Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sending out an SOS.- Pool and its future

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'm hoping it was probably something more along the lines of, he should have known better than to go in there, which of course is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

no, not at all. could have been much worse tbh.

a director of a company however, emailing a customer (which is how these people see this), saying "blow me **** face", is a little different to some knobhead tryin to be a big man in a pub throwin a pint over a man who is doing a fairly good job of destroying one of the most successful & widely supported football clubs in the world.

Ziggy, if i was to say "blow me ****face" to you, it would not be a big deal. we are two private individuals chatting online.however a director of company responding to a concerned fan in that way really does typify the disdain with which these custodians seem to view the "fans".

ziggy wrote: »

well i suppose its all relative to what we're talking about.

we're talkin about a chairman of a football club telling a fan to **** off & blow him, so i guess when comparing it to some of the horrendous actions of other people around the world, i guess it is a touch much to call it horrendous.

however when viewing it in isolation, its about the very worst thing a company director could say to a "customer". so it is horrendous in that sense if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »
    what i am blown away by.....is that a board member at LFC replied to a fan "idot", when presented with an article abot debt/transfers. then when questioned on it he replied, "blow me ****face" ....... and you say MAYBE it was an arrogant response?!

exactly, the guy said there was two afaik. "idiot" was the response to his first one. i'm sure hicks & co have recd loads over the last couple of years, that is no excuse. perhaps he sent more than that over a period of months/years, again thats totally fair enough.

fair enough, then he should have arranged for them to be dumped into a junk mail folder, something that could have been easily done i'd imagine.

i have never witnessed an organised campaign to mail Hicks or anyone. i have seen email addresses online on message boards, but ones nothing to do with SOS.

i actually mailed Hicks before i was a member of SOS.

no one organised it imo. it was simply fans voicing their grievances in a perfectly normal & acceptable way by contacting the people concerned.

What is interesting is that there has been very little mention, on this site, of the third mail from Hicks jnr to Stephen Horner, received on Saturday night. The one where alarms bells must have been going off in Hicks jnr's head, and he sent this email to say sorry.

“Stephen, I apologise for losing my temper and using bad language with you. It was a kneejerk reaction. Tommy

Now this could be seen as one of two things, a man saying sorry because he knew he was wrong, or a guy realising that he cocked up badly and was going to get caught out for being abusive. I think it is the latter.

What happens next is striking. The response of the offended party is to go straight online to show the emails and contact is initiated between the SOS and Stephen Horner very quickly, with the mainstream media receiving a statement from the SOS on the matter.

And the fact that Stephen Horner had a very well prepared statement ready, it was printed in full in the Liverpool Echo today, does suggest a degree of premeditation or coaching from some source, unless Stephen is very media savvy, in which case it was done well by him .

Below is the statement to the press. Now it is well done, and I must say that I agree with the points made in it, but it just seems a little too perfect that the one guy who got insulted by Hicks jnr just happened to be someone who had a statement ready so quickly, and was so comfortably speaking with the media.

"The email that I sent on Saturday morning to Tom Hicks Senior, George Gillett and Tom Hicks Jnr was merely a link to the Liverpool Echo article, 'Rafa Benitez should not have to manage Liverpool FC's debt', where I copied and pasted the pertinent points made in the article.

"I was polite and offered no personal view on the article, but felt compelled to send the article to the owners as it succinctly covered all of the main concerns that we as supporters have with the current situation; namely the £240m debt which Hicks and Gillett have loaded onto the club, the lack of investment in the playing squad and the false promises over the new stadium.

"We are totally hamstrung as a result of the leveraged buy out by Hicks and Gillett and cannot move forward as a football club on or off the field.

"We finished second in the league last season and should have kicked on this season. There should have been investment in the playing squad in the summer and yet we have invested less than we recouped through player sales.

"We will continue to regress whilst Hicks and Gillett are owners of this worldwide institution. I am sick and tired of the propaganda and spin that is coming out of Liverpool Football Club.

