Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ross Hemp Shop

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

I don't have the statistics to hand but I think that you will find that most violent crime is caused by drug gangs not people out for a pint.

Whatever about that, I wholly support and will fight for your right (along with everyone else) to consume whatever you want . Its your body after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

delop wrote: »
    Whatever about that, I wholly support and will fight for your right (along with everyone else) to consume whatever you want . Its your body after all

Ok I'll go quietly on my way I was only here for a five minute arguement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Ok I'll go quietly on my way I was only here for a five minute arguement. :D

I apologize if my contribution was not helpful ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I don't agree that it is acceptable to applaude the burning down of what is effectively a legitimate business just because you don't like it...
    it's a pretty dim view.

Lets hope that nobody was injured in the fire.

Let's not forget that another party probably owns the building too... so they may be at a loss.

Buildings either side of the shop may be affected by the damage.

Firefighters often put their lives at risk putting out these fires.

Nor do I think it's right to salute the illegal methods by which drug dealers are attempting to protect their own illegal businesses.

Head Shops or Drugs Dealers... it's a case of picking your poison and having to lump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't have the statistics to hand but I think that you will find that most violent crime is caused by drug gangs not people out for a pint.

I would say you are stupidly wrong on that one. Drug gangs kill eachother Alcohol kills everywhere, including the home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I don't agree that it is acceptable to applaude the burning down of what is effectively a legitimate business just because you don't like it...
    it's a pretty dim view.

Lets hope that nobody was injured in the fire.

There was a man asleep in the room directly above this shop. Luckily , he woke up and sounded the alarm . -

Otherwise , this could have been a murder scene .

I would say you are stupidly wrong on that one. Drug gangs kill eachother Alcohol kills everywhere, including the home.

How about these stories - if you can be bothered to read posts from somebody who is 'stupidly wrong'.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/one-more-killing-and-limerick-is-murder-capital-of-western-europe-134911.html

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Memorial-plaque-for-Limerick-murder.6221612.jp

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/anger-grows-over-rugby-players-murder-1533001.html

A few of the innocent people murdered by druggie gangsters and nothing to do with having a few pints. Bury your head in the sand for all the good it will do you.

Right guys. Lets keep it civil please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

How about these stories - if you can be bothered to read posts from somebody who is 'stupidly wrong'.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/one-more-killing-and-limerick-is-murder-capital-of-western-europe-134911.html

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Memorial-plaque-for-Limerick-murder.6221612.jp

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/anger-grows-over-rugby-players-murder-1533001.html

A few of the innocent people murdered by druggie gangsters and nothing to do with having a few pints. Bury your head in the sand for all the good it will do you.
    These were abhorrent crimes, but my point still stands: alcohol is the cause of the majority of violent crimes in Ireland. Here's a report from the HSE detailing the harms caused by people having "a few pints": it is the most significant contributing factor in public order offences, sexual assualts, and road-traffic deaths.

In any case, your arguments are going in circles at this stage. Were you not lauding the actions of the arsonists earlier in the thread? There are plenty of issues with headshops that need to be addressed - the lack of regulation on products, the absence of detailed information on said products sold to the consumer, the suspect opening hours - but there's no denying that they're eating into the gangsters profits in a big way. Drugs are everywhere in this country; there will always be a demand for them and they're not going away. It's up to you to decide whom you want to profit from this market.

Your argument is fallacious to say the least, as Ireland also appears to be awash with paedophiles should we open special centres where they can go to partake of their hobby too? We have plenty of law in Ireland but precious little order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Your argument is fallacious to say the least, as Ireland also appears to be awash with paedophiles should we open special centres where they can go to partake of their hobby too? We have plenty of law in Ireland but precious little order.
    Are you actually equating me - a working, tax-paying citizen who's never hurt another being in his life - to a child molester because I like to smoke a few spliffs or head out and drop a few pills at the weekend? My drug use is my business(though the curtain-twitchers don't like to see it as such); child abuse devastates the lives of the victims as well as their families.

We already have centres where users and abusers of a particular drug can indulge in their favourite pastime anyway - they're called pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Ireland also appears to be awash with paedophiles should we open special centres where they can go to partake of their hobby too?

That's just a ridiculous, exaggerated and totally invalid comparison for arguments sake.

If I were you I'd put down the shovel and just lie down in that hole you're digging because it's certainly deep enough.

