Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ross Hemp Shop

Options
  • 11-01-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Right ive heard about this on the radio today and im shocked how long it took for some person to ring up and complain about it..

sorry head shop**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Was that on Joe Duffy? i heard part of a conversation on the effects the stuff has on some people.

I was really surprised. i've never been in one, but had assumed the stuff they sold were all fairly harmless!

There is one near me in Wexford, but have never even seen anyone go into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Dinkie wrote: »
    Was that on Joe Duffy? i heard part of a conversation on the effects the stuff has on some people.

I was really surprised. i've never been in one, but had assumed the stuff they sold were all fairly harmless!

There is one near me in Wexford, but have never even seen anyone go into it!

yeah joe duffy :)

the stuff is bad but it shouldent be there since it sells stuff that can kill ya :P

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

where is its alleged location.

wexfjord wrote: »
    where is its alleged location.

eerr... read the title again :rolleyes:

I know its not a big town but was looking for a rough location, wasnt aware of its existence. If you dont know the answer then be mature and keep schtum:P.

Was listening to an interview with a family member of a guy who died having taken magic mushrooms purchased from one of these shops a number of years ago, (Last Word, Today FM.). While the shrooms are banned, its frightening the range of products that they can legally sell, "bath salts", "plant food" etc, all of which produce the same effects as cocaine, amphetamines etc.

It wont be long before the illicit dealers try and push some of these head shops out of town and regain their hard earned monopolies.

• Advertisement

I know its not a big town but was looking for a rough location, wasnt aware of its existence. If you dont know the answer then be mature and keep schtum:P.

Was listening to an interview with a family member of a guy who died having taken magic mushrooms purchased from one of these shops a number of years ago, (Last Word, Today FM.). While the shrooms are banned, its frightening the range of products that they can legally sell, "bath salts", "plant food" etc, all of which produce the same effects as cocaine, amphetamines etc.

It wont be long before the illicit dealers try and push some of these head shops out of town and regain their hard earned monopolies.

sorry for being a smart @ss
    uhh if you know ann mcdonalds go up that hill cross the road and its a shop called tinkerton or something like that theres all spray paints etc in the front
    ssorry again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

yeah totally agree but tbh don't think anyone would really care who pushes these people out of our towns.

whatever loopholes allow these business trade should be sorted out before more young people die!

Magaa wrote: »
    sorry for being a smart @ss
    uhh if you know ann mcdonalds go up that hill cross the road and its a shop called tinkerton or something like that theres all spray paints etc in the front
    ssorry again:rolleyes:

You're alright, I too was being a smart a**e,

I think I know where youre on about, thanks.

1966 wrote: »
    yeah totally agree but tbh don't think anyone would really care who pushes these people out of our towns.

whatever loopholes allow these business trade should be sorted out before more young people die!

Theyre able to evade regulation by selling them as food supplements among other things. The various other guises under which they sell their wares advise that they are not for human consumption or other such disclaimer. Medicines board are after them, as are Gardai, Revenue and department of health. Should only take a few years!

I'd sooner chance a bottle of poitin, at least you know that the man who made it will have sampled his wares. Any of this junk, along with counterfeit ciggies and alcohol is pure poison and should be avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Magaa wrote: »
    Right ive heard about this on the radio today and im shocked how long it took for some person to ring up and complain about it..

sorry head shop**

Why not do some actual research than the general spectacular bull**** Joe spouts on about?
    1966 wrote: »

Link to a reliable source other than the almighty Joe showing the products sold can kill please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Have to agree, someone on another thread said that since this is on Joe Duffy politicians will push to get this closed down with the lynch mob. Reading this thread im worried he might be right. Before anyone starts thinking they are experts after listening to people who are clueless ramble on about things they dont understand cant you maybe do a little research and maybe get an opinion of your own?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Jaysus there seem to be a fair few Armchair Experts on the dangers of these substances, can anyone actually back up thir argument with something more than
    'I heard it on Joe Duffy'
    ?????????????

RMD wrote: »
    Why not do some actual research than the general spectacular bull**** Joe spouts on about?

my god whats your problem?!

im simply making a chat about it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Awwww I read the title and thought someone opened a head store called "Ross Hemp." Not interested now!!

Seeing as we have experts on both sides of the debate, lets here from the joe duffy deniers. "Joe said it so it must not be true" is about as down right stupid as it gets, well done lads and thanks for keeping us amused with you well considered arguments.

(Not a fan of joe by the way)

OK, lets ease off on the sentiment here.

This could be a really good discussion, I'd just like to see a little more reasoned debate rather then tending towards personal attacks..

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Has it been open long? Have passed by there a few times lately and didnt notice it.
    I dont listen to joe duffy as i believe him to be the greatest danger to Ireland since the famine.
    so heres my 2 pence, if your gonna try out these legal highs do some research before you go out wasting money, most if not all is over priced crap.
    To the people that seem to think that shops like this will piss off drug dealers and run them out of town, well you have to come back down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Seeing as we have experts on both sides of the debate, lets here from the joe duffy deniers. "Joe said it so it must not be true" is about as down right stupid as it gets, well done lads and thanks for keeping us amused with you well considered arguments.

(Not a fan of joe by the way)

Yes, I would laugh at someone who bases their facts on "Joe said so it musn't be true", but that's what the people claiming they need to be shut down is doing as well "Joe said so it must be true". So ye, by your logic that's down right stupid as well.

