Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC V Segnet systems??

Options
  • 11-01-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys

After a bit of info between the main differences or pros and cons of the HKC and signet panels?

I use the HKC all the time for the company i work for, and they never seem to use the signet, i have repaired one before but never fitted one from scratch.

HKC Secure Watch:
    Easy to install
    Easy to use / user friendly
    Not too expensive
    Plug on modem card and easy programming

Can anybody help add to list and start a signet list, and a con's list. Might help people who are thinking of upgrading. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

SigNet Pros
    Easy to Install
    Newer technology
    Starts at same price as HKC
    Plug on Modems /GSM
    X10 Ready
    Connects to PC
    Cause & effect to switch outputs & X10
    Remote access
    Infinate Log
    More user codes
    More control via time/calanders
    Integrated wireless

I'll post more as I think of them.
    I honestly cant think of one reason to install HKC over SigNet

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dan_

X10 would not appeal to me anyway i feel its a bit to old an Diy looking for me, but its good for people who have some installed in their homes, also the remote access is a nice feature!

Is there a big difference between the 100 and the 200/300? just more users and zones.

The build in wireless module is of huge use to some installations!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Dan_ wrote: »
    X10 would not appeal to me anyway i feel its a bit to old an Diy looking for me,
    How is it DiY looking??
    Is there a big difference between the 100 and the 200/300? just more users and zones.
    Pretty much the 200 has 128 zones & users
    300 has 256
    220 & 300 has built in web server for better remote access.
    200,220 & 300 have more X10 features. & extra outputs plus extra comms ports/bus

i know a lot of people do like them and to be honest i never used any, but i don't like the look of them ...the socket looks like one of them cheap timers and what if you have spotlights using 3 or 4 different switch wires? and not just a ceiling rose?

i do like home automation and am looking into different systems i might install in my own house but x10 i think is not the way to go.

Can you on the, 100, access the system over a broad band connection? and use the remote sms access over a standard pstn line?

If so then i agree with you '' I honestly cant think of one reason to install HKC over SigNet ''

You should take a look at the 2nd generation sockets etc..
    For access over broadband SigNet 220 or 300 is required.

• Advertisement

koolkid wrote: »
    You should take a look at the 2nd generation sockets etc..
    For access over broadband SigNet 220 or 300 is required.

Thanks for the information, ill get one to play around with, and see if i can convince my boss to start using it, its an all round better panel than the hkc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

HKC Secure Watch:
    Easy to install
    Not too expensive
    REMOTE ACCESS VIA GSM
    EVENT TIMERS
    SMARTLIGHT TIMERS
    SMARTDOOR TIMERS
    POINT ID CONTACTS
    POINT ID INERTIAS
    POINT ID INERTIA/CONTACTS
    POINT ID MOTION DETECTORS
    WIRE FREE COMING SOON

altor wrote: »
    HKC Secure Watch:
    Easy to install
    Not too expensive
    REMOTE ACCESS VIA GSM
    EVENT TIMERS
    SMARTLIGHT TIMERS
    SMARTDOOR TIMERS
    POINT ID CONTACTS
    POINT ID INERTIAS
    POINT ID INERTIA/CONTACTS
    POINT ID MOTION DETECTORS
    WIRE FREE COMING SOON

wire free is a long time coming..but i think its out now ..and its coming out with out a wireless keypad! keypad not out untill maybe march which is December for hkc

But i totally forgot about the point id stuff which is so handy in some places.

But with built in wireless on the signet, you have the best of both worlds!

But with built in wireless on the signet, you have the best of both worlds!

A quick bridge will add the wireless feature to any panel. Another good hybrid system is the ATS from aritech. Have you used this system yet ?

the quick bridge is always an option if you require wireless on the hkc but when you factor in the price of the panel and quick bridge ..it make more sense to go aritec or signet.

But for a small pre wired house , and if the customer wants a simple alarm then i would probably still go hkc

• Advertisement

the quick bridge is always an option if you require wireless on the hkc but when you factor in the price of the panel and quick bridge ..it make more sense to go aritec or signet.

You still have to buy the wireless receiver for the signet, just like aritech.
    But for a small pre wired house , and if the customer wants a simple alarm then i would probably still go hkc

Any of the alarms out there will cover this be that HKC, ARITECH, ASTEC or SIGNET.

the signet has a built in wireless module?

the signet has a built in wireless module?

The 200 and the 300 has, not the 100.

didn't know that. Which do you prefer to use? out of the hkc aritec and scoptronic.

didn't know that. Which do you prefer to use? out of the hkc aritec and scoptronic.

The ATS from aritech or the HKC, depends on what the customer needs installed. The HKC with point id sensors is handy for motions off any cable in the house plus with the text dialer it says what point has activated e.g point 51 kitchen window, plus gives you a verified text when a beam or second device has being activated in the premises.
    The ATS is good if you cant get a cable to a point for a beam or you have a cable broken as you just put in the receiver and stick the wirefree device on it.
    The astec fusion is also like the HKC system, very easy to install plus it can use two wires to get you out of a hole so there are many options out there for installers.