"It is time for honesty. We exist to win trophies, not to pay off debts that have been loaded onto the club by others. The damage has been done by Hicks’ initial two email messages that he sent me on Saturday morning and the apology received later in the day is hollow and probably a PR exercise.”

"The Gillett and Hicks reign has been nothing short of disastrous and they have proved time and time again that they are not fit and proper custodians of this special football club which means so much to so many people around the world. I urge former Chairman David Moores to now step forward and speak out, and admit his fatal mistake in selling to Gillett and Hicks.

"Hicks Jnr should resign with immediate effect and it is time that Gillett and Hicks sold up and handed the reigns over to people who understand ‘the Liverpool way’.

"They are not welcome at Anfield.”

It could just be a coincidence of course, rather than the illusion of coincidence, but the delivery of the statement just does not sit right with me, despite me agreeing with it's contents.

As I said earlier, I think the cause is right, and that the cause is a true one. But I have serious doubts at times over some of the tactics used at times.

No doubt some would argue that the end justifies the means, but rightly or wrongly I hold the supporters of the club to a higher standard than I do the owners, whom I know cannot be trusted.

This may be an idealistic and fanciful notion, one that has no real place where there is such a varied cross section of society within the ranks of the supporters, but I think that an ideal, a cause, should be held to a higher standard otherwise we fall to the level of those we fight against.

pretty sure the original thread the lad put up on TLW actually still contains the rep from the union asking people do they know how they can get in touch with the lad & stating they've pm'd him to disuss further.

and i dont think his short statement being ready two days later is in any way suspect, its only couple of short paragraphs.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

apologies, director it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kryogen wrote: »
    Your right, Benitez is weak for not physically throwing him out himself

:rolleyes: Come on, man. I'm not saying that at all. This is nothing to do with Rafa.

I'm just saying that the fans are the heart and soul of the club and that the way Hicks Jr acted was disgraceful.

Shankly was always a man of the people who knew the importance of the fans and as i say, he would be spinning in his grave at what is going on at the club!!

pretty sure the original thread the lad put up on TLW actually still contains the rep from the union asking people do they know how they can get in touch with the lad & stating they've pm'd him to disuss further.

and i dont think his short statement being ready two days later is in any way suspect, its only couple of short paragraphs.

Well he really only had less than one day to get his statement ready as his interview was on the Echo website from early this morning, so assuming he slept at some point on Saturday night, and with the statement going online early Monday morning, one would assume he gave it on Sunday.He also stated that the two first people he forwarded the email to were Dominic King and Chris Bascombe. With Chris Bascombe being able to run the story for the Sunday S*n. The same Bascombe who has been made a pariah by Liverpool fans in the city of Liverpool for his defection from the Echo to the Sunday S*n

The same thing about those two being contacted him straight away is up on RAWK now as well, and funnilly enough the email addy for Hicks Holdings is up in a thread there now, asking people to mail to ask why Hicks jnr is still named on the official website as being a director of the club, and that a mass mailing should be done to get it changed straight away.

The poster also goes on to mention that he added that it was one down and a few more to go.

Funnily enough the poster is a confessed SOS member.

Surely not, a poster giving out more email addresses and asking for a mass mailing?

Should you decide to look on RAWK it won't be hard to find it.

What is funny is that a longer version of the same email is now meant to exist, with Hicks jnr calling him poo brains, Mr Wanky and stuff like that, and Stephen Horner will be giving that to the press to print. *

I think the only thing that we will both agree on, on this, is that Hicks jnr had to resign after being caught being abusive.

* This is from a spoof site ribbing a bit about the situation.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Thread title makes me think of :

/gets coat.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thought the thread was about our Irish WWE champion myself.:pac:

Seems to me like Mr Hicks got trolled. Should've known better tbh. A hollow victory for SOS to be honest, they got rid of him more by a cock up and naievety on Hicks' part rather than any victory based upon the validity or strength of the message they've been spreading from day one.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Thought the thread was about our Irish WWE champion myself.:pac:

Seems to me like Mr Hicks got trolled. Should've known better tbh. A hollow victory for SOS to be honest, they got rid of him more by a cock up and naievety on Hicks' part rather than any victory based upon the validity or strength of the message they've been spreading from day one.

