Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cancellation fees

Options
  • 11-01-2010 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Over the Christmas period, my house that I live in with my flat-mates had a burst pipe which resulted in the house being flooded. All of our stuff got damaged, including the ability to use the service UPC were providing to us (broadband and channels). This isn't the issue, though. This is just some contextual information.

Subsequently, we've had to move out of the house and we are trying to cancel the UPC. Their policy is to provide written notice of your intentions with canceling the account.

So, I have to wait the 30 days, and pay the remaining balance, which I am fine with. They also are proposing I pay a €100 cancellation fee, which was not outlined in the Terms & Conditions which my flat-mate signed.

In section three of their T's & C's, they mention the possibility of a liable fee for cancellation, but nowhere does it state anything about €100. Where did this figure come from? Who decides how much it is? I think it's outrageous they expect me to pay it when there was no mention of it in anything I received from them.

Has anyone else had this problem? Post away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

itchyblood wrote: »
    Over the Christmas period, my house that I live in with my flat-mates had a burst pipe which resulted in the house being flooded. All of our stuff got damaged, including the ability to use the service UPC were providing to us (broadband and channels). This isn't the issue, though. This is just some contextual information.

Subsequently, we've had to move out of the house and we are trying to cancel the UPC. Their policy is to provide written notice of your intentions with canceling the account.

So, I have to wait the 30 days, and pay the remaining balance, which I am fine with. They also are proposing I pay a €100 cancellation fee, which was not outlined in the Terms & Conditions which my flat-mate signed.

In section three of their T's & C's, they mention the possibility of a liable fee for cancellation, but nowhere does it state anything about €100. Where did this figure come from? Who decides how much it is? I think it's outrageous they expect me to pay it when there was no mention of it in anything I received from them.

Has anyone else had this problem? Post away!

If this was not outlined in the contract then you wont have you pay. However, you did say they mentioned a termination fee. The exact amount does not need to be specified, however, the amount should be reasonable - as per the Consumer Protection Act, 2007.

You will more than likely be liable for this 100 euro. If you are unable to use this service again due to floods then maybe ask your insurance company to pay them the 100 euro.

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They don't have to specify a specific amount in the T&C's, to be honest 100e is not a unreasonable in-contract cancelation charge.

Can you not move the service to your new address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

Thanks for the responses. I'm an eighteen year old student with very little experience in this kind of thing, haha.

Cabaal wrote: »

No, I've moved back home so it's not feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

As regards the insurance company paying it. How likely would that be?

The electricity is out in the house. I suppose that's one way of how my desire to use UPC's service is being prevented, is it?

itchyblood wrote: »
    As regards the insurance company paying it. How likely would that be?

The electricity is out in the house. I suppose that's one way of how my desire to use UPC's service is being prevented, is it?

I just looked at the T&C of a major insurer. There is no provision for subscriptions as such. They may only pay for the damage to the actual equipment, and not the cancellation fees.

You should call them and see. Ask the assessor to factor this in maybe, when they come to determine the damage.

Sorry about this, I know that fee is crazy as with all termination fees.

Maybe try and explain this to UPC and see what they say?

Sorry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Cabaal wrote: »
    They don't have to specify a specific amount in the T&C's, to be honest 100e is not a unreasonable in-contract cancelation charge.

Seems a bit high if they're looking for the rest of the contract to be paid out *and* charging 100 quid? Sure you'd be better off doing nothing, paying monthly, and cancelling when the contract runs out. Costs less plus you'd have the use of the cash in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

MOH wrote: »
    Seems a bit high if they're looking for the rest of the contract to be paid out *and* charging 100 quid? Sure you'd be better off doing nothing, paying monthly, and cancelling when the contract runs out. Costs less plus you'd have the use of the cash in the meantime.

I took it from the OP's post that he is paying out the 30 day notice period, and not the remainder of a 12 month contract. If that's the case, then 100 euro isn't bad (as long as that's less than what remains if the contract were to be paid in full). If it's in addition to what's left, then it's excessive.

jor el wrote: »
    I took it from the OP's post that he is paying out the 30 day notice period, and not the remainder of a 12 month contract. If that's the case, then 100 euro isn't bad (as long as that's less than what remains if the contract were to be paid in full). If it's in addition to what's left, then it's excessive.

UPC charge a termination fee of €100 euro, they do not charge you anything else, provided you return all their equipment fully working.

Unlike many telecoms UPC do not charge the monthly subscription fee for the remaining duration of the contract. IE you pay 100 euro plus your last months bill (30 days notice)

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

jor el wrote: »

Ah, my bad, I misunderstood it. €100 could be pretty reasonable alright if there's a good few months left on the contract.

Advertisement