Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BIOS PASSWORD REMOVE ! Help

• 11-01-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am trying to remove a BIOS password on a Toshiba Laptop..... any help ?? Ive scanned the net, and apparantly it cannot be done ... maybe someone does know ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

What's the model of the laptop ... that might help a little.

Sometimes removing the CMOS battery will do it. Have you tried googling for the Service Manual for the particular model you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

Have you tried the default manufacturer password yet? You might have to look up by the computer manufacturer or the company that wrote the bios, but there should be a default password and hopefully, it was not changed.

You might also be able to flash the bios, but keep in mind that it is possible to ruin the computer if you don't flash it right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

its a phoneix BIOS.... ive tried the default passwords ... no luck

Remo wrote: »
    its a phoneix BIOS.... ive tried the default passwords ... no luck

What's the exact model?

Also, is it a power on password or a BIOS security password? (I.e. can you boot into Windows?)

Toshiba Satellite A135

• Advertisement

sorry no its a Toshiba Equium A100-338

oh yes sorry its is a power on password ... i can get into the bios but thats it so no change of me wiping it ... unless i can get the password off then is a goner

i also read that taking the battery out does nothing !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Do ya know what the boot sequence is ?
    Users may change it over the course of time, if it's a USB device to boot first there may be a way which i had to use before.

oh yes sorry its is a power on password ... i can get into the bios but thats it so no change of me wiping it ... unless i can get the password off then is a goner

Looks like the Toshiba A135 had known problems with the BIOS password suddenly appearing spontaneously, requiring a firmware upgrade: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=227152&messageID=2307118

Looks like this guy had a similar problem with an A105, the same fix might work for your A100: http://kerneltrap.org/node/15419

• Advertisement

thanks anyway

Anymore suggestions guys ! please ?

Anymore suggestions guys ! please ?

Well, if you've nothing to lose, why not just re-flash the BIOS from a boot CD? Provided you can download a suitable BIOS from Toshiba.

You could even try contacting Toshiba directly, you never know ...

Otherwise, it ain't looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,231 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Laptops as it turns out, appear to be quite difficult to CMOS reset. More or less this is because they are so much easier to Steal. It makes the BIOS password a pretty serious deterrent, when its designed to be so much more difficult.

The only thing youll really be able, is to try any password you may have placed on it. Any of your web passwords even. Or ask others that have been using your laptop if they might have put the password on and try to have them unlock it with their passwords. Im sketchy on whether a Tech Place is going to even be able to unlock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Is there a jumper on laptop motherboards that can be changed to reset a BIOS password in the same manner as you would do with a desktop machine?

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop and I have set a power-on BIOS password so that if it is ever stolen it will be of little use to the thieving b'stard who took it. Unless I need to boot from an optical disc I leave the DVD drive disabled in the BIOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,231 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The_Thing wrote: »
    Is there a jumper on laptop motherboards that can be changed to reset a BIOS password in the same manner as you would do with a desktop machine?

Possibly but you would likely need to dismantle the whole thing to reach it, on most laptops. I've never gotten that far with a dismantle job to know for sure though. They arent really built for being taken apart a lot of em. Nearly snapped my own mainboard in half before I called it quits, and there I was just trying to clean the ****ing thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I found a video on YouTube here for instructions. It's for an A-135.

Advertisement