Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats my 08 5-series worth? (trade in & private)

• 11-01-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

hey folks,

need an idea of what to ask for my 520d for trade-in and/or private sale. basically got my name on a waiting list for a new one and am selling the old one in the meantime. its a:
    08D 520d manual (156 a year road tax)
    , full leather,
    bluetooth
    ,aircon
    ,uprated 17" alloys
    ,multifunction steering wheel,
    20Km on clock

i'm thinking 28 private, 25 dealer. am i way off??

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I would have said you are about right, hard to tell for sure it this market though. Could be looking at 2-3k worse on both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

ouch, is that cos there is a new model out? some savage depreciation is that is the case (considering is was >50K new)

ouch, is that cos there is a new model out? some savage depreciation is that is the case (considering is was >50K new)

I'd say mostly because the new price is much less than that now and imports are pretty cheap also. It varies from month to month though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That car new now is only around 40k I think so that will add to the drop but luckily this will be reflected in the cost to change.
    Im in the same boat with my 08 Audi A5. Listed at 54.5k (Paid 51.5k straight) in early 08 Whats it worth now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd say you're about right. But you're relatively lucky. Imagine what an '07 is worth now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It probably still beats leasing one if you keep it for another 2 years. :) Otherwise you might of been better off on a lease agreement :(

The only real way to know these days is to see what you actually get offered. Dealer offers are the best gague of the market. What they are actually pricing them at is usually miles off what the offer for them, they can afford to wait a long time for a possible sale.

I imported last year and brought a year old car in for roughly 50% of list here. A year later it's probably worth 65% less than list when new, which as list has come down a bit is ~ 55-60% less than current list. An irish car would be about the same as any 3-4% difference would be offset by the extra year warranty.

Looking at whats on carzone, there are a few at 28k and a fair few at more. The lower end on carzone is usually a fair bit above what dealers will offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

hey folks,

need an idea of what to ask for my 520d for trade-in and/or private sale. basically got my name on a waiting list for a new one and am selling the old one in the meantime. its a:
    08D 520d manual (156 a year road tax)
    , full leather,
    bluetooth
    ,aircon
    ,uprated 17" alloys
    ,multifunction steering wheel,
    20Km on clock

i'm thinking 28 private, 25 dealer. am i way off??

I hope I don't offend you but why on earth would you want to get rid of a car thats barely run in and lose so much on what you paid for it?

Is this the price one has to pay to keep their car up to date??!!! :eek:

you raise a fair point, but TBH the appeal of the auto on the new model has really swung it for me. that and the fact that the more i wait the more its gonna cost me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Not really the first two years are the worst for depreciation unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

to have an edge, market it at 26950 OP.
    These are selling sue to the attractive roadtax/Co2.
    However, if I was buying one I'd go for a 05 one. They're to be had for 8.5 to 10k £ in the uk and eventhough it'd be still on the old tax system, it's easily justified and stomached with the savings for a nice diesel like this.
    This is the kind of competition you are facing into an the mindset of buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

you raise a fair point, but TBH the appeal of the auto on the new model has really swung it for me. that and the fact that the more i wait the more its gonna cost me :(

In fairness no one is forcing you to sell your car, you've convinced yourself you'll be better off with a new car, when in fact you'll be a lot worse off.

A newer more up to date car is always going to be more appealing and yes indeed the longer you keep your car the less it will be worth. But to use that as a reason to buy a new car as soon as possible is completely illogical. "I've got to get rid of it before its worth even less" when the car is only a year old to begin with.

By the same reasoning, why not wait another two years and get much more mileage out of it, at which point the depreciation will have flattened out a bit and you'll loose less in the long run. As opposed to the value in the first two years dropping like a stone as mentioned above.

Having said that, if you have your heart set on the new shape and the autobox, go for it. It's also important to remember that the new 5 you get will be the very first version on the road, which is often a down point when you go to sell it 2-3 years down the road when revised models hit the showrooms. You also have the "potential" of bugs that need to be ironed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Take the hit on the depreciation now.....

Then take the depreciation hit again on the new one in 2 years time when you go to sell it for the new M-Sport....

(While we all wait behind you to buy your old cars....)

TWO YEARS for the M-sport? but thats what I'm after. looks like i'm sitting pretty for the moment. any link for that 2 year thing BTW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My granny's neighbour tried to sell a 08 520d Auto LAST February, he priced it at €29,995 and sold it for closer to €25k private. That car was a year newer. You won't get a whole lot more privately as your car is nearly out of warranty also if it is a 08.

I think rabbitinlights means the new M5 which is due out in '12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

No, I wasn't really talking about specifics..... I'm just talking in general!!!

I don't think the M-Sport (not the M5) will be around till very late 2010 or early 2011, they always leave the SE shape for around 5-6 months.

