Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps3 and small claims court

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

That aint too bad if it gets things up and running again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leshogan

not bad considering smyhts gave me €395

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Not bad at all. You could even get an xbox :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

My PS3 slim which I bought on the 01/09/09 from Gamestop, still have the
    box and receipt, stopped reading games and Blu-Rays but still reads DVDs.

I've updated it, restored and wiped the HDD and still nothing. I've hardly used
    it the year I've had it.

Can I just walk back into Gamestop and get my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

BobPresto wrote: »
    My PS3 slim which I bought on the 01/09/09 from Gamestop, still have the
    box and receipt, stopped reading games and Blu-Rays but still reads DVDs.

I've updated it, restored and wiped the HDD and still nothing. I've hardly used
    it the year I've had it.

Can I just walk back into Gamestop and get my money back?

That's 1 year, 2 months, 10 days and while that is over the warranty, your consumer rights are covered for a repair/refund/replacement easily at that age. Gamestop may be jerks about it but know the specific laws that are stated and the worst that will happen is you'll need €15 for a scc and you'll more than probably win and get a resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sawyer08

Just wondering if there's been any more updates from people dealing with Smyths?
    my ps3 (which was bought around 3 years ago) got YLOD and i was going to phone consumer rights tomorrow and see what they say then phone Smyths

any advice on what to say/do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

The current version of the ps3 firmware has a “recovery console”.
    You access it by

1. Start with having the system in standby (redlight is on)

2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.

3. Press and hold the power button again and keep holding, it will beep as it turns on and then it will double beep. When you hear the double beeps immediately take your finger off the power button (if your system turns off before you get a double beep just try again and hold the button, it should double beep the 2nd time you try)

4. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button

You will now have a screen with these options
    1. Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
    2. Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
    CHOOSE THIS ONE 3.Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
    4. Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
    5. Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
    6. System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHOOSE THE WRONG OPTION HERE OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA. The one that fixed my blu-ray drive is option 3: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM

I REPEAT CHOOSE RESTORE FILE SYSTEM

After this, it is going to restart and bring up a screen reading something like “you have Corrupted System Data. Your PS will now replace this data” Then you choose continue and that should be it.

This option reinstalls the system files and drivers inside the PS3 with the original ones that are stored on your hard drive. In this case, it replaced a corrupted driver for the blu ray drive thus fixing my issue and hopefully yours!! This option will only replace all system files thus saving you from loosing any data that’s stored on your hard drive. Again this option does nothing to your hard drive it reads a file from the drive and rewrites it to the PS3 system.

Here is a video of the recovery screen.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0SPmkV-jco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nhallahan

After reading through all these claims I decided to go the route of the small claims court I followed the steps of ringing xtra-vision writing to xtra-vision, contacting sony and then filling an application to the small claims court. Upon application the small claims registrar got back to me and said that I don't have a vailid claim as I had a 1 year warrenty on the ps3. I had bought my ps3 3 years ago so I guess im just going to have to shell up the 160 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

nhallahan wrote: »
    After reading through all these claims I decided to go the route of the small claims court I followed the steps of ringing xtra-vision writing to xtra-vision, contacting sony and then filling an application to the small claims court. Upon application the small claims registrar got back to me and said that I don't have a vailid claim as I had a 1 year warrenty on the ps3. I had bought my ps3 3 years ago so I guess im just going to have to shell up the 160 euro

There are case numbers here, that you could have used when discussing it with the registrar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sawyer08

I'd phone Consumer Rights and ask them about it
    I also got my PS3 3 years ago and Smyths have told me to phone Sony,
    i've been trying to get in touch with them for days but i can't get an answer, but i wont be giving up without a fight.
    Consumer Rights said i have a right since something i paid so much for should be expected to have a longer lifespan
    Phone consumer rights and ask them about appealing the courts decision
    it'll be worth saving €160 if they think you have a case

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That is none of the registrar's concern. He/She isn't there to dispense the law. Go back and tell them you are bringing this precisely because they are trying to override your statutory rights. As NorrieRugger says, point out previouscase numbers if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

There are two important points you need to familiarise yourself with here.
    The first is the "sale of goods and supply of services act 1980" and the other is the "consumer information act, 1978".
    Under the sale of goods act, retailers are obliged to provide goods that meet the criteria as set down under merchantable quality guidelines. Therefore as described, fit for purpose, and reasonably durable. When a retailer sells you a product or service they enter into a contract with you. It is up to the retailer to sort out your problem, don't let them fob you off to Sony. Keep your reciept safe.
    The consumer information act puts the burden of proof on the retailer, so don't let them tell you that you have to prove a fault, or show why the console failed. It should be working.

"Consumer Information Act, 1978

20.—Where, in any proceedings under the Acts involving a trade description or under this Act, the truth of any indication, direct or indirect and by whatever means given—

( a ) by a manufacturer, producer or other supplier thereof with respect to goods or the price of goods, or

( b ) by a person providing services, accommodation or facilities with respect to the services, accommodation or facilities, or the charges for the services, accommodation or facilities,

is an issue, and the person who gave the indication does not establish that on the balance of probabilities the indication is true, it shall be presumed to be untrue."

sawyer08 wrote: »
    I also got my PS3 3 years ago and Smyths have told me to phone Sony,
    i've been trying to get in touch with them for days but i can't get an answer, but i wont be giving up without a fight.

Smyths are obliged to sort this out for you too, but it is no harm going through the motions and contacting sony direct. They are just going to give you the same old run around. If you still can't contact them by phone, you can send them an e-mail. As for Smyths, i would send them an e-mail too, to <customer.service@toys.ie>. Outline that you are aware of your rights under the sale of goods act, and that you intend taking legal action through the small claims court if you don't get a satisfactory response from them.
    They have been down this road and lost, so probably won't want to bother with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Hi Guys, My boys bought a PS3 back in August, Today it stopped reading discs we have reset it back and reconfigured it but still no Joy.

