Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat final year exams

Options
  • 11-01-2010 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Ok just a quick question from a panicing student. When you are in final year is it possible to repeat an exam during the summer? Or is it a one chance only thing on final year exams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Afaik you can repeat alright. Wouldn't be an issue, especially considering you can submit your project in September... so if the exams are in August/Sept you're still on track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 SoItsMe

Just panicing over an xmas exam and looking for reassurance I could do it again in Summer. Thanks for the response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I'd say it's grand if it's your first time taking the exam... but I've always assumed that if you fail an exam first time around then the best you can get is a 3rd class degree from the repeat. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the way of it, otherwise you'd have everyone taking advantage of the extra study time etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

So if you fail an exam TWICE you get downgraded to a third class degree? Imagine, four years of hard work down the drain just to settle for a pass degree.
    It's like the leaving cert all over again, except you can't repeat it to improve your grades. Pass degree == 4 years of college again. It's an employers market out there.

Even if someone was taking advantage, would the difference in exam papers for a given year not outweigh the benefits?
    You might have to re submit your coursework if you fcuk it up bigtime. You can't repeat final year seems to be the consensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 SoItsMe

Ok now I'm confused guys. I'm basically wondering are exams the same as every other year like? You sit your xmas exams and if you say happen to fail one can you resit it with the supplemental exams in August/September as is per usual for repeats?

I'm studying my arse off here and should pass....but I'm just making double sure I can do it again should there be desperate times??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Final year exams you have 2 chances to pass a module once that module is worth no more then 5 credits. After that you can only get a pass and nothing better.

Advertisement