Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi keeps disconnecting on laptop vista

Options
  • 11-01-2010 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    I have an 8 month old acer 5920G laptop and when i have it on wifi at home, it disconnects randomly, could go fie for 20 mins or 5 mins..Its fine if i have it plugged straight in with ethernet connection.
    I have plugged out house digital phone in case signal is interfeering etc but no luck..
    I have read that a winsock reset fixed other peoples problems, but not sure whether to try it or not? can it do any harm or upset any files etc on laptop??

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Have you tried changing the channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭crxsi

how do u do that?is that different channel on router?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

i have a dell laptop and it keeps dissconecting from my router as well. but iam beginning to think that it has to do with the router being to far away its at the other side of the house approx 60ft away and it is upstairs and there is 8" of insulation in the floor. going to extend the cable and move the router down to the living room hopefully this should sort the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

lucky-colm wrote: »
    i have a dell laptop and it keeps dissconecting from my router as well. but iam beginning to think that it has to do with the router being to far away its at the other side of the house approx 60ft away and it is upstairs and there is 8" of insulation in the floor. going to extend the cable and move the router down to the living room hopefully this should sort the problem.

Insulation would not be a problem for wifi. If you have a DSL connection, get a phone extension wire and move the router.
    60 feet should be no problem for wifi, but thick stone walls might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭crxsi

my router is 6 feet away..i can place laptop right beside but it still disconnects..my signal strength is 100%..so its really puzzling..will try to find out how to change channel and try that....after that i havnt a clue..

Advertisement