Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog has arthritis

Options
  • 11-01-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Ellie was diagnosed with arthritis last year, she was only just 7 yrs old

Since then she's had surgery, a course of injections to stop its progression, I've done hydrotherapy with her, she's on painkillers and a j/d diet specifically for dogs with mobility problems.

The cold is playing havoc with it
    She's strictly an indoor dog
    I'm not walking her as recommended by my vet
    I'm putting heat packs on her leg too
    She's on painkillers twice a day
    But nothings working and she's miserable

Has anybody any experience with anything they've found thats worked well? :confused:Either traditional or alternative?

I have my vet gone crazy I'm in and out of there so often but they've done everything they can.

I hate seeing her in pain:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Your poor girl!

I know you can get heated dog beds that you plug in, they have heat pads in them that heat up when the dogs lie on it, but not when there's no weight on it. Might ease her pain a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

I have a little experience in this area! have you tried giving here a glucosamine tonic. you can get this from the vet or cheaper from health shop. Hydrotherapy is very good but it nearly would be continuous for a few months. Wat breed is your dog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

metacam from the vet is an option but very expensive!
    try arithium past/tablets.M&C brand from your petshop
    or infra-red heat from a heat-strip or bulb (supervised!).
    more 0mega 3/6 and glucosimine & calcium supplements too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I had a golden retriever that had arthritis since he was two apart from the heat pad and injections he also had glucosamine chondroitin.

No doubt the vet told you to watch your dogs weight. Not nice seeing your pet in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My old RW x GSD has had ED, HD and Arthritis. She had the heat pads and chose not to lie on them (longhaired as she was). I tried everything under the sun and finally came across Sasha's Blend. It's available from vets although I am not sure if all vets have it. It took about 3 weeks and I could see a marked improvement in her. She got it until she died at the ripe old age of 17.I am now giving SB to all older dogs here at EGAR and so far so good, not one of them has shown any symptoms. I am not saying it's a cure all but certainly enabled Sally to have a better quality of life. Google it, they have a website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

Thanks all for the advice!!
    TooManyDogs: I know you can get heated dog beds that you plug in,

Unfortunately Ellie also has epilepsy and heat tends to trigger seizures, so too much heat for her isn't an option.
    cucoigcrice: have you tried giving here a glucosamine tonic.

Do you have a brand name? I've tried Arthriaid with my other dog but I didn't find it did anything for him. I have two dogs with arthritis but right now Ellie is in the most pain. The J/D Diet their on also contains all that stuff, I don't know if its possible to overdose them on it but it's worth looking into again. Ellie is a poodle/bischon frise cross- ball of white fluff!
    aboutimeilogin!

I've had her on metacam before but because she's on anti-convulsants she cant go on metacam long term because of the effects on the liver.
    EGAR: I tried everything under the sun and finally came across Sasha's Blend

What does this do? I've never heard of it before

golden

Ya, Ellie's had everything you've suggested, and her weight was an issue but we worked VERY hard to get it down and it's not a problem now

Doesn't seem to be an easy answer!!

Thanks again all, much appreciated and will definately look more into some of the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

As I said, google it!

Here's their website: http://www.sashasblend.com/

If your dog is insured with PetPlan then you can claim back for SB as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

i would just go into a health shop and ask for a glucosamine supplement in liquid form. Ask your vet about previcox they are an anti inflammatory and a pain killer most people find them great.

I tried Sashas Blend for 2 months, maybe more but didn't find it did anything for her, but thanks!

[HTML]cucoigcrice: i would just go into a health shop and ask for a
    glucosamine supplement in liquid form. [/HTML]

The vet diet she's on at the mo has that in it, I might look into the med you mentioned tho, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

ArthriAid or SeniorAid are brilliant supplements for arthitic dogs - packed with glucosomine and chondroitin and really helps with stiffness.

Anti inflams (like Metacam) are good for pain killing but can have long term sife effects, it really is a situation of weighing up the pros and cons of long term health and wellbeing. I'm so sorry your little one has bad arthitis, they can get very miserable and uncomfortable with it. Really hope you find something that works for her soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

The Hill's j/d has chondriotin and glucosamine in it already. Has she been on it for long? Meant to be quite effective. The competition (Royal Canin) also does a similar product called Mobility Support (which you can also get in tablet/treat form) if you think the diet isn't working.
    Weight control is the most important bit definitely.
    Long term courses of hydrotherapy would be great but this is only really an option if you live where there is a hyrotherapy unit available (preferably with well qualified veterinary staff to supervise a therapy regime)
    Regrettably since your dog has other medical conditions you do have to be careful about drug interactions when giving new meds.
    Aside from Previcox, there is also a drug called Trocoxil out there which you may find useful, but again, you have to be very careful about giving other anti-inflammatories at the same time or within a month of using it as it lasts for much longer than Metacam or Previcox.
    Good luck!

lorebringer

I've tried Arthriaid but didn't find it did any good, and I have a supply of metacam but only use in when she has alot of pain. Thanks!
    Wisco

I have her on the J/D diet since around August last year, but again haven't found any improvement in her. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a hydrotherapy unit, I wish I did because I swam her 3/4 times a week for 6 weeks in a stream last summer and it worked wonders for her. I'm waiting for the stream to heat up again!!

I'm gonna make a note of those meds but she's on anti-convulsants and now and then steriods so as you said, am wary of side effects and long term liver damage. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭t4k30

Shoot it :P
    Should have gotten a cat. Waaaay better !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

t4k30 wrote: »
    Shoot it :P

Not funny - I suggest you think before you post again

t4k30: Shoot it

I have Eliie eight yrs next month. She is my heart and soul and not a day goes by when I don't think about the day I have to say goodbye to her so I don't think I'll be taking your suggestion on board. And I have a cat, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

So does mine and she's only 3yrs old. Seems to be ok with the injections though over exercise can lead to her limping so we only walk her every second day....

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

You can't go wrong with Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM supplements. My bothers boxers has arthritis in box legs are having cruciate operations and suffered really badly with it. He was on Metacam and has injections, he started him on the above a few years back after I suggested and he was actually able to stop taking the metacam. I can't stress how good each of these supplements are, do some research on the internet and you will see loads of info. It can be expersive to buy for humans or even dogs, however if there is a good horse supply store near you, you can buy it in really large tubs and reduce the dosage and it works out much less expensive...

Advertisement