Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar ballsbridge!

• 11-01-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭

I always knew this place was expensive but this just takes the cake. Went in to buy 2 1.5l bottles of volvic - €5.38!!

Dumbfounded for a second, I begrudgingly took just one. I would have walked but I was on company time and the taps were frozen in work (it was for the kettle). Needless to say I won't be buying water, or much else there anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Fckin Chancers €1.10 for soothers told them to shove it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Elessar wrote: »
    I always knew this place was expensive but this just takes the cake. Went in to buy 2 1.5l bottles of volvic - €5.38!!

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Their chicken roles are ace though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

That is outrageous.i can get 10l of Water of 4.99...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

That is outrageous.i can get 10l of Water of 4.99...

SuperValu: 2l = 39c, that €1.95 for 10l.

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote: »
    SuperValu: 2l = 39c, that €1.95 for 10l.

And tap water is free :rolleyes:

€5+ is a disgrace to pay for volvic, However people saying they pay such and such for water is stupid, I think volvic, evian and vittel are justified in paying more as somehow their water is MUCH nicer than the competitiors.

Bally G and Riverrock are just not nice.
    French water is the way to go but not at the price the OP bought it for

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cianor

Everything is a rip-off in that store (except items which are pre-priced by the manufacturer and cigarettes). I have never come across a more expensive store in Ireland.

cianor wrote: »
    Everything is a rip-off in that store (except items which are pre-priced by the manufacturer and cigarettes). I have never come across a more expensive store in Ireland.

Clearly you dont own a car then, Most service stations charge the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Was there no non-branded water there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

These guys are chancers. Cans of softdrink are 1€ and all say 'Multipack, not sold seperatly' same for some of the chocolate near the till.
    The ice creams that were there near the summer were all from lidl and the same price as the brand name ice creams.
    They also charge 50c extra for phone credit while the shop across the road (Bon expresso) does not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Hogzy wrote: »
    And tap water is free :rolleyes:
    Yeah, try drinking the crap that comes out of my taps.
    I think volvic, evian and vittel are justified in paying more as somehow their water is MUCH nicer than the competitiors
    The power of advertising :D

Gurgle wrote: »

The power of advertising :D

Eh no the power of taste :rolleyes:
    and tbh bally-G and Deep Riverock advertise a hell of a lot more than Evian, Vittel and Volvic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I needed to break a €10 note for the bus so I went in to buy a bar of chocolate. €1.40. They should be doing time for highway robbery.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

i refuse to shop in spar/centra any of these smaller "supermarkets" they're a bunch of thieves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

bryanjf wrote: »
    i refuse to shop in spar/centra any of these smaller "supermarkets" they're a bunch of thieves

Thats your perogative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

bryanjf wrote: »

Most of them are grand so long as you're not an idiot but that Ballsbridge Spar is absolutely extortionate. There's no other way to look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

These guys are chancers.
    Well it seems the chance/gamble is paying off for them. The OP bought the item so they will figure there is no reason to lower the prices if people are willing to pay.
    Dumbfounded for a second, I begrudgingly took just one. I would have walked but I was on company time and the taps were frozen in work (it was for the kettle). Needless to say I won't be buying water, or much else there anymore.
    Needless to say? You bought it last time then why not again if you are in the same situtation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

rubadub wrote: »
    Well it seems the chance/gamble is paying off for them. The OP bought the item so they will figure there is no reason to lower the prices if people are willing to pay.

Needless to say? You bought it last time then why not again if you are in the same situtation?

So true on both counts. Nobody forced you to pay for it (and you didn't anyway I'll wager, it came out of your company's petty cash). Not attacking you but not much point in complaining about it and then buying there.

The OP paid coz they were at the till. Quiet hard to turn around at that point and no guarantee to that the shop across the road would be any better! People may pay once but after that they will be hesitant to visit again.

Naturally OP was in a rare situation but for future purchaces i imagine the OP will associate that place as a rip-off (which it is) and avoid the place.

It is the nearest shop to me and I still walk the extra 10 mins to another shop for the odd few things coz i kno il be saving a good €2-3.
    tommy21 wrote: »
    Not attacking you but not much point in complaining about it and then buying there.

The OP bought it there first and then complained. And from the rest of the posts she isnt the only one complaining and they are dead right to!
    Whether its petty cash or a lil kids allowance money is money and its still a rip-off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

The OP bought it there first and then complained. And from the rest of the posts she isnt the only one complaining and they are dead right to!
    Whether its petty cash or a lil kids allowance money is money and its still a rip-off!

She is perfectly entitled to complain whether they bought it or not, and your right money is money. The point I was making is that the op sacrificed making a stand to save themselves inconvenience/embarrasment and the only message that sends is that its alright to keep charging outrageous prices.

• Advertisement

The OP paid coz they were at the till. Quiet hard to turn around at that point
    The OP never said he/she was at the till or not when they discovered the price, if there was no price displayed where he picked it up I would be reporting them.

