Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softmod the wii, exactly what hardware do I need?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Reading a few different methods. Seems tricky enough, a lot of steps to install a lot of different apps, etc...
    But what exactly do I need hardware wise?
    FYI, have a 4.1E wii.
    I need a sd card to install stuff, I figured that much out.
    But do I need a gamecube controller? Why? Where do I get one? Do I also need a gamecube memory card?
    Anyone found a decent guide for a 4.1E softmod?
    This is the one I have been trying to understand
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

All you need is an SD card. You only need the gamecube controller if BootMii is unresponsive to the usual controls (Power button to select your option, reset button to confirm). The Wiimotes will not work in BootMii, the sensor bar is not/cannot be initialised :D

Check out gbatemp.net, best guides for this sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

cheers mate.
    One quick question if you dont mind.
    Currently the wii starts up in some kind of channel viewer, the current loaded disc in the first window, a weather channel, etc.
    If I softmod it, will it still boot to this menu, or a different one? Like the bootmii menu?
    Dont want to confuse the kids.

garlad wrote: »
    cheers mate.
    One quick question if you dont mind.
    Currently the wii starts up in some kind of channel viewer, the current loaded disc in the first window, a weather channel, etc.
    If I softmod it, will it still boot to this menu, or a different one? Like the bootmii menu?
    Dont want to confuse the kids.

If you install BootMii as bootv2 (which you should if you can - it will make your Wii practically unbrickable if you mess something up later on) then if you have the BootMii application on the SD card when the Wii is powered on it will boot into that menu first.

There is no need to keep the BootMii applications on the SD Card once everything is set up, so you can remove them and the Wii will boot straight into the regular Channel Viewer you're familiar with :)

You will also have some new channels, like the Homebrew Channel that will allow you to browse the SD card and run apps like the media player, homebrew games etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You'll need a Wii too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

FYI, have a 4.1E wii.
    testicle wrote: »
    You'll need a Wii too.

Nice try :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If you install BootMii as bootv2 (which you should if you can - it will make your Wii practically unbrickable if you mess something up later on) then if you have the BootMii application on the SD card when the Wii is powered on it will boot into that menu first.

There is no need to keep the BootMii applications on the SD Card once everything is set up, so you can remove them and the Wii will boot straight into the regular Channel Viewer you're familiar with :)

You will also have some new channels, like the Homebrew Channel that will allow you to browse the SD card and run apps like the media player, homebrew games etc etc.

If you choose not to install as boot 2, make sure you install the priiloader, I have a wii at home that seems to be bricked, I have a Bakcup of the nand, but sure its no use to me! I cant get it back on the wii

You can use an Infectus to write to the nand if you've got a backup? Sure, it means buying more stuff but 45 euro to bring a wii back to life isn't bad :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nice try :D

heh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

heh?

Was directed at testicle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You can use an Infectus to write to the nand if you've got a backup? Sure, it means buying more stuff but 45 euro to bring a wii back to life isn't bad :)

hmmm Thats not a bad idea.

One question:

http://www.infectus.biz/diagrams/Nand_Flash_Wii.jpg

Do I trust my soldering.....

• Advertisement

That's why I said you could do it, because I'd turn all those pins into a solid line of solder at the minute :P If you knew somebody with an infectus you could borrow then that'd be even better and sure it's worth a try considering the wii is useless as is :)

After loads of reading, found out that my new wii (serial LEH262...) will not allow bootmii install to boot2, only ios.
    Should I still go ahead anyway?
    Can I back it out? If I take SD card out, is it as if I never did anything to my wii. That is, does everything run from the sd card, homebrew channel, etc?

Check out Priiloader like Witnessmenow said, it should allow you to boot into bootmii to restore your NAND if anything goes wrong.

And no, this all won't run from your SD card, you need to modify stuff if you want to do the good stuff like play DVD's and that.

Ok, hope to try this at the weekend.
    Anything I need to worry about once this is done?
    Like the kids being prompted to run a system update or something?
    Can this happen if they put a new game in the dvd drive, etc?

Do more homework on the Priiloader :P Part of it's functionality allows you to turn off disc updates so you won't even get prompted to update :)

will do, cheers.
    I think I've been a bit put off by people saying that if you cant install bootmii in boot2, then theres a danger that you cant restore from a brick, etc.

will do, cheers.
    I think I've been a bit put off by people saying that if you cant install bootmii in boot2, then theres a danger that you cant restore from a brick, etc.

If it all goes well and you take a nand dump as your first step then you're "theoretically" all right, once you've got a nand dump of the wii (I suggest several) burn them to CD. There are some skilled people who can use the Infectus to restore your nand even if the wii is bricked.

Obviously if you don't have the nand backup, you don't have a hope if your wii gets bricked.

Priiloader's wiki article says it is best to install it on a wii with no modified IOSes.

Priiloader's wiki article says it is best to install it on a wii with no modified IOSes.

But do you not have to modify some IOSes to softmod in the first place?

But do you not have to modify some IOSes to softmod in the first place?

Bannerbomb uses a malformed banner to execute code located in the boot.dol file which would be on the same card as bannerbomb. Boot.dol can be the HackMii installer, DVDx etc etc. I think you might even be able to user bannerbomb to install Priiloader first? It's been a while since I modded my wii and I was able to install bootmii as bootv2 so I don't have experience with Pre/Priiloader.

Advertisement