If it was, he would have ended the thread quicker than he killed Jamie Noble. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Pool are a mess, and any supporter worth their salt would admit it.

most of my mates said so over christmas...

if they were a human being they would need a total detox, bowel cleansing...!

Everton are in better shape than them at the moment., considering the 5 or 6 players missing from the squad for ages now, plus the likes of Vaughan is still young and had 3 years or so wiped out with injury.

They are no nearer to winning a title than they were, ugh when they last won it.

and the gap between them and 'the field' is getting worse...

Man City could be the real deal this year to break into the top 4 as the first 3 places are nailed on.

Pool are toothless without Gerrard and Torres and if the current management exists much longer Pool will continue to lag behind.

Its my 2 cents.

that is all..

The question all supporters should ask is

"what has raffa achieved during his tenure..."

and dont say he won a cl, as that is what all pool supporters will back him up with. since he won that he has been taking a halo over his head and seem pretty much untouchable..

if that was Arsenal/City/Chelsea/Man U he would have been booted out looooooooong ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

But Kess, so what if Stephen Horner got help on his statement, if that's the case.

Hicks Jr f*cked up and the SOS jumped on it and saw it as a way to get at the owners. It worked cos Hicks Jr has had to resign. I say fair play. I'm delighted he f*cked up and got kicked out

Now, although i don't believe his resignation to be that big a deal in the long term, it's still better to be proactive and have him removed rather than just do nothing at all.

You could call this a war between the fans and the owners and this is just a slight battle won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

how underhanded and how dirty are regular pool fans willing to be to get rid of the owners?

And what do they think is gonna happen if they do go?

who is gonna buy them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

When will SoS wise up and realise they are only making things worse for the club? Utterly daft that people would be happy over Hicks Jr. leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Everton are in better shape than them at the moment., considering the 5 or 6 players missing from the squad for ages now, plus the likes of Vaughan is still young and had 3 years or so wiped out with injury.

They are no nearer to winning a title than they were, ugh when they last won it.

Man City could be the real deal this year to break into the top 4 as the first 3 places are nailed on.

Pool are toothless without Gerrard and Torres and if the current management exists much longer Pool will continue to lag behind.

Its my 2 cents.

that is all..

and dont say he won a cl, as that is what all pool supporters will back him up with. since he won that he has been taking a halo over his head and seem pretty much untouchable..

if that was Arsenal/City/Chelsea/Man U he would have been booted out looooooooong ago.
    Yes Everton are in better shape.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

When will SoS wise up and realise they are only making things worse for the club? Utterly daft that people would be happy over Hicks Jr. leaving.
    I'm a memeber of SOS and i'm delighted that we rid ourselves of Hicks Jr but it's only the first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Came across this recently. A good example of how current administration is alienating the fan base.
    June 04, 2009
    Liverpool: Loyal Supporters? Casualties of Greed

This morning the new Liverpool Commercial Director, Ian Ayre, sent a letter out to all 10,000 Liverpool fans that have signed up to the Priority Ticket Scheme (PTS) informing them that the scheme is to be disbanded for next season. This is a scheme that costs each fan £55 each year to join for the "privilege" of having access to 5,000 tickets for each game at Anfield. In theory, giving each PTS member a 50% chance of a ticket for each game.

This scheme has been in place for a number of years now, with the reasons given for disbanding as being:

1. 25% of the PTS membership didn't purchase a single ticket last season
    2. 50% of the PTS membership purchased tickets for 3 games or less last season

What he failed to mention in his letter or consider in his decision making, is that means 5,000 of the membership attended 3 games or less; therefore the remaining 5,000 must be purchasing the 5,000 tickets every single week. Those 5,000 fans have been turning up every week for years for midweek games against Fulham and Portsmouth, as well as the bigger and more glamorous fixtures.

