Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ross Hemp Shop

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I would have thought it would be an ideal way to move from the illegal drug business into a more 'legitimate' business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I would have thought it would be an ideal way to move from the illegal drug business into a more 'legitimate' business.

Yeah I guess, but there's no expertise involved in drug dealing. Although it might seem like a natural enough progression, Drug dealers if they wanted to break free I'd presume they'd be looking for something less obvious. If you know what I mean?

The only reason why they'd get out of a business in which they're making huge amounts of money on would be to get the monkey off their shoulder.
    Or at least that's what I think anyway

The latest on the Enniscorthy 'Head' shop scene....http://www.countywexford.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

funkyouup wrote: »
    To the people that seem to think that shops like this will piss off drug dealers and run them out of town, well you have to come back down to earth.

The term "up in smoke" has taken a literal meaning in recent days with supposedly republican interests burning out two head shops. Are they vigilantes or are they safeguarding the drug dealing organisations for which they volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This whole thing is getting out of hand, our government and public service media outlets are more or less backing mob rule, it's a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

We're going backwards....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We're going backwards....

But now quick enough, if we could just rewind 70 years this thread wouldn't exist and neither would our self imposed stupid laws. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

1966 wrote: »
    yeah totally agree but tbh don't think anyone would really care who pushes these people out of our towns.

whatever loopholes allow these business trade should be sorted out before more young people die!

So you would prefer drug dealers to be selling this stuff then? Drug dealers who dont care who they sell to, (head shops only sell to over 18s). Money from head shops goes to the government in the form of taxes. When have you seen a dealer paying taxes?

Also basically EVERY SINGLE case where some "poor innocent young lad" died after taking something he bought in a head shop involved alcohol. The guy who died a few months ago after taking a few of these pills, was drinking excessively aswell, these things are not meant to be mixed. They are completely harmless on their own. Fair enough long term side affects are not established for a lot of the products. But why not research it instead of banning them straight away?

The only reason the Joe Duffy crowd go after the head shops is because they don't have the balls to go after dealers. and most of these people have not even tried anything from a head shop, they are just going on what they have heard. This bloody old mentality of all drugs are bad should be done away with. (and hopefully it will when the majority of the duffy brigade dies out)

Head shops are not the problem.

IGNORANCE IS

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bolt82

Has anyone tried anything out of one of these shops? I havent personally as i dont do that stuff but alot of my friends would. Looking at the stuff they are taking i couldnt believe it, every single thing they have bought has wrote on the back of the packet "Not for human consumption"

We have asked the people in the head shop what the stuff is and he mainly said its things like bath salts, popuri, etc. This is why it is not illegal! So if these shops were closed down id love to know the reasoning behind it. The warning is on the packets not to consume them but people still do.

I know they are designed to look like hash, coke, etc but every packet i have seen always has that warning on it. Everyone i know that has tried it wasnt drinking alcohol at the time too.

So im just wondering has anyone on here tried them and what they tried and their expierances with them was like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Bolt82 wrote: »
    every single thing they have bought has wrote on the back of the packet "Not for human consumption"

who are you to say people cant ingest such a substance if they fancy it
    So im just wondering has anyone on here tried them and what they tried and their expierances with them was like?

why not answer that question yourself:confused:

• Advertisement

Peglegged wrote: »
    who are you to say people cant ingest such a substance if they fancy it

why not answer that question yourself:confused:

Did you read anything i wrote??? As i said its wrote on the back of all the packets i have seen. Im not saying it!!

And again try reading what i wrote. I dont do any of that stuff! Really is it that hard to spend 1 minute actually lets make it 4 mins for you and read everything i wrote!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭c0ldfyr3

The only reason that these drugs are labelled as 'Bath Salts' and 'Not For Human Consumption' is because the last time the Joe Duffy brigade got in a huff and the politicos followed the baying mob and made BZP illegal there were also amendments made to the law to outlaw advertising any drugs or provide dosages on the packet unless it's registered as a medicine.

