Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Eireann - Cute Hoars???

Options
  • 11-01-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Is it just me that thinks that Met Eireann were cute enough in ensuring that Bat O’Keefe and the Government would be the ones with egg on their face over the cold snap?

Su Campu forecast a thaw for today & tomorrow last Thursday on these boards, yet a few days ago Met Eireann were convincing everyone - especially the government - it would last for another 10 days. Did they not see the possibilities for a thaw that Su Campu saw? Me thinks they did! ;)

Or did they have a bit of a pow-wow and decide ‘best we tell them nothing about the potential thaw, forecast the worst and if it’s not that bad we won’t come out as the villains either way’?

With all the media focusing on the cold weather, if they’d suggested a thaw and it hadn’t came, and the country came to a standstill, they would have been lynched from a-high, especially as the government ministers would have pointed the finger at them.

Hats off to them… the politics of weather forecasting hey! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Agreed met eireann with egg on their face big time!!!Havent a clue
    The whole organisation should be disbanded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Agreed met eireann with egg on their face big time!!!Havent a clue
    The whole organisation should be disbanded

I think you may want to reread my initial post bendybin, I wasn't saying that... on the contrary. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Met Eireann are just following in a long tradition of reverse forecasting. I worked in a shop in a seaside resort during the nineties and that summer the forecast was the exact opposite of what happened for a period of about three weeks.
    And if above anecdote is not true, then it should be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

snow ghost wrote: »
    Is it just me that thinks that Met Eireann were cute enough in ensuring that Bat O’Keefe and the Government would be the ones with egg on their face over the cold snap?

Su Campu forecast a thaw for today & tomorrow last Thursday on these boards, yet a few days ago Met Eireann were convincing everyone - especially the government - it would last for another 10 days. Did they not see the possibilities for a thaw that Su Campu saw? Me thinks they did! ;)

Or did they have a bit of a pow-wow and decide ‘best we tell them nothing about the potential thaw, forecast the worst and if it’s not that bad we won’t come out as the villains either way’?

With all the media focusing on the cold weather, if they’d suggested a thaw and it hadn’t came, and the country came to a standstill, they would have been lynched from a-high, especially as the government ministers would have pointed the finger at them.

Hats off to them… the politics of weather forecasting hey! ;)

well evelyn was cute enough this eve Radio 1 at 1758 with her update saying " we are not out of the woods yet" with the chance of rain turning to snow 2mor as it moves north. Lets face it, we are not gonna see widespread snow tomorrow apart from north midlands and north (maybe) yet Evelyn gave the impression it could be more than that....just to support the "10 day" approach they adoped:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the only thing thats consistant about met eireann ....is their inability to predict the weather.

• Advertisement

I think you may want to reread my initial post bendybin, I wasn't saying that... on the contrary. :)

ok so your trying to tell us met eireann had an idea of the thaw comming but were just playin it safe---pull the other one snow ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is no doubt about it but Met Eireann dont have a clue about the weather, only at the weekend they were telling us that we were stuck with this cold for at least 10 more days then hey presto today we have a big thaw, here in Galway the temp went up to 4 degrees and all the snow is almost gone. I think they have egg on their face big time as do the Government, if you want correct forecasts check in here or with our resident weather guy MT.

On another note where did this storm come from the first I heard about this was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

BBC Weather website. The only one I trust
    Metcheck - crap
    Met Eireann - crap
    RTE Weather - crap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Metcheck - crap
    Met Eireann - crap
    RTE Weather - crap

BBC weather hasn't forecast any of Dublin's snow correctly at all this year. They're deluded enough to think it wil snow in the capital heavily tomorrow.

Met Éireann and RTÉ are, in case you hadn't noticed, the same forecasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Fickidy

sdonn wrote: »
    BBC weather hasn't forecast any of Dublin's snow correctly at all this year. They're deluded enough to think it wil snow in the capital heavily tomorrow.

Met Éireann and RTÉ are, in case you hadn't noticed, the same forecasters.

Haha. Just looked that up. There isn't a chance of snow here tomorrow unfortunately. If only what they predicted was true!!

• Advertisement

How many thousands of tonnes of grit and salt at hughly inflated prices were ordered for this week because of met eireann forecast?
    Anybody taken resonsibility?
    The taxpayer foots the bill for this gross incompetence
    Whos been fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

How many thousands of tonnes of grit and salt at hughly inflated prices were ordered for this week because of met eireann forecast?
    Whos been fired?

We are not quite into summer just yet!!! Plenty of more frost and ice to come over the next month or two I reckon. The grit/rock salt won't go to waste.

And as for 'hugely inflated price', do you have any evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

There should be a special thread dedicated to that clown minister for transport, he didnt give a dam, saying we didnt need him, in other words if we dont need him then why are we paying his salary.

Pangea wrote: »
    There should be a special thread dedicated to that clown minister for transport, he didnt give a dam, saying we didnt need him, in other words if we dont need him then why are we paying his salary.

And the Minister for 'Transport' is now talking about having to restrict water to households... what has that got to do with transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Metcheck - crap
    Met Eireann - crap
    RTE Weather - crap

Not sure I'd trust the BBC Weather site, I've known it to be not very good in the past. If you want a different forecast to the above and usually good you could do a lot worse than MT Cranium of this very site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Whos been fired?

Why would someone be fired? It will be used at some point. What inflated prices was it bought at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Why would someone be fired? It will be used at some point.

Typical , up there own arse, civil service type response. Yes, it will be used at some point, just a pity the countries councils didn't think of that before now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Weather propaganda! they will have their work cut out for them when 'summer' comes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

All it takes is two hours frost during any of the forthcoming nights and these wet roads will freeze and all of the salt will be needed. This remains quite likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

We have the potential for frost & ice up to March so I don't think it will go to waste.
    On top if that the problem of shortage was a Europe wide one, not just little old Ireland. All of Europe looking for it at the same time we were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd trust the BBC Weather site, I've known it to be not very good in the past. If you want a different forecast to the above and usually good you could do a lot worse than MT Cranium of this very site.

I agree. Mr Cranium is excellent. However BBC weather did forecast sleet and snow from 15pm today over Dublin. I don't remember RTE saying the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I agree. Mr Cranium is excellent. However BBC weather did forecast sleet and snow from 15pm today over Dublin. I don't remember RTE saying the same thing

their(the bbc's) precipitation chart from two days ago showed snow over most of the country bar the south.

their(the bbc's) precipitation chart from two days ago showed snow over most of the country bar the south.

Agreed, the BBC were spot on.

I think they must have changed their precipitation chart today to account for advise met eireann were probably giving to the uk met office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Agreed, the BBC were spot on.

I think they must have changed their precipitation chart today to account for advise met eireann were probably giving to the uk met office?

The BBC charts usually are very spot on in the short term. Since they use the UKMO meseoscale model, this is hardly surprising. Ten out of Ten from me!

Advertisement