Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere nice to eat in Oranmore?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's not in the city, but I know that there's some people who live in Oranmore who frequent this forum.

Anyone recommend somewhere nice (just hearty meal, not fancy) to eat in Oranmore?

When I say nice, I prefer to be filled with decent food, rather than something fancy - Not bothered about cuisine, i'm fairly open minded

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I know it's not in the city, but I know that there's some people who live in Oranmore who frequent this forum.

Anyone recommend somewhere nice (just hearty meal, not fancy) to eat in Oranmore?

When I say nice, I prefer to be filled with decent food, rather than something fancy - Not bothered about cuisine, i'm fairly open minded
    the only place i no of is KANES BAR .they have an eatery in back of the pub. or have they changed again. its beside centra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Keane's do good food, nice big portions of good pub grub

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

The Italian in Oranmore, Bascillico, is excellent and very reasonably priced. Its always packed, which is a good sign. If the restaurant is too expensive you could always try the front bar, The Coach House, where they have a limited but very good menu.

blond45 wrote: »
    the only place i no of is KANES BAR .they have an eatery in back of the pub. or have they changed again. its beside centra.
    ooops i spelled KEANES wrong same place but good food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks folks, going to head into Oranmore later. I've taken note of these places and will go to whichever tickles my fancy when I see it :)

Thanks folks, going to head into Oranmore later. I've taken note of these places and will go to whichever tickles my fancy when I see it :)
    aw can i come too? havent being out all xmas. :pkeanes would be your further point of call ,the others are as you come into oranmore .

blond45 wrote: »
    aw can i come too? havent being out all xmas. :pkeanes would be your further point of call ,the others are as you come into oranmore .

Not bothered about where in Oranmore really, as we have transport, just needs to be in the area as that's where we're staying tonight

Can you come? Sure, so long as you're female, hot and open-minded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

+ 1 for Basilico, fabulous food although they only do two sittings and can be keen to shift you out of there in time for the next crew.

Keane's is country/pub grub, lots of it but the place itself is a bit cold.

If you fancy Indian Santoor is fantastic, welll worth a visit.

Asian Fusion has gone down a bit since the place in Salthill opened, i wouldn't recommend any of the other chinese's.

Enjoy - and the Thatch is the spot for a pint after!

Indian is actually exactly what i'm in the mood for, 'Santoor' it might be! Will add that to my little list of possibilities :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Indian beside Supermacs is really nice but the tables are really on top of each other. I nomally go there or the Italian spot; Basillico.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

sgthighway wrote: »
    Indian beside Supermacs is really nice but the tables are really on top of each other.

That's Santoor - doubt there'll be too many people in there on a Monday night :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

+1 for Santoor, had a takeout from there once, very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Santoor is lovely I've never heard a bad word said about it. There's another newly opened place called Tasma beside Bar One Racing around the corner from O'Riordans and I got takeout from there last night. Absotively Posilutely Gorgeous!

Decided on Basilico. Was walking in the door and noticed they had big menu's covering the bar windows - Wayyyyy too expensive... we're not in Galway City Centre here. I realise they may have high rent rates (the building looks nice) but that's up to the restaurant to haggle. Anyhow, I walked away once I saw the prices

So accross the road to Santoor it was. The Sheesh Kebab was lovely - great! The Chicken Tikka Masala wasn't prepared properly imho. The sauce was too watery and flavourless, and the chicken was cooked on the grill (as opposed to cooked in a pot in the sauce); great for a Chicken Kebab, but not a saucy main course - it just didn't feel right

Just giving my 2c. Thanks for the recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Decided on Basilico. Was walking in the door and noticed they had big menu's covering the bar windows - Wayyyyy too expensive... we're not in Galway City Centre here. I realise they may have high rent rates (the building looks nice) but that's up to the restaurant to haggle. Anyhow, I walked away once I saw the prices

So accross the road to Santoor it was. The Sheesh Kebab was lovely - great! The Chicken Tikka Masala wasn't prepared properly imho. The sauce was too watery and flavourless, and the chicken was cooked on the grill (as opposed to cooked in a pot in the sauce); great for a Chicken Kebab, but not a saucy main course - it just didn't feel right

Shame you didnt have a great meal at Santoor, have been there a good few times and was excellent, but then I tend to go for their recommended dishes (never tried the T masala, always to bland a dish for me ;) ).
    Mind you always been told Monday is never a great day for going out for meals.
    Did you look at prices in the coach house/Basilica for the bar menu? I had thought prices there were reasonable, but may have got that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

As regards Basilico....the a la carte prices reflect the going rate for that standard of restaurant...;)there is a special,€20 for two courses,€25 for three courses,on a selection from the a la carte..excellent value if anyone fancies an experiment!

"Chicken tikka masala"....the hint is in the name....chicken tikka is marinated chicken,cooked on skewers,available as a dry dish.Legend has it that an English diner,in the early days of curry houses in Britain,complained that he wanted sauce on his dry dish,and tikka masala was born.