S.

Ah ok. Sorry rabbitinlights. I was presuming wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Am I missing something with the annual road tax? The manual 520D is listed at 158g/km which is in the €447 bracket for tax no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Am I missing something with the annual road tax? The manual 520D is listed at 158g/km which is in the €447 bracket for tax no?

No.

Maybe the early 163bhp 520d models were, but since late 07 when Effecient Dynamics were introduced (along with an upgrade to 177bhp) it's been a fair bit lower. Not sure if late 07 were as low on emissions as they are now, but the current 520d (or old model now if you like) is 136g/km for the manual and 149g/km for the Auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep ED was introduced in late 2007, Co2 on the manual went from 158g/km to 136g/km while power went from 163bhp to 177bhp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

To the Op is your car an M-Sport model & out of interest why did you go diesel given your low amount of driving?

my car is a manual as only the manuals diesel (in E60 form) have the 156 tax. not an M-sport as they are only available in auto on the E60 520d. i got diesel cos of low tax (was paying €1500 a year on a 3.2L W220 - madness). the diesel was cheaper than the petrol which is why I got it (low emissions = low VRT). TBH I'm moving away from trading in now til at least 2012 as this morning I received a quote of 19.5K from a MAIN BMW dealer for trade in. not worth it at those prices (or even close)

They are taking the piss tbh with those kind of prices. How much would they be retailing your car for I wonder. And before any of the trade people reply with details of overheads & profits required, Im aware of that but those figures are just too low.

If you were to stick your car up for 20k right now, it would sell instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

i got diesel cos of low tax (was paying €1500 a year on a 3.2L W220 - madness).
    Is it just me, or is €1,500pa in road tax buttons compared to €10,000pa in depreciation?;)

i had paid 4 years of it. 6K. and the car was worth about 40K less in depreciation. so TRUST ME, the longer you wait the more depreciation will hit

i had paid 4 years of it. 6K. and the car was worth about 40K less in depreciation. so TRUST ME, the longer you wait the more depreciation will hit
    Yes and no. Remember, the last few years were exceptional times. As a general rule, though, depreciation levels off fairly dramatically after the first few years.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Yes and no. Remember, the last few years were exceptional times. As a general rule, though, depreciation levels off fairly dramatically after the first few years.

But an old S class as the OP had, these keep losing money hand over fist until they get to about 5k value. The depreciation on those can still be scary at 5, 6+ years old.

I woud have thought 16 to 17k euro would be sufficient to change up to new 520d from a 2 year old one. I guess its the new model thats killing the price even more here.
    I wonder how much the dealer would want from the OP to change to a 2010 E60 520d. I have a feeling the E60 wouldnt be quite so much 'old hat' then according to the sales man.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    But an old S class as the OP had, these keep losing money hand over fist until they get to about 5k value. The depreciation on those can still be scary at 5, 6+ years old
    I suppose so. The only way to be sure would be to do the calculations based on the OP's having kept the W220 until now instead of buying the 520d. My point was really that road tax is a very visible expense, but is almost always dwarfed by the likes of depreciation.

Yes I get your point & it is a valid one. Mny people though like to get as new a car as possible and have no unforeseen costs. The only major cost to them then is a set repayment each month. Its a bit silly I know.

TBH I'm moving away from trading in now til at least 2012 as this morning I received a quote of 19.5K from a MAIN BMW dealer for trade in. not worth it at those prices (or even close)

Ouch! Thats a real feck off we don't want the car quote though. I definitely think 23-25 is more realistic trade in and 25-27 a realistic private sale price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

HMM i'd sell it for 25,000 and buy a 5000 grand diesel automatic lol

not an M-sport as they are only available in auto on the E60 520d.
    I do not believe that this is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

Buy an E200 and watch it depreciate ever so slowly.

Plus it'll add to the value of your house when you come to sell it.

:)

ONQ.

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    Sounds funny to me too. That said, BMW can be funny - when the 325d was launched here it was only available in manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Take the hit on the depreciation now.....

Then take the depreciation hit again on the new one in 2 years time when you go to sell it for the new M-Sport....

(While we all wait behind you to buy your old cars....)

OP, wait. There is a tax efficient replacement for the marvelous 535d in the works. Buy that one. Then sell it to me.

OP, wait. There is a tax efficient replacement for the marvelous 535d in the works. Buy that one. Then sell it to me.

How tax efficient? Isnt the current one around €600 now to tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭henry hill

TBH I'm moving away from trading in now til at least 2012 as this morning I received a quote of 19.5K from a MAIN BMW dealer for trade in. not worth it at those prices (or even close)

OP ~ do you think there was much room for negotiation with this trade in price? What were they offering you the new car at?

