Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym membership drogheda..

Options
  • 11-01-2010 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Contemplating a family gym membership in drogheda,there has to be a pool and additional classes offered such as pilates etc,has any boardies any reccomendations as to where to go and why one is better than the other?
    Two adults,2 kids 9 and 7 who are very competant swimmers,
    (i dont want to join a place for it to fold in a month or two)

Thanks in advance to all replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

I am curious to compare various gym prices in Drogheda too.

Have you checked out the one in Boyne Valley hotel? They have a 25m pool and tennis courts etc. They used to be on the pricey side of things, but I don't know how they are now as I haven't been there in years.

http://bvcc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

As well as price and facilities, you might like to consider the location of the gym itself and how easy it is to get to. Most of the gyms tend to be at the "outer corners" of the town (Aura, Westgate, Boyne Valley, Jackie Skelly), and, if you find yourself having to cross town every time you want to use the gym, it can become quite a chore.

I joined Westgate when it first opened - it's out past Greenhills & I live on the Dublin Rd side of town. At times it could take me 25 mins just to get to the gym because I had to cross St Mary's Bridge. It was an easy (if feeble) excuse not to go sometimes...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i am in jackie skellys pay 49 euro /month for me and 2 kids age 5 and 8 . they go for swimming lessons and cost 75 afaik each for 8 weeks plenty of classes in gym

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

So you kids aren't actually members or are you getting an adult + 2 kid membership for 49 per month? That's a good deal but I wouldn't touch JS with a bargepole and then they're located so far outside the town...

OP I can recommend the Boyne Valley. You can probably negotiate a good deal with them at the mo as they're very quiet lately. Lots of classes (all included in the membership fee), nice pool and plenty of machines.

A friend of mine has the family membership with Aura. I think it's 88 per month (himself, wife and three kids). They can go up as often as they like (obviously).

Aura do swimming lessons but I'm not sure of the cost of them. They're a set price, witha discount price if you're a member. They also do a few gym-related classes (pilates, "spin", aerobics, etc.) and they're free for members last time I checked (though you may want to ask them to make sure they still are).

Their gym seems ill-equipped in comparison to most others i've seen pictures of (though Aura is the only gym i've ever actually been in physically) but it's usually pretty quiet when i visit so you usually have everything to yourself anyway with little or no waiting (though I believe that changes from like, 6-8 in the evenings when the place apparently gets packed).

They've swimming pool, sauna, steam room jacuzzi and are building an extension onto their gym set to open later this year, so there's not much chance of them closing up anytime soon.

I'm sure there's better offers to be had out there, but I like Aura, so I thought i'd put up a nice word about them (and no, I don't work there or have any affiliation with them, except that I'm a member and a newbie to the whole fitness lark).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭mattock

I was a member of a gym in drogheda for two years, make sure you checkout everything especially the pool and changing areas for cleanliness especially the pool.
    It seems like your family like to swim, the one I joined ( and I am not naming ) the pool was filthy you could not see 10 feet in front of you under the water.
    |After numerous complaints I got a refund of my remaining subscription, make sure you get it in writing that the pool will be clean.

I know travel to Dundalk and there is some difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You should have reported them to the council regarding the pool. If it really was filthy then they're putting people's health at risk.

As for joining a gym in Dundalk when you live in Drogheda...few people would bother to go if it meant a 30-40 minute drive just to get there.

Advertisement