If you ever want to repeat the taste,but without the grilled texture,call for "chicken masala"....not a sauce i like personally,but there ya go!!:)

lovelyhome wrote: »
    In fairness, I was very happy with the portions from the Indian and it was of decent quality, so no regrets really... except that I was *very* full after! :D As for the Oslo, ate there once. OH had Chicken goujouns which I thought were very good value at 8/9euro (for the portion size) - However I was un-impressed with the chicken thai green curry - too expensive for the portion size (so a total 50 50 there!)
    Webbs wrote: »
    Shame you didnt have a great meal at Santoor, have been there a good few times and was excellent, but then I tend to go for their recommended dishes (never tried the T masala, always to bland a dish for me ;) ).
    Mind you always been told Monday is never a great day for going out for meals.
    Did you look at prices in the coach house/Basilica for the bar menu? I had thought prices there were reasonable, but may have got that wrong.
    I'll remember about the "Monday could be a bad day" in the future about places that may not open on a Sunday. In fairness though the OH's kebab was yum! No, I didn't look at the bar menu, I just looked at the prices on a big canvas menu on the outside of the building, covering the bar windows - maybe we should have gone inside and looked at the bar menu
    pounder770 wrote: »
    As regards Basilico....the a la carte prices reflect the going rate for that standard of restaurant...;)there is a special,€20 for two courses,€25 for three courses,on a selection from the a la carte..excellent value if anyone fancies an experiment!
    Fair enough, I was just comparing prices with other Italian restaurants i've been to, never remember them being that expensive. It wasn't a complaint, I just voted with my feet!
    "Chicken tikka masala"....the hint is in the name....chicken tikka is marinated chicken,cooked on skewers,available as a dry dish.Legend has it that an English diner,in the early days of curry houses in Britain,complained that he wanted sauce on his dry dish,and tikka masala was born.

If you ever want to repeat the taste,but without the grilled texture,call for "chicken masala"....not a sauce i like personally,but there ya go!!:)
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Basilico is the best restaurant i've been to in ages! I went before Christmas, 5 of us having a bit of a party, we all had starters, mains, and 3 desserts between us, 3 bottles of wine, a couple of beers, a limoncello or two...I thought the €50 each bill was incredibly reasonable for one of the best meals I've eaten in ages. So good, my OH and I went back again recently - the set menu was great value, and again, couldnt' fault the food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

Went to Basillicos, worst service i've ever experienced. Had to ask waiter for the drinks with our meal twice and he forgot both times. Just went to the bar and got them myself. It wasn't busy only 4 tables in total so no excuse. He also put the wrong food in front of the wrong people. They tried to charge us for extra drinks that we never had. I'd say the waiter had rang them in and never bothered to give them to us.

Foodwise tho, I only had chips as i was too hungover for anything else. The two girls I was with had pasta dishes but they said they both tasted the same as they were both riddled with pesto and that was all u cud taste. My friend got the seafood chowder. He near went home to get the fishing rod to try and find the fish cos there was barley anything in it LOL..

I wouldn't bother with the place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Just saw this thread now so will throw in my opinion, for what it's worth.
    Totally agree with Philboy, the service in Basilico is atrocious. It was shocking the first time I was there, but gave them the benefit of the doubt and went back a second time (about 6 weeks ago). There will not be a third time. The food was decent, but the service was disgraceful, and friends and work colleagues who have eaten there have similar reports - orders mixed up, courses delivered in staggered fashion rather than together, waiting staff looking everywhere but at you when talking to you and so on . . .
    Asian Fusion (Charlie Chan's place) is a joy, Santoor great as well (sorry to hear your experience was not as good John), and if anyone is ever looking for a recommendation for Oranmore again, I would strongly suggest those 2 and urge avoiding Basilico.
    Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I'm surprised at what people are saying about Basilico, never had a problem with them, great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I have to say I'm a bit surprised aswell about the negativity towards Basilico. Now I admit I don't eat there very regularly but I have been a few times wth people from work and I always found it top notch. Its a little expensive but you definately get what you pay for imho.

Unfortunate about the bad service ye have experienced. One bad waiter can wreck a person's opinion of a place for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Oranmore guy beside me (aido179) recommends The Coach House(?).

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I have to respond here, because Basilico is a great place I think and a lot of people I know and have been talking to think so too. I always bring friends visiting there, and 99% of them have been pleased. What I personally like as well is that it is a little bit different to pub-grub and Chinese/Indian places even if that can be nice occasionally too. I think it matters what you compare to as well, by Irish standards this is a very good place. To be fair to those who complain the service is not 100% strictly speaking but they are really friendly and Italian so that is ok.

It is not expensive for what you get though whatever way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Bit surprised too by the negativity toward Basilico. Maybe they just had off days when those people were there? I have eaten there several times with herself and with friends. We have never had any complaints about the food, drinks or service. Waiters have always been friendly and efficient when I was there. Would happily recommend it to anyone and I will certianly be back there again. It's top of the pile for me as far as oranmore is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

My previous experiences of Basilico/Coach house have been ok but ate there earlier on this week and while the food was decent the service was woeful! Worst service I've experienced in a very long time. Wouldn't be in a mad rush back as a result tbh.

Advertisement