Their reward for that loyalty?

http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine_fanzone/liverpool/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Came across this recently. A good example of how current administration is alienating the fan base.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine_fanzone/liverpool/index.html

Screwed up maths, but what I read into the numbers anyway.

10k supporters.

25% didn't buy any tickets (2,500) and 50% (5,000) bought between 1 and 3. Yet that article says 5,000 went week in week out. No, no they did not. 2,500 did.

As for what their (the remaining 2,500) loyalty got them - who knows. Maybe there will be a new scheme aimed at getting better traction amongst the fan base.

Screwed up maths, but what I read into the numbers anyway.

10k supporters.

25% didn't buy any tickets (2,500) and 50% (5,000) bought between 1 and 3. Yet that article says 5,000 went week in week out. No, no they did not. 2,500 did.

As for what their (the remaining 2,500) loyalty got them - who knows. Maybe there will be a new scheme aimed at getting better traction amongst the fan base.
    I think that the said 2,500 regularly attend the mid week games is enough to keep scheme on. Maybe business dropped off during the credit crunch. Where enough fans consulted over the axing of scheme. As article says scheme was going on for years and by axing it just gives fan base another reason to be wary of the current regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

no, not at all. could have been much worse tbh.

a director of a company however, emailing a customer (which is how these people see this), saying "blow me **** face", is a little different to some knobhead tryin to be a big man in a pub throwin a pint over a man who is doing a fairly good job of destroying one of the most successful & widely supported football clubs in the world.

Good man AL , making your pitch early to keep those awards?

How can an Email be horrendous yet a physical assault not?

Really AL you've raised the bar with that nugget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Its my 2 cents.

that is all..

Yeah, i wake up every morning wishing we were 10 points worse off than we are now, had a crumbling stadium and a hugely reduced fanbase. Then we'd really be set up for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

most of my mates said so over christmas..

you my friend are clueless, i will deal with each point in succession

How is that then...nailed on... the top 3 are playing just as badly as everyone else. Utd have lost 5 games this season. we are only half way through a very long season. It only takes a few wins on the trot and peoples (like you)views will suddenly change.....
    Toothless, i dont think so. Agreed the squad is a lot weaker but i seem to remember us beating chelsea and utd without them last season!!!

He has consistently improved the squad with very little funding for the past couple of seasons. Squad depth has suffered because his need to sell to buy. dont you get that. Rafa's not untouchable. He has made a few strange calls but i fully support as the manager of the club as there is no one out there who would have put up with the **** he has since G&H bought the club.
    you really do not watch a lot of football do you

Arsenal havent won anything in 5 years and there is not a mention of wenger gettin the boot

Ferguson went on a dry spell as chelsea were becoming a footballing power and some fans were calling for his head and he didnt get the bump....

Stop being the armchair, tabloid reading sky watching, ronnnie whelan touting supporter that you are, and look at the club for what it is at the moment...IN SERIOUS FINANCIAL TROUBLE BECAUSE OF THE YANKS

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/11/the-fiver-liverpool-shankly
    If the Fiver was forced to apologise and resign every time we sent an ill-advised email to recipients who found them objectionable, production of the world’s most tea-timely newsletter would have ceased moments after its maiden excursion more years ago than we care to remember. Luckily, our audience is more tolerant than Liverpool supporters’ union Spirit of Shankly, who showcased the fabled Scouse sense of humour by swooning like Victorian ladies overcome by the vapours when a board member from “their” club responded to a series of emails from a disgruntled fan by inviting him to “Blow me, ****face”.

The carefully worded email sent by Tom Hicks Jr, Dallas-based businessman and adult son of Liverpool owner Tom Sr, prompted howls of faux outrage and wounded indignation from Spirit of Shankly, who despite all their protestations to the contrary, were almost certainly beside themselves with delight that a fan had managed to prompt such a juvenile response from the Liverpool boardroom.