He said he just took one and gave the reason he still bought the other.
    I would have walked but I was on company time and the taps were frozen in work

If it was a pub where the pint is pulled it would be awkward to refuse it, but not a shop at the till, they should be the ones embarrassed to ask for such a price.
    no guarantee to that the shop across the road would be any better!

OP was in a rare situation
    Exactly what I am getting at, he probably would do it again in the same situation.
    its still a rip-off!
    Well people have different ideas of what consitutes a "rip-off", I would describe the item simply as expensive. A rip-off in my mind infers deception, trickery or some sort of scam, like if the 1.5L bottles were filled with tap water, or only had 1L in them. The OP got what they WILLINGLY paid for, a consensual transaction is not a rip-off in my mind. This is a perfect example of what the market will bear, it WILL bear outrageous prices like this, and if a guy opens a shop next door he will be checking his neighbours prices to find what he can charge too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the problem with Ballsbridge is that there's no competition within a mile radius, so they'll charge whatever they want and most people will pay it

Well people have different ideas of what consitutes a "rip-off", I would describe the item simply as expensive. A rip-off in my mind infers deception, trickery or some sort of scam, like if the 1.5L bottles were filled with tap water, or only had 1L in them. The OP got what they WILLINGLY paid for, a consensual transaction is not a rip-off in my mind. This is a perfect example of what the market will bear, it WILL bear outrageous prices like this, and if a guy opens a shop next door he will be checking his neighbours prices to find what he can charge too.

Online Dictionary; Rip-of:[slang], A product or service that is overpriced or of poor quality.

Prices that are extortionate are a rip-off. If its of good quality (which everything should be) but is like 30% more expensive than the same item would be elsewhere then its a rip-off! Naturally if there deception then it takes it too another level (i.e. supermarket multi pack items sold separately, which are everywhere in this particular shop).

Online Dictionary; Rip-of:[slang], A product or service that is overpriced or of poor quality.

Prices that are extortionate are a rip-off. If its of good quality (which everything should be) but is like 30% more expensive than the same item would be elsewhere then its a rip-off!

Like I said -people have different ideas of what consitutes a "rip-off", so I will play your game.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&ei=3VZOS5uJIYqOjAfDgtyWDw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAQQBSgA&q=define%3ARip+Off&spell=1
    Definitions of Rip Off on the Web:

* cheat: deprive somebody of something by deceit; "The con-man beat me out of $50"; "This salesman ripped us off!"; "we were cheated by their clever-sounding scheme"; "They chiseled me out of my money"
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* heist: the act of stealing
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* A ripoff (or rip-off) is a bad deal. Usually it refers to an incident in which a person pays too much for something. A ripoff is distinguished from a scam in that a scam involves wrongdoing such as fraud; a ripoff, on the other hand, is in the eye of the beholder. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip-off

* Rip-Off is a top-down vector shoot 'em up arcade game released by Cinematronics in 1980. It is the first arcade game to feature cooperative gameplay and to exhibit flocking behavior.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip-Off

* A bad deal; an unfair price or rate; A theft or robbery; A scam; A copy, especially one that is illegal or inferior
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rip-off

* To pull off by ripping; to steal, cheat or swindle; to copy, especially illegally; to charge an exorbitant or unfair rate
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rip_off
    6 definitions, 1 a game, the rest a mixture as I would expect, once says distinct from a scam, other says a scam, other says stealing.

We're going in circles here. As you said before different people may have different opinions of what constitutes a rip-off and we clearly do!

Wonder what other people think...
    However the Spar Ballsbridge thread is in the right category imho:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm a bloke :eek:

Yeah, in a perfect world, I would have walked out and wasted more company time to find somewhere else selling the water at a respectable price. But I didn't, I couldn't as explained earlier. I re-used that same bottle the last couple of days and have not gone back to that shop. Nor will I. It's ok to complain about a rip-off if you needed to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

the problem with Ballsbridge is that there's no competition within a mile radius, so they'll charge whatever they want and most people will pay it

There is another shop across the road, but I don't know how they compare price-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

I'd guess Ballsbridge is the most interesting word here.
    As stated before not a lot of competition, RDS close by, couldn't see them charging anything else tbh.
    People will buy the goods so they will charge what they like.
    Unless people vote with their feet, they will continue to charge these prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Hogzy wrote: »
    Eh no the power of taste :rolleyes:
    and tbh bally-G and Deep Riverock advertise a hell of a lot more than Evian, Vittel and Volvic

I'd love to give you a blindfold test.

• Advertisement

ClutchIt wrote: »
    I'd love to give you a blindfold test.

TBH id be fairly confident i could tell the difference. As a matter of fact i think ill do it, Have a bottle of Riverrock downstairs and i have a bottle of Evian in my bad, Mind you the evian is not fresh. Might give it a go.

Advertisement