Either one works for me, the signet in my own opinion is for commercial premises. Who is going to use access control, cause & effect to switch outputs & X10, Infinate Log, user codes of up to 200 or control via time/calanders on there house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Signet for me anytime. If you asked me 18 months ago I might have said HKC or Aritech but not now. I think all the reasons have been listed.
    The x10 is a bit of a gimmick and is a bit dated but the usb connection is a big plus
    The signet 100 does come with the RF module. The last batch of panels I bought had them and all for the same price as the HKC.
    If you went to Norbain they will sell it without the RF at a cheaper price but at this moment in time Norbain are not selling Europlex

WRT the SigNet being a commercial panel. The SigNet 100 is obviousally aimed at the domestic market. I would consider the ATS much more of a commercial panel. The ATS also incorporates Access control so I don't understand slating one panel for having it while recommending another for having the same feature.
    The X10 may seem like a gimmick but once the practical applications are explained to people they really go for it. We do a basic package incorporating 2 lamps ,1 appliance switch & 1 heating switch. The 2 lamps & heating is what everyone uses. Who last week would not have been delighted to turn on their heating on the way home..
    Usually I get customers calling me back after think up some new applications themselves.
    However even without X10 feature the SigNet is simply miles ahead of HKC.
    There is not one feature HKC has over the SigNet & with both coming in around the same cost I cant offer one logical reasong to be still installing HKC.
    The point ID sensors are also old technology which was short lived & created more problems than they solved. With larger zone capacity, there is no excuse for more than 2-3 sensors on any individual zone.

I am not slating the signet, just giving my opinion and options. What type problems ? I have never had any problems with them..
    You say about old technology, but correct me if i am wrong dont signet use visonic wire free sensors.. How old is that technology ?

I am not slating the signet, just giving my opinion and options. What type problems ? I have never had any problems with them..
    You say about old technology, but correct me if i am wrong dont signet use visonic wire free sensors.. How old is that technology ?

The problems with HKC Poind ID sensors losing comms & voltage drop issues were well documented at the time.
    WRT to the technology involved I am referring to the control equipment.
    WRT Visonic Sensors I would use 868Mhz over Aritechs 433mhz any day.

Like I said I have still to hear a single feature HKC has over SigNet.
    I don't understand companys hangine onto old technology.
    If we all did that we would still be installing Horizon & Itec systems.

The problems with HKC Poind ID sensors losing comms & voltage drop issues were well documented at the time.

So your talking about the old type ID SENSORS. This problem has being rectified a long time.
    WRT to the technology involved I am referring to the control equipment.

If you look at the list you gave it has Integrated wireless added in by yourself.
    WRT Visonic Sensors I would use 433Mhz over Aritechs 868mhz any day.

433Mhz has so many gadgets on it at this stage that interfer with the alarm. Time to move on from this and use the 868mhz.
    I don't understand companys hangine onto old technology.
    If we all did that we would still be installing Horizon & Itec systems.

The HKC is up to the EN50131 standards used today. The Horizon & Itec system are not. At the end of the day if a customer wants extras installed to control heating, turn on lights it can be done with or with out any alarm installed. That does not make the HKC panel less of an alarm than the signet.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify the signet is 868mhz and not 433mhz

Jnealon wrote: »
    Just to clarify the signet is 868mhz and not 433mhz

Dont you mean the wirefree sensors made by visonic use 868mhz not 433mhz

So your talking about the old type ID SENSORS. This problem has being rectified a long time.
    Maybe so . But I still see little need for them in todays markey.
    If you look at the list you gave it has Integrated wireless added in by yourself.
    I am still referring to the control equipment.
    433Mhz has so many gadgets on it at this stage that interfer with the alarm. Time to move on from this and use the 868mhz.
    Apologies . In my previous post I got the frequencies the wrong way around(Corrected now). Your well up in the business you know what I ment. And as jnealon correctly pointed out SigNet do use the more reliable 868 MHz
    The HKC is up to the EN50131 standards used today. The Horizon & Itec system are not. At the end of the day if a customer wants extras installed to control heating, turn on lights it can be done with or with out any alarm installed. That does not make the HKC panel less of an alarm than the signet.
    What makes it less of a panel is simply this. It is older technology with less features. Answer this honestly , if you were buying a PC would you pay the same for what is standard spec today to what was a standard spec 5 years ago?
    The standards are not in dispute. But again I ask Name one feature the HKC has over the SigNet?

But again I ask Name one feature the HKC has over the SigNet?

Yes i can.
    The HKC system has the ability to put 40 point id sensors on it, be that contacts, inertias, inertia/contacts, motions and each one is given its own point on the alarm so the system can tell which sensor has activated.

You would need 40 zones on the signet to do this, but the signet 100 only has 8 zones..

Seriousally???
    Does anyone still use those?
    If you are comparing to the SigNet 100 then its logical to assume your referring to a domestic application. Please tell me you wouldn't consider it on a commercial or industril application?
    In a house ??40 Point Ids???
    Come on!!!

ID sensors, bring me back to the old Identifier. There wasn't much of a demand for them back then and there still isn't any demand for them now

Seriousally???
    Does anyone still use those?
    If you are comparing to the SigNet 100 then its logical to assume your referring to a domestic application. Please tell me you wouldn't consider it on a commercial or industril application?
    In a house ??40 Point Ids???
    Come on!!!

I was using the basic signet panel as an example..
    You asked for one feature the HKC has over the SigNet and thats what you got..

No need to get so uptight about it..
    Come on thats like saying a key swicth was a feature that no longer available.
    There really is no compariosn, It remindes me of the time the Aritech CD range was being phased out. Lots of installers couldn't let go. They were afraid to get out of their comfort zone.
    You have to be honest & admit it. Comparing like with like & price with price the SigNet 100 is a far superior panel & much better value.
    Are you saying the only reason you still install HKC is for ID sensors?

Are you saying the only reason you still install HKC is for ID sensors?

I use and install what ever suits a customers house just like yourself. There are so many different alarms out there to choose from that are up to the EN50131 standard. I am sure the signet is not the only alarm you install..

• Advertisement

Jnealon wrote: »
    ID sensors, bring me back to the old Identifier. There wasn't much of a demand for them back then and there still isn't any demand for them now

That why HKC developed there ID motion detector, no demand on the market for them

Advertisement