Having called for, and subsequently secured the resignation of Hicks Jr, who has since apologised for sending the email, SoS posted a statement on their website this afternoon. “Spirit of Shankly welcomes the resignation of Tom Hicks Junior from the board of Liverpool FC and its parent company,” it chirruped. “This club has standards – on the field, off the field, on the terraces and in the boardroom.” As luck would have it, the group made no mention of its own standards, which are so low that last year’s end-of-season party climaxed with this rousing ditty making fun of the Munich air disaster.

While it could be argued that the raucous, mob-handed celebration of a plane crash in which 21 people died is considerably more offensive than some dumb Yank losing his rag and sending a chippy email, it’s interesting that SoS chose not to disband or call for mass resignations from among their own rank-and-file in the wake of the notorious sing-along.

The Fiver is as wholeheartedly in favour of football fans sticking it to The Man as the next beret-wearing promoter of people-power, but we find it bewildering that the high standards expected from all connected with Liverpool FC “on the field, off the field, on the terraces and in the boardroom” evidently don’t apply to those most anxious to see them rigidly enforced.
    Fair play to Fiver for showing up "Spirit of Shankly" for the hypocritical cnuts that they are.

PORNAPSTER wrote: »

Fair play to Fiver for showing up "Spirit of Shankly" for the hypocritical cnuts that they are.

why are they hypocritical cnuts?

Thats tarring everyone with same brush. Not everyone in Spirit of Shankley uttered those words on Munich. Thats pure opportunism on behalf of a paper. There are obviously some undesirable elements there as there at any club but to paint all fans that way is just crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would say it is to do the line saying that standards have to be applied to those on the terraces, but those same fans delighting in the Munich crash is fine with them.

Playing the victim when it suits them and when they are the aggressor they think its all innocent fun. Looking for heads to roll when they get offended, and then when they openly offend within their own group, its all fine.

Never been any different.

Thats tarring everyone with same brush. Not everyone in Spirit of Shankley uttered those words on Munich. Thats pure opportunism on behalf of a paper. There are obviously some undesirable elements there as there at any club but to paint all fans that way is just crazy.
    I haven't heard of any heads rolling after that little show, have you? Who appointed the musician to play at that gig? LFC fans as far as I can see never take any accountability for their actions.

Christ, and they wonder why United fans hate them so much. :rolleyes:

Playing the victim when it suits them and when they are the aggressor they think its all innocent fun. Looking for heads to roll when they get offended, and then when they openly offend within their own group, its all fine.

Never been any different.

Who’s the “they” in this, for whom it’s “never been any different?”

With regard to the Munich songs – it was absolutely disgraceful behaviour on the part of anyone involved. But it’s not as though the SOS as a whole were involved or that they didn’t apologise/criticise it afterwards. You can’t blame the whole organisation for a few idiots, even though I’m no big supporter of the group myself

I haven't heard of any heads rolling after that little show, have you? Who appointed the musician to play at that gig?

Christ, and Liverpool fans wonder why United fans hate them so much. :rolleyes:

As far as I know he was not “appointed” to play. There were many performers on the bill and this guy was not one of them – he just took the mic I think.

As far as I know he was not “appointed” to play. There were many performers on the bill and this guy was not one of them – he just took the mic I think.
    Ah, so they allowed him to take the mic. I see, fair play... Just hang on until he's finished this little number...

Who’s the “they” in this, for whom it’s “never been any different?”

With regard to the Munich songs – it was absolutely disgraceful behaviour on the part of anyone involved. But it’s not as though the SOS as a whole were involved or that they didn’t apologise/criticise it afterwards. You can’t blame the whole organisation for a few idiots, even though I’m no big supporter of the group myself
    They= Liverpool FC and their fans.
    Never been any different= A whole big can of worms that neither you or anyone on this forum wants opened again. Lets just say the key word is accountability.