I've used many of these substances before sold in head shops, different ones designed to simulate Cannabis, MDMA, Ecstasy and Cocaine. Some have been amazing some have been ****e, I wont write what I recommend, I'll let the people who want to research that.

From the quite in depth research I've done so far that's available over the internet, there has been no reported cases of overdoses, assaults or murders caused by these head shop substances. Having tried cocaine substitutes from there, it gives the same energy buzz and europhic feeling, but I've never felt twitchy or aggressive from it.

The cannabis substitutes have never done more than give me a barely noticeable sedative high to a full blown high compareable or even better than that of Cannabis available in Ireland.

The current problem is there's been very little research done into these products for their effects on humans both mentally and physically. Many come laballed with "not for human consumption" which means they don't have to undergo a toxocology test or list their ingredients. This has led to illegal substances being found in products before, most noticeably ketamine.

So for now, I say let them remain legal, let those who use them use them, they don't create mad habits that lead to crime, there's nobody killing eachother to put these things into shops and if the cocaine substitute purchases continue to boom like they are right now, violent drug related crime could fall since theres less demand for illegal drugs.

OK, lets ease off on the sentiment here.

This could be a really good discussion, I'd just like to see a little more reasoned debate rather then tending towards personal attacks..

thank you.. :o

They try to sell the entire shop as an sort of spraypaint type shop in the front
    you have to be 18 to get in the back so i suppose its aleast the shop owners are taking into consideration the fact that 10 year old kids have been trying this stuff.

I myself im in school at the moment and from what ive heard around my school this shop is gettin some serious bussiness in the factor of buying cheaper legal weed type herbs cheaper and give the same buzz.

funkyouup wrote: »
    Has it been open long? Have passed by there a few times lately and didnt notice it.
    I dont listen to joe duffy as i believe him to be the greatest danger to Ireland since the famine.
    so heres my 2 pence, if your gonna try out these legal highs do some research before you go out wasting money, most if not all is over priced crap.
    To the people that seem to think that shops like this will piss off drug dealers and run them out of town, well you have to come back down to earth.

yeah i think its being closed for the past 2 weeks for christmas holidays

• Advertisement

must have scared every one off :O

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

wreckless wrote: »
    head shops is it? :D;)

yeah and no!

some people call them hemp and others head so yeah :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

The current problem is there's been very little research done into these products for their effects on humans both mentally and physically. Many come laballed with "not for human consumption" which means they don't have to undergo a toxocology test or list their ingredients. This has led to illegal substances being found in products before, most noticeably ketamine.

Ok so here's some good news for all the worried parents and thrill seekers.

Not sure if anyone keeps up with international news, but a couple of months ago there was a big furore about Gordon Brown and the government drug advisory team he employed.
    He basically got the best chemist in Britain to form a team and conduct research into all the common place drugs that are sold and consumed in Britain today.

His findings were that Extecy in it's purest form(MDMA) and Cannibas were less harmful o the human body than Tabacco and Alcohol(why can i not spell this morning?).
    That wasn't the answer Mr. Brown was looking for... :(
    So he disregarded one of the worlds best chemists' work and kept cannibas + MDMA as Grade B drugs. He also made a big long statement on the "dangers of them"

This made the whole scientific community very, lets say... P**sed!
    The scientist along with most of his team criticised the government publicly and were then sacked(for doing their job!). So finally some independent research is done on the harmfulness of these drugs, which people are gonna take anyway and it's completely ignored.

But wait there is a silver lining. The researcher in question has decided to go on alone with his research without gov funding, he has got most of his team and has brought together more of Britains top people to work on it.

here's the first story http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8334774.stm

I love this quote, Mr Huhne said if the government did not want to take expert scientific advice, it might as well have "a committee of tabloid newspaper editors to advise on drugs policy"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/nov/02/david-nutt-dangerous-drug-list
    Here's another article about his research very interesting stuff, I'm not big into drugs, I'm not "on one side" so to speak. But it's very dissapointing that The UK government would put their own political image ahead of keeping the public safe.
    Oh well, that's politics for ya!

lol
    I love the great reporting rte do!
    Just a few days ago this was international news and they miss the connection completely.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100126/tsc-uk-cannabis-policies-011ccfa.html

IMO the ministers threats are hollow although I agree with banning those substitutes, any studies that have been conducted on them show them to be more dangerous than their illegal equivalent!

Looking at reports like this are more than enough of a reason to make these things which some are going to do no matter what go through some kind of channel where their quality can be screened.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100123/tts-uk-anthrax-europe-ca02f96.html

And then you see a doctor on the Late Late saying how cannabis is causing knife crime in Ireland... You'd think a doctor would know better lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

So for now, I say let them remain legal, let those who use them use them, they don't create mad habits that lead to crime, there's nobody killing eachother to put these things into shops and if the cocaine substitute purchases continue to boom like they are right now, violent drug related crime could fall since theres less demand for illegal drugs.

not entirely true a guy was shot in derry last night for selling/putting them in his shop....

i was also shocked when i heard on RTE news they basicly said the drug lords are going to shut down these shops?

the drug bussiness is killing people

hemp shops let them do what they want we dont pester people for smoking.. that much anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Why would the drug lords close down Head shops since they are probably behind many of them?

• Advertisement

Why would the drug lords close down Head shops since they are probably behind many of them?

Probably?

This is a ridiculous assumption, anyone stupid enough to deal drugs illegally when they also have a nose in a legal high shop will be caught straight away!

Advertisement