Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler not working

• 11-01-2010 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey

We ran out of oil on Saturday & just got a delivery of 1000litres of Kerosene but the boiler isnt working. I flick the switch to turn on the heating and nothing happens. The boiler (Ahlmann?? probably about 30yrs old) has a button thats lit up on the front and when i press that it starts but only for about 20seconds.

Any idea how i can fix this?

Thanks
    Niamh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭vectrahed

you may need to open the boiler (i guess its out the back) and just press the reset button, should be a big red one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

It mite just need bleeding, could have a air lock. Not sure how its done on your model. Mine can do this if i let it run dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

It may need to be bled. Depending on what kind of boiler you have, check other posts for help. If it ran out of oil, it definitely is airlocked and needs to be bled.

niamh86 wrote: »
    Hey

We ran out of oil on Saturday & just got a delivery of 1000litres of Kerosene but the boiler isnt working. I flick the switch to turn on the heating and nothing happens. The boiler (Ahlmann?? probably about 30yrs old) has a button thats lit up on the front and when i press that it starts but only for about 20seconds.

Any idea how i can fix this?

Thanks
    Niamh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you ran out of oil, then the burner will have started sucking air in from the tank. You will need to bleed the air out of the oil line, normally from the fuel pump on the burner. How this is done differs from boiler to boiler though so unless you can post exact makes/models of the burner, it'll be impossible to explain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭niamh86

wow that was quick. Thanks for the replies.

Yeah its outside in the boiler house. theres a few buttons & dials etc visable on it. Its a really old boiler so i have no idea whats what.

Is there something specific i should be looking for to remove the airlock? is it a valve or a dail or ??

(im clueless about anything diy btw :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Yeah its outside in the boiler house. theres a few buttons & dials etc visable on it. Its a really old boiler so i have no idea whats what.

Is there something specific i should be looking for to remove the airlock? is it a valve or a dail or ??

It's usually a screw or a nut that needs to be loosened while pressing the reset button. Your best bet is to ring a plumber. It only takes a few minutes to fix. If your tank runs dry in the future, ask the oil company if the driver will bleed the line for you while he's there. Some companies do this for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

A bit late with this advice but you should have asked the guy delivering the oil to bleed it for you. By and large, these guys are great to help out. I have had a similar experience and the Company I use are very obliging. Maybe, somebody (by the sounds of it, male) living near you could oblige if you ask nicely. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

There's air in your line which is causing the burner to cut out for lack of fuel. When it does this it needs to be reset. If you find the reset switch which is usually a round red plastic one behind the burner cover (the burner is the thing sticking out at the lower front of the boiler) and press it the boiler will try to start again. If you are lucky a few restarts will draw fuel into the burner and away you go. Otherwise you are going to have to bleed the fuel for which you will need someone who knows what they are doing. You could try googling for the user guide for the burner. Burners are separate devices to boilers even though they are attached together. Look for a name and model on the burner itself.

thanks again.

ok i found the model number its a Danfoss EBI no.052f0030. i have the cover off but just cant see anything to turn or twist. Could it be beside the oil tanker or is it always at the boiler beside the reset button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kylemore

Niamh, where the fuel pipe goes into the burner there should be a nut. If you loosen this nut slowly and wait for some fuel to come thorugh you should be then ok. Just tighten nut and press reset button

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help yesterday.

Of course you were all right it was an air block. My friends dad came down tonight and fixed it & i now know how to fix it in the future.

Thanks again :)

Advertisement