Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woodworm in floor joists

Options
  • 11-01-2010 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

We had a plumber in to move a radiator and he detected a bit of woodworm (crumbling areas) in the floor joists around where he was working. :eek: No structural damage was apparent, but I assume the problem will get worse over time. Our plumber suggested we bring someone in to evaluate other parts of our house and possibly spray beneath the floorboards before we cover up the exposed floorboards with new flooring.

I'd appreciate any recommendations of people who do this sort of work in the Dublin/Wicklow area, or instructions on what we could do ourselves if this is possibly a DIY job.

I've tried to research the problem online but there's lots of contradicting info and most treatment recommendations involve painting infected areas - which is impossible in this case without ripping up the entire downstairs flooring and that's probably overkill.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    CG
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Woodworm normally fly around april, you know this because you see the hole. You could get some Protim from good hardware and get one of those cheap pump pressure sprayers and spray the hell out of everything. They say you get a candle also and rub over the holes as woodworm can't eat through wax....If i was me I would take up floor in the immediate area,and checkout joists. Remember don't leave any bit of wood untreated....

Advertisement