Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teeth Grinding

Options
  • 11-01-2010 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Advice needed:

My dog grinds her teeth nearly all the time, though seems to be more when she is relaxing or about to go to sleep.
    I cant see it causing her any pain because as i see she only seems to do it when relaxing.
    Cant see it doing any damage to her teeth

The noise of it is awful, sends shivers down my spine every time, :(

It doesnt sounds like she is lightly grinding them, i mean it sounds like she is really grinding hard on her teeth.

Is there any reason behind this? Why would she even want to do this when relaxing? :confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hmmmm ive never heard of this before tbh. My guesses would be an over or under shot jaw where the teeth are misaligned. Or oversized molars or premolars that may need a dental to shave down. In humans when sleeping its a sign of stress so it could be an internal pain or stress response.

Again sorry..just guesses but its not a normal thing for dogs (ruminants definitely :D) and continual grinding will eventually cause tooth erosion so id get it checked out before you end up with a painful situation that could get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Starlights

Thanks for your reply Anniehoo

She doesnt do it ALL the time, just when she is relaxing or about to drift off to sleep.
    She is a boxer so has a bit of an undershot jaw.

I was just thinking if it was causing her pain she would do it all the time and not just when she is settled?

Think ill ask the vet about it again to be on safe side, doesnt seem to annoy her, just me LOL makes me cringe every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

my old dane did this a lot and she had a perfect bite...it was just one of her quirks ;)
    a friend of mine couldnt bear the noise but it didnt bother me and never did her any harm :cool:

Advertisement