This means when someone now goes into a headshop and buys a 'Bath Salt' they are buying one of the drugs either Mephedrone or MDVP and they are not allowed to be instructed on the safe dosage or legaly be told what the active ingredients are. Way to go eh?

It's ok, lets ban them and then people will be buying the bath salts from drug dealers only there'll be 5% of the 'bath salt' and 95% crap. And when lots of young people start dieing as a direct result of the horrendous crap they're ingesting with the drugs then who will we blame?

for me thats the big problem is that no one really knows whats in them as they are not regulated. Everyone has their own opinion as to whats in them but we just dont know and for me thats the big problem. People say they are legal they must be ok. But as you said they are legal because they are being sold as bath salts and they put on the back of them that they are not for human consumption but after all we just dont know whats in them really

wexfjord wrote: »
    Was listening to an interview with a family member of a guy who died having taken magic mushrooms purchased from one of these shops a number of years ago, (Last Word, Today FM.). While the shrooms are banned, its frightening the range of products that they can legally sell, "bath salts", "plant food" etc, all of which produce the same effects as cocaine, amphetamines etc.
    You can pick one of the most potent strains of magic mushrooms in the wild Ireland for around 4 months of the year, no preperation needed, are they going to arrest people for picking them and ingesting them? I think the mushrooms were here before us...

As for that guy that died after taking mushrooms, I feel truly sorry for him and his family, may he rest in piece, but there's a lot of that story that no one knows except the people that were at that party. The official story is 10 minutes after he ingested them he seemed to go crazy and throw himself from a balcony.
    I present to you Erowid.org, an actual fact based website on drugs and their effects: http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_basics.shtml. I know a lot of people who regularily enjoy magic mushrooms and none of them have ever reported onset of effects that early let alone a full blown trip that early and even in a trip, you are not out of your mind, you simply see things differently. The mind wonders.

Do you know what the effect of cocaine or amphetamine is? Apart from the crap you've read in the tabloids, I mean actual effect, personal experience or research? If not then, seriously, how can you have an opinion on it? Do you tell Stock Brokers your opinion on the stock market on any given day?

1966 wrote: »
    whatever loopholes allow these business trade should be sorted out before more young people die!
    What do you mean more? The only people who have died with suspicion of taking the drugs from the head shops were taking a cocktail of other drugs too.
    Ketamine, a horse tranquiliser which effectively acts as a general anaesthetic was taken in the case of one of the most media popular incidences. Hands up here who thinks it's a good idea to take something which gives you energy and something which puts you to sleep at the same time? What do you think might have prevented his death? An outright ban on the substance in question or maybe, just maybe, a little education on the subject?

for me thats the big problem is that no one really knows whats in them as they are not regulated. Everyone has their own opinion as to whats in them but we just dont know and for me thats the big problem. People say they are legal they must be ok. But as you said they are legal because they are being sold as bath salts and they put on the back of them that they are not for human consumption but after all we just dont know whats in them really
    And how does making them illegal solve that? At least the head shop owners might value you as a customer, how much value do you think drug dealers have on your life? Cocaine in Ireland has been tested to contain a maximum of 9% Cocaine, what do you think the rest is? I can tell you actual Bath Salts might be the best thing you'd get in it. The same will happen to the stuff the head shops are selling right now.

And I'm fairly certain the trinity college student who tested them on the tv documentary about the head shop drugs would have jumped at the chance to reveal anything out of the ordinary about the contents of the sachets but she didn't, she simply quoted wikipedia about the effects of the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Back on topic, the shop in New Ross was burned out last night.

That would be the drug dealers

Great news - a total write off hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

ive heard the gardai are (alledgedly) lookin for somebody from the abbey hall/ abbeyview area.Ledger

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Looks to be a write off. The staff and filthy chav scum that infest the place day and night were packing what little could be salvaged into the back of a removal van this afternoon.

Good riddance, nothing worse than the sight of scrawny acne plagued 15 year old ratboys hanging around on the street hassling any and everybody to go in and buy stuff for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Great news - a total write off hopefully.
    Yes, with this bold move drugs have been forever banished from the sleepy borough of New Ross - out of sight, out of mind, eh? Three cheers for arsonists!

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Yes, with this bold move drugs have been forever banished from the sleepy borough of New Ross - out of sight, out of mind, eh? Three cheers for arsonists!

I didn't say that but at least it removes a 'respectable' high street presence which send out all the wrong signals to kids. Hardened drug takers will always find a way to kill themselves and good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It is weird isn't it? What sort of people cheer on drug dealers burning down businesses?

I've tried some head shop stuff, and to be honest i wish they just get it over with and start selling real weed.

I didn't say that but at least it removes a 'respectable' high street presence which send out all the wrong signals to kids. Hardened drug takers will always find a way to kill themselves and good luck to them.
    What kind of cretins do you take teenagers for? They'll make their own minds up about drugs whether they're being sold in the town centre or by the perpetrators of this attack. And if they want to, they'll also source their own drugs, legal or not - enjoy your false sense of security.

I guess you're right...
    Better to fund the illegal crime-filled drug business rather than give the gov taxes :p

And until they burn down all the pubs the kids will never stop getting the wrong signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I don't advocate drug use at all but I accept that people choose to do drugs and that there will always be a demand for them.

I'd rather see legislation put in place to control Head Shops and what they're selling rather than the seedy drug lords operating in the shadows continue to take a grip on towns.

I have a young lad and I think that it's inevitable that at some stage in his life he will become curious about drugs. I just hope that I bring him up well enough so that he makes the right choices when the time comes.

What kind of cretins do you take teenagers for? They'll make their own minds up about drugs whether they're being sold in the town centre or by the perpetrators of this attack. And if they want to, they'll also source their own drugs, legal or not - enjoy your false sense of security.

I don't have any false sense of security as all around I see mayhem and anarchy and the 'head' shops along with the drug dealers are part of the malaise. I have two young children and have no wish to see them growing up in a town with head shops - bad enough that they will have fools pushing other drugs at them at school. Although I haven't been a teenager for many years I'm not sufficiently near my dotage to have forgotten what it was like. :p

I don't have any false sense of security as all around I see mayhem and anarchy and the 'head' shops along with the drug dealers are part of the malaise. I have two young children and have no wish to see them growing up in a town with head shops - bad enough that they will have fools pushing other drugs at them at school. :p
    Mayhem and anarchy? Sounds like Baghdad, not Ireland, though there's no denying there's an element of violent crime in this country, most of it drink fuelled. Would you like to see our pubs and off-licenses receive the head-shop treatment and get petrol bombed by violent criminals? I doubt it; like 90% of the nation you probably enjoy a tipple yourself - but of course that's fine, as alcohol is obviously unique amongst drugs in that it can be "enjoyed responsibly."

Mayhem and anarchy? Sounds like Baghdad, not Ireland, though there's no denying there's an element of violent crime in this country, most of it drink fuelled. Would you like to see our pubs and off-licenses receive the head-shop treatment and get petrol bombed by violent criminals? I doubt it; like 90% of the nation you probably enjoy a tipple yourself - but of course that's fine, as alcohol is obviously unique amongst drugs in that it can be "enjoyed responsibly."

I don't have the statistics to hand but I think that you will find that most violent crime is caused by drug gangs not people out for a pint.

• Advertisement

I don't have the statistics to hand but I think that you will find that most violent crime is caused by drug gangs not people out for a pint.
    You're referring specifically to gang violence, which is certainly a problem (brought about by prohibition), but for the most part is scumbags murdering scumbags. I don't have the statistics at hand but I think you'll find the majority of violent assaults are committed by people out for a pint or twelve.

EDIT: Here's a few, actually.

Advertisement