Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: Accomodation in d8 area!?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi there,

Looking to find out a bit of info on Christchurch...

Looking at an apartment there, and it seems grand! I want to know what's it like at night, any hassle etc?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Christchurch is a grand area, no hassle, minus the traffic it's mainly a quiet enough area for the city centre. Whereabouts are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bellies

Cheers,

I'm looking at a place on Dame St, Cork St, and O'Curry st.

Just want to know is it a grand place, is there local gym, grocery shops around, or will I have to venture in town?

Bellies wrote: »
    Cheers,

I'm looking at a place on Dame St, Cork St, and O'Curry st.

Just want to know is it a grand place, is there local gym, grocery shops around, or will I have to venture in town?

Dame St and Cork St would be a bit noiser. Is it O'Curry Rd? If so that's around th corner from me, grand and quiet road and area.

Dame St is basically town. Ivegh Fitness and YMCA gyms would be the closest. Supermarkets would be a walk to Parnell Sq to Tesco, Lidl or Aldi.

Cork St has a Lidl and Tesco Express up near the Coombe Hospital, plenty of Spars, etc... Lidl also up on Thomas St, with plenty of butchers, etc... on Meath St. Herberton Leisure Centre, Iveagh Fitness or YMCA would be the closest depending what part of Cork St you're on. Plenty of buses like Dame St.

O'Curry Rd would be roughly the same, a Spar close and Lidl on Cork St is 10 mins away max. 121 bus stops 1 min away and then you have all the buses on SCR and Cork St. Gyms would be the same.

Thanks a mill that a great insight.

Whats the South Gate complex like on Cork St?
    Is this close to the Ivegh Fitness centre?

Thanks a mill that a great insight.

Whats the South Gate complex like on Cork St?
    Is this close to the Ivegh Fitness centre?

Would be about 10 min walk, basically down Cork St, past Patricks Cathedral up towards Christchurch and it's on your right.

Never been in South Gate but it looks nice from the outside. It could be very noisy though as it's on one of the busiest part of Cork St.

• Advertisement

Thats great, thats for all the infro. Very much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be wary of bell practice in Christchurch.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Victor wrote: »
    Be wary of bell practice in Christchurch.

This is no joke. Tuesday evenings used to do my nut in when living further down Clanbrassil.

Area's sound OP. Personally I'd keep east (Cork St. being west) of Clanbrasil St. if you're moving that bit out of town as you're a little nearer city and entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Couple of shooting alleys around Thomas St, or at least used to be, but the junkies keep themselves to themselves most of the time. Easy enough to avoid. I liked living in the area

Ye I wouldn't be walking around the back of Vicar St venue aka Vicar St flats at night. Or any of the roads off Francis St.

• Advertisement

Noted! Cheers, so all I gotta remember is to stay away from Vicars st & Francis st! Not too bad I suppose! Whats this Ivegh gym like?

Noted! Cheers, so all I gotta remember is to stay away from Vicars st & Francis st! Not too bad I suppose! Whats this Ivegh gym like?

Well it's not that simple, basically just keep your wits about you when walking around, especially at night.

Never been in the gym but there website is http://www.iveaghfitness.ie/ I wouldn't join up straight away, wait away for a bit as they usually post in flyers with offers, etc...

Sound, I'll check it out!! Nice one for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I went to the Iveagh for a trial visit recently and wasn't that impressed tbh.. However, their joining fee is low, and they have off-peak deals etc.. which are quite good value.

My apt block backs onto Francis St.. It's a quiet enough area, but there's a wet hostel around the corner.. if that sort of thing bothers you. It doesn't bother me, the folks that frequent it tend to keep to themselves.

Like anywhere else in town, and as previous poster said, keep your wits about you and you should be fine.

Advertisement