I don't care if it was one or ten thousand of their members, the point is that it was allowed to happen and no heads rolled for it. Which points out hypocrisy regarding SOS being up in arms looking for resignation of Hicks Jr after his outburst.

Ah, so they allowed him to take the mic. I see, fair play... Just hang on until he's finished this little number...

Who is they? The entire SOS membership wasn’t there, and therefore cannot be blamed for this. Why not simplify it to “some Liverpool fans are cnuts” instead of Liverpool fans as a whole which is what you seem to be implying.

sigh, another know it all

as i said in the Liverpool discussion thread
    he wasnt hired by SOS. and again
    nothing was said or even written when the utd players were singing "we won it 3 times without killing anyone" when the won the CL a couple of years ago

That is MORE unacceptable IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

pajodublin wrote: »

nothing was said or even written when the utd players were singing "we won it 3 times without killing anyone" when the won the CL a couple of years ago

Why would it matter if he was hired or not?

Liverpool have "Standards" on the pitch, on the terraces, on the beaches etc.

Who is they? The entire SOS membership wasn’t there, and therefore cannot be blamed for this. Why not simplify it to “some Liverpool fans are cnuts” instead of Liverpool fans as a whole which is what you seem to be implying.
    Christ, way to miss a point... :rolleyes:

Have you ever heard of the expression "pulling the plug" on something? Where do you think that came from? Who was responsible for that plug? SOS. Who didn't hand out bans or call for resignations after it? SOS. Now they are looking for Hicks Jr's resignation for telling someone to "blow him". That is called hypocrisy, and that is my point.

pajodublin wrote: »

Link?

Good man, the can is slightly open... What do you think that song is as a result of? The... account... ability... of... ??? Come on man, you can do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He didn't sing anything about Munich. He joined in with some spa's in the crowd's 'munich' chant for 10 seconds or so before singing a song about Liverpool in european finals.

He's still a douche and I have no time whatsoever for anyone acting like this, and would greatly like this aspect of the clubs supporters to be rounded up and culled, but we may as well be accurate about what happened.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He didn't sing anything about Munich. He joined in with some spa's in the crowd's 'munich' chant for 10 seconds or so before singing a song about Liverpool in european finals.

He's still a douche and I have no time whatsoever for anyone acting like this, and would greatly like this aspect of the clubs supporters to be rounded up and culled, but we may as well be accurate about what happened.
    I really don't care Rebel, truly. The point is no one has been repremanded for it within SOS and yet they expect Hicks Jr to resign. I and the person who wrote the piece in Fiver are simply pointing out their hypocrisy.

I really don't care Rebel, truly. The point is no one has been repremanded for it within SOS and yet they expect Hicks Jr to resign. I and the person who wrote the piece in Fiver are simply pointing out their hypocrisy.
    You are wrong there about no action being taken. See our main thread for clarification.

• Advertisement

Link?

Good man, the can is slightly open... What do you think that song is as a result of? The... account... ability... of... ??? Come on man, you can do it!

Hang on a second. I was there for that end of season party last May in the Olympia, and to say that there was no accountability at all is wrong.

When that song got aired a number got up and walked out, this I know because my brother and I left in disgust and were not alone in doing so. There were also some exchanges in the aftermath between the morons who thought it was funny and the normal people who were disgusted by it. I know I had a right go at two of the organisers, verbally of course. Some of the organisers did cut what was being said short, and they did have words with the "entertainment" for going along with the crowd chant.

As Liverpool fans we are quick to react at any Hillsborough slurs, and rightly so, but we should be just as sensitive to making Munich comments.

Just because a number of Man Utd "supporters" chant it at a match, does not make it right for a number of our lot to chant back about them. It just becomes a vicious circle. Anyone who tries to defend the chants, regardless of what side they are on, with "they did it first, so we responded", should not be in either ground, and I have zero respect for them as a football fan or as a person.

