Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of plane on wooden door

• 11-01-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

My front door has become swollen and I now have to wrestle with it to lock it. Would people recommend using a wood plane tool to get it to close easier? Or should I just concentrate on replacing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

grizzly wrote: »
    My front door has become swollen and I now have to wrestle with it to lock it. Would people recommend using a wood plane tool to get it to close easier? Or should I just concentrate on replacing it?

The trouble with planing a bit off doors to make them close is that when the warm weather comes (in Ireland??) the door will shrink again and let draughts in. Replacing it would be pointless since a new door would behave the same way -- wood expands when damp and shrinks when dry. Might be worth checking the hinges to see if they're worn and allowing the door to drop, and measuring the gap at the top and at the bottom to see if moving the hinges up a fraction would solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 joinerydivision

I'd agree with ART6 - that's exactly what I would have advised. Just make sure your door has a well-sealed paint or varnish to help keep the water out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Friend of mine had same problem, if its not getting stuck @ door jam then you could adjust the lock catch in door jam. Friends door closed fine but took a push to click lock into catch. All we did was undo catch and adjust in a way for lock to slip in without pushing on door. If its catching against door jam, prob best not to plane it, as mentioned it could shrink back, slight plane could do the job and not create much of a difference later, unless you've used a plane before, could end up looking rough. Best talk to a carpenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

If it becomes necessary that you do have to plane the door, BE CAREFUL.
    Make sure the wood plane you are using is in good working order.Practice on a scrap piece of wood first and get the feel of the plain. Set the blade high and run the plain with the grain , not against it. Once the door is planed to your satisfaction seal the door immediatly with either paint or varnish.This should stop the door from absorbing any moisture and swelling again.

Advertisement