Is it just me or is a quote of 19.5K a complete joke? Below are some prices from the BMW Ireland site for used 5 series - the cheapest being 21.5K.

Can someone please explain the dealers logic on the trade-in price in this instance (other then greed)? Thanks

# Description Dealer Mileage Year Price
    1. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Aherns (BMW) 65,500 2006 €21,500
    2. 5 Series 523i SE Sal Morrison (BMW & MINI) 30,642 2006 €21,950
    3. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Morrison (BMW & MINI) 56,919 2007 €23,950
    4. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Morrison (BMW & MINI) 61,437 2007 €23,950
    5. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Frank Keane (BMW & MINI) 59,568 2007 €23,995
    6. 5 Series 520d MSprt Tour Frank Keane (BMW & MINI) 60,070 2006 €23,995
    7. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Morrison (BMW & MINI) 49,800 2007 €24,950
    8. 5 Series 525d SE Sal J Donohoe (BMW & MINI) 68,254 2006 €24,950
    9. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Aherns (BMW) 39,721 2006 €24,950
    10. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Kearys (BMW & MINI) 62,645 2007 €25,900
    11. 5 Series 520d SE Sal McKeon Motors 47,388 2007 €25,950
    12. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Joe Duffy (BMW & MINI) 56,728 2007 €25,995
    13. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Joe Duffy (BMW & MINI) 34,461 2007 €25,995
    14. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Joe Duffy (BMW & MINI) 38,392 2007 €25,995
    15. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Joe Duffy (BMW & MINI) 37,383 2007 €25,995
    16. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Kearys (BMW & MINI) 37,339 2007 €26,900
    17. 5 Series 525i MSprt Sal N. Conlan and Sons 57,655 2007 €26,950
    18. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Frank Keane (BMW & MINI) 57,337 2007 €26,995
    19. 5 Series 520d SE Sal J Donohoe (BMW & MINI) 52,342 2007 €27,950
    20. 5 Series 520d SE Sal N. Conlan and Sons 75,174 2007 €28,000
    21. 5 Series 525d SE Sal Kearys (BMW & MINI) 40,389 2007 €29,900
    22. 5 Series 520d SE Sal J Donohoe (BMW & MINI) 27,092 2008 €29,950 **similar to OP's
    23. 5 Series 520d SE Sal Joe Duffy (BMW & MINI) 21,811 2007 €29,995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Are they bringing out a 523d? That'd be a nice bus and should be similar tax wise as it's the same engine just with another turbo.
    onq wrote: »
    Buy an E200 and watch it depreciate ever so slowly

Erm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

EPM wrote: »
    Are they bringing out a 523d? That'd be a nice bus and should be similar tax wise as it's the same engine just with another turbo.

520d initially with similar CO2, economy to the current model* to satisfy the early adopters. I'd expect better engines in 2011 though - deffo a 540d and prob the 523d as you mention.

*for the manual. Auto drops a tax bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The current one produces 178 g/km, putting it in tax band E (€630).

There is allready a twin turbo variant of the 3L N57 new 525d and 530d. It is used in the new 740d (301bhp, 600Nm, tax band E). I wouldn't be surprised to see this used in a 540d, followed by a 535d in tax band D a year or so later.

There is allready a twin turbo variant of the 3L N57 new 525d and 530d. It is used in the new 740d (301bhp, 600Nm, tax band E).

That's about €0.50 per BHP. Not bad :D

My current car is about €5.00 per BHP and my previous car was way worse than that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

its not true, ive been in a few E60's that were M-Sport from factory and manual which equated to 156e per year motor tax. the auto is 302e.

but 630e is a small price to pay for a 286bhp car considering a 2007 335d woild be 1200 odd to tax per year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I was wondering about this too. My mate has been looking into 520d M Sports for the last 6 months and hes no intention of getting an autobox, unless hes overlooked something.

I was wondering about this too. My mate has been looking into 520d M Sports for the last 6 months and hes no intention of getting an autobox, unless hes overlooked something.
    I'm going to stick my neck out here and guess that 80% of all post-July 08 520ds are manual, M Sport or not.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm going to stick my neck out here and guess that 80% of all post-July 08 520ds are manual, M Sport or not.:)
    If you can run a 520d, the tax differnece of €146 manual vs. auto isn't going to put an 80% skew on the stats.

ninty9er wrote: »
    If you can run a 520d, the tax differnece of €146 manual vs. auto isn't going to put an 80% skew on the stats.
    Indeed but the extra 4% VRT that you'll pay on the price of the car from new added to the cost of the auto box itself means that the auto box adds €4340 to the new price.

some good advice here, especially in relation to new engines such as 523d so I think the name of the game is to hold off. either way can't afford to give it away to the stealers

Advertisement