There are lines that you do not cross and the Hillsborough/Munich disasters are two of them. I am particularly sensitive to the former, and although I am one of the lucky ones as my father returned home the next day alive after that day, plenty of his friends did not. So whilst I generally try to stay rational on the subject, sometimes I fail and get worked up on it. It did force a fresh point of view on the Munich disaster into my young mind, and I have since been quick to turn on any idiot who tries that Munich ****e within earshot of me.

I think the main bone of contention about that night was the fact that it was not condemned by the mouthpieces until after it hit Youtube. Personally it should have been nipped in the bud with a statement straight away. The official SOS website should have carried a message on it that night as soon as one of those with access could get to a pc, and the message should have contained an apology to Man Utd football club, and that those involved in the chants from the crowd were kicked from the Union with membership revoked.

It boils down to comments I made earlier about holding ourselves to standards. If you are prepared to get dirty, then you have no right to whinge and complain when your foe does so. If your foe gets dirty, your standards should compel you not to drop to their level.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Hang on a second. I was there for that end of season party last May in the Olympia, and to say that there was no accountability at all is wrong.

When that song got aired a number got up and walked out, this I know because my brother and I left in disgust and were not alone in doing so. There were also some exchanges in the aftermath between the morons who thought it was funny and the normal people who were disgusted by it. I know I had a right go at two of the organisers, verbally of course. Some of the organisers did cut what was being said short, and they did have words with the "entertainment" for going along with the crowd chant.

As Liverpool fans we are quick to react at any Hillsborough slurs, and rightly so, but we should be just as sensitive to making Munich comments.

Just because a number of Man Utd "supporters" chant it at a match, does not make it right for a number of our lot to chant back about them. It just becomes a vicious circle. Anyone who tries to defend the chants, regardless of what side they are on, with "they did it first, so we responded", should not be in either ground, and I have zero respect for them as a football fan or as a person.

There are lines that you do not cross and the Hillsborough/Munich disasters are two of them. I am particularly sensitive to the former, and although I am one of the lucky ones as my father returned home the next day alive after that day, plenty of his friends did not. So whilst I generally try to stay rational on the subject, sometimes I fail and get worked up on it. It did force a fresh point of view on the Munich disaster into my young mind, and I have since been quick to turn on any idiot who tries that Munich ****e within earshot of me.

I think the main bone of contention about that night was the fact that it was not condemned by the mouthpieces until after it hit Youtube. Personally it should have been nipped in the bud with a statement straight away. The official SOS website should have carried a message on it that night as soon as one of those with access could get to a pc, and the message should have contained an apology to Man Utd football club, and that those involved in the chants from the crowd were kicked from the Union with membership revoked.

It boils down to comments I made earlier about holding ourselves to standards. If you are prepared to get dirty, then you have no right to whinge and complain when your foe does so. If your foe gets dirty, your standards should compel you not to drop to their level.
    This is what Spirit of Shankly had to say about the matter as posted on main pool thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63951568&postcount=14900
    Agree with what is been said here and maybe SOS could have acted quicker but a statement was issued subsequently.

This is what Spirit of Shankley had to say about the matter as posted on main pool thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63951568&postcount=14900
    Agree with what is been said here and maybe SOS could have acted quicker but a statement was issued subsequently.

I know what they said about the matter nearly two weeks after the event. And Bill's name is spelt wrong.

Christ, way to miss a point... :rolleyes:

Have you ever heard of the expression "pulling the plug" on something? Where do you think that came from? Who was responsible for that plug? SOS. Who didn't hand out bans or call for resignations after it? SOS. Now they are looking for Hicks Jr's resignation for telling someone to "blow him". That is called hypocrisy, and that is my point.

im not going to bother replying to you as there are too many words to describe people like you.
    Unfortunately each one is a bannable offence on here.

See the other thread.......... ******* ****

Kess73 wrote: »

Fair play to you, and good post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement