love in the time of cholera?

Death in Venice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭lly

How about the time travellers wife....

Not really too high level, but one of my favourite as the love story is key to it and its very moving... Suggested it as Rebecca is on your list and that is another of my favourite books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jobin

One Day by David Nicholls is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill is an excellent book.

I recommended this book in another thread the other day and I can't praise it highly enough.

However, as the title may have given away, it's not a heterosexual novel. :)

If you don't have any hang ups about reading a book with two male characters in love than it's definitely one to keep an eye out for.

It's an Irish novel, set in Dublin during the rising so as you can imagine it has political/ historical themes.

Once you sink your teeth into it I can guarantee you won't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I really like Lionel Shriver's books that focus on relationships.
    In particular 'The post birthday world'.

Hanif Kureishi's 'Intimacy' stayed with me a long time also. That is about a break up, but anyone who has lived with a partner in a long term relationship would probably find a lot of it rings true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 missusblagh

Isabelle Allende's books are gorgeous.
    The description of the relationships isn't soppy- it looks at love from a very human and physical point of view, there's never any 'destiny' , 'meant to be', crapstuff in it.

Also, the protagonists don't necissarily end up with the person you'd think, which I like.

I don't know if this is what you're interested in, but I'd recommend:
    Daughter of Fortune, and Portrait in Sepia, they're my favourite.

House of Spirits is her most famous one, but I actually haven't go around to reading it yet!

(Oh and most of the books are based in South America you should know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭CuriousOne

buck65 wrote: »
    Love in the time of cholera?

Yes, indeed. An exquisite read - http://www.scribd.com/doc/7356780/Marquez-Gabriel-Garcia-Love-in-the-Time-of-Cholera

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Fiesta: Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway is, off the top of my head, the most enjoyable love novel Ive read. Its not a positive love story though. The characterization in it is immense! Along with all the usual Hemingway greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lolita.

Not a conventional love story but still a brilliant book that has a love story (of sorts) at the centre of it. Not quite sure if it's what you're looking for but I would suggest giving it a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Morzadec wrote: »
    Lolita.

Not a conventional love story but still a brilliant book that has a love story (of sorts) at the centre of it. Not quite sure if it's what you're looking for but I would suggest giving it a read.

Best opening line ever....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

I know you mentioned modern/recently published novels, but I'm still going to throw The Age of Innocence out there...takes a bit of a push to get through the first few chapters, then turns into a subtle, sophisticated, elegant love story...one of the few books I was really sceptical with all the way through, then suddenly very affected by at the end!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Morzadec wrote: »
    Lolita.

+1
    Isabelle Allende's books are gorgeous.

+1

I much perfer Isabelle Allende to Gabriel García Márquez. They are both considered "magical realism". Allende's stuff is actually interesting. My mind would wander reading GGM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I am a man, and hence, have no emotions. I recently read a book which dealt with the theme of married live, the death of love, mediocrity etc. (Sinclair Lewis, 'Main Street') For platonic love you can't go much further than 'The Road' by Mc Carthy.

Also, 'Baudalino' has a strong love interest near the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I'm also an emotionless male, so my advice is probably worthless :p The Time Traveler's Wife (I really hate the Americanised spelling of "traveller" :mad:) is a good love story that I finished recently. I would have recommended Wuthering Heights but you listed it in your first post...

Advertisement