I have the original receipt and box would Smyths replace it ?

I am loathed to send it back for repair so close to christmas as all they have asked for are new games and it would be a very quite day if they did not have the console:(

Anyone with any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

You should bring it back to the shop, it's still under warranty if you only bought it back in August!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, My boys bought a PS3 back in August, Today it stopped reading discs we have reset it back and reconfigured it but still no Joy.

I am loathed to send it back for repair so close to christmas as all they have asked for are new games and it would be a very quite day if they did not have the console:(

My slim died after about 3 months, brought it back to GAME, walked out with a new slim less than 10 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

If smyths are making this a complete pain in the ass when customers are following the rules and going through the paces then I'll take note, tell everyone I know (I get asked all the time about videogames) to buy from Argos etc.

If smyths are making this a complete pain in the ass when customers are following the rules and going through the paces then I'll take note, tell everyone I know (I get asked all the time about videogames) to buy from Argos etc.

I bought all of my consoles/accessories and most of my games, from Smyths, they have lost all of my business.
    Also lost the business of my extended family and friends. That is quite a considerable amount TBH.

If that works through, with others, on this thread then it will be a nice chunk of money going to Game/Gamestop or to online stores

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You need to appeal this decision and use the case numbers of the people that have been successful on this thread to show that this case has come up and it has been won. I don't think the small claims registrar has any power to deny you anyway so get on to them about your consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

im a student up in galway,my ps3 is acting up,it will not play out from the rca/scart outlet.it will display on the hd tv at home via hdmi but with rca cable any tv iv tried it wont recognise the signal. iv tried many different rca cables aswel and still no luck.what should i do?
    keep in mind im a student and id rather not use a hd tv as it will either be stolen or broken up here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I bought all of my consoles/accessories and most of my games, from Smyths, they have lost all of my business.
    Also lost the business of my extended family and friends. That is quite a considerable amount TBH.

If that works through, with others, on this thread then it will be a nice chunk of money going to Game/Gamestop or to online stores

TBH, the one I would now buy from is Smyths. They have been caught by the short and curlies here, and it should be easy enough to keep bringing cases against them. You might have to start all over again with XV, GS or whoever. I don't think any of the others would be shy of letting it go to court either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

vinniew09 wrote: »
    im a student up in galway,my ps3 is acting up,it will not play out from the rca/scart outlet.it will display on the hd tv at home via hdmi but with rca cable any tv iv tried it wont recognise the signal. iv tried many different rca cables aswel and still no luck.what should i do?
    keep in mind im a student and id rather not use a hd tv as it will either be stolen or broken up here.

If it's less than a year old bring it back to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

nah its a 40gb its well old but its still working great just no signal from the 'rca port' is their any alternative? if i had to pay for a repair on average how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Just an update, Brought the PS3 back to Smyths tonight and in and out within 5 minutes with a brand new replacement and 40Gb extra in memory, no questions asked or hassle.

Just an update, Brought the PS3 back to Smyths tonight and in and out within 5 minutes with a brand new replacement and 40Gb extra in memory, no questions asked or hassle.

How old was it though?

How old was it though?

Bought in August?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Bought in August?

Duh me.
    I thought that it was someone new quoting agent99 about their own experience.

That id what i get for zooming in on the mobile screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevineenm

Hey,

My 60GB launch model PS3 got the YLOD few months back...

I rang sony and they offered me a refurbished unit as I was out of warranty I declined and decided to get the unit repaired...

Its runnning fine since but Im afraid its gonna YLOD on me again just wondering do I have a leg to stand on or am I screwed seen as the unit was opened?

Could I make a claim through the small claims court without having to show my unit to anybody or how does it work....?

Prob stupid questions I know,but can anyone advise me on what to do?

Cheers

kevineenm wrote: »
    Hey,

My 60GB launch model PS3 got the YLOD few months back...

I rang sony and they offered me a refurbished unit as I was out of warranty I declined and decided to get the unit repaired...

Its runnning fine since but Im afraid its gonna YLOD on me again just wondering do I have a leg to stand on or am I screwed seen as the unit was opened?

Could I make a claim through the small claims court without having to show my unit to anybody or how does it work....?

Prob stupid questions I know,but can anyone advise me on what to do?

Cheers

I think once you open the unit you have voided any chance you may have had to make a genuine case. Keep your fingers crossed and hope the repair lasts a reasonable period of time.

Maybe start saving for your next console, which have become much more reasonably priced anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭robryan

Hi,
    I have just come across this thread and it seems I am having the same problems that most have encountered.

I have recieved the error code 80010514 when loading up the game FIFA 11 on my PS3 Slim 120GB system. I was not sure if it was the game or Console at first as some of the suggested actions to carry out where to clean the disk or dust etc.. and on the 1st few times of seeing this error when I cleaned the disk and tried again it would work and the game would load. However now it will not load at all, I have formatted the HDD using both quick format and full format. After the formats when I try to start the Game I get an option to download the latest updated for the game and after these have downloaded the game loads and I can play it fine but when I turn the PS3 off and when I go back to it I get the 80010514 error every time. This is really annoying as the PS was only bought last January (2010) so I should still be under warranty. I have been onto Sony and they said to try to format the drive and it should work but if it does not work bring it back to the retailer (Smyths - Jervis Street).

This problem I am having seems to be identical to what has been described in the earlier threads. Did anyone have the same PS3 120GB and had the same issue have any issues with smths getting a replacement PS3 from Smyths?

Thanks
    RB

Advertisement