You're taking the conversation to places where I doubt a lot of people want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

still up and running!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

hi i liked to say that i dont know much about drugs etc cos i dont really use them-not for moral reasons just cos the thought never entered my mind. i would like to say though that there should be a clearer distinction between the classification of drugs-ecstasy and marijuana are not the same and do not have the same results. i very much doubt id see someone who smokes marijuana out causing hassel or going crazy in nightclubs-id more likely see them buying 20 bags of crisps and sh*t loads of chocolate!!
    i think people need to be better educated into what these substances are as you cannot classify them all under the one thing...drugs are many things from booze to medication...
    i think the major problem is the lack of education and understanding, im a documentary geek and hav seen loads on all different drugs...marijuana is grown from the ground like herbs and stuff and once upon a time was used as medication and other things. from what i gather it was banned in america way back when to control the "blacks (&gays)" hardly valid reason to ban something. i think a fresh education is needed for all people to gain a better understanding-again i dont use any substances, i rarely drink and i smoke cigarettes but thats my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

jojo86 wrote: »
    I would like to say though that there should be a clearer distinction between the classification of drugs-ecstasy and marijuana are not the same and do not have the same results. i very much doubt id see someone who smokes marijuana out causing hassel or going crazy in nightclubs-

Ecstasy does not generally cause individuals to go out and cause hassle, quite the opposite in fact. Alcohol is your boy there.
    MDMA is far down the scale when it comes to associated social problems. Unless you don't like chatty huggie people with big grins? -> :D

hey i wasn't implying that ecstasy causes people to become violent or anything...what I would like to note how ever is that perhaps a better education/understanding on the actual effects of the various drugs on people, health wise etc...
    i went back over this thread and read it and would just like to say to anyone who condones the burning down of these hemp stores that is terrible and you should be ashamed of yourself. It doesn't matter whether a building is run by the biggest scumbags in the world or the nicest people in the world to burn down a building risks peoples lives-not just the ones who run the business but also people in surrounding areas. As far as I know they were burned by drug gangs but that is not fact more hearsay on my part and this was because the drug dealers who murder people who so many believe to be ruining this country, who kill innocent people, who upset entire cities and towns were angry that the hemp shops were stealing their business. so no hemp shops are not run by drug dealers-the opposite in fact.
    So maybe if you think about it if hemp shops were made legal with the stuff they sold being regulated and researched properly then maybe it would lead to the drug dealers having to leave because of bad business!!
    to all those who say dugs are bad without any distinction amongst drugs think about alcohol, cigarettes and all those prescriptions you accumulate and remember pretty much everyone is on drugs!! and having being a bar person for a long time I can tell you the booze is definitely one of the worst, no one understands alcohol-the problem again understanding-not many understands what they can and can't drink, not many understand their limits all they are concerned about is going out and getting hammered-escapism they same as what many drugs are used for. And believe me in the bar i worked in I had all types of people of all ages and if anyone says im totally wrong or that its just young people think again...
    basically i think that if something like marijuana didnt have terrible long term effects, doesn't cause violence then maybe legalization could minimize drug gang violence. I'm not saying to everyone go out and do drugs but i am saying just do some research before you jump on a bandwagon...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

jojo86 wrote: »
    hey i wasn't implying that ecstasy causes people to become violent or anything...what I would like to note how ever is that perhaps a better education/understanding on the actual effects of the various drugs on people, health wise etc...
    i went back over this thread and read it and would just like to say to anyone who condones the burning down of these hemp stores that is terrible and you should be ashamed of yourself. It doesn't matter whether a building is run by the biggest scumbags in the world or the nicest people in the world to burn down a building risks peoples lives-not just the ones who run the business but also people in surrounding areas. As far as I know they were burned by drug gangs but that is not fact more hearsay on my part and this was because the drug dealers who murder people who so many believe to be ruining this country, who kill innocent people, who upset entire cities and towns were angry that the hemp shops were stealing their business. so no hemp shops are not run by drug dealers-the opposite in fact.
    So maybe if you think about it if hemp shops were made legal with the stuff they sold being regulated and researched properly then maybe it would lead to the drug dealers having to leave because of bad business!!
    to all those who say dugs are bad without any distinction amongst drugs think about alcohol, cigarettes and all those prescriptions you accumulate and remember pretty much everyone is on drugs!! and having being a bar person for a long time I can tell you the booze is definitely one of the worst, no one understands alcohol-the problem again understanding-not many understands what they can and can't drink, not many understand their limits all they are concerned about is going out and getting hammered-escapism they same as what many drugs are used for. And believe me in the bar i worked in I had all types of people of all ages and if anyone says im totally wrong or that its just young people think again...
    basically i think that if something like marijuana didnt have terrible long term effects, doesn't cause violence then maybe legalization could minimize drug gang violence. I'm not saying to everyone go out and do drugs but i am saying just do some research before you jump on a bandwagon...

Totally agree,
    Wouldn`t it be great if our politician did some real research on drug harms and legislate accordingly? They obviously haven't. How can anyone take the law seriously when you can buy alcohol and tobacco anywhere while safer drugs will get you locked up in prison. They got away with prohibition and propaganda for years, but the internet now allows anyone to make their own informed decisions as everyone has access to true scientific based drug information.

The current war on drugs is a lose lose situation for everyone. A few countries have decriminalised drugs already while our government make our laws harsher.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Was chatting to a few of our elderly citizens recently and was shocked on what they had to say. In this country, when you are on long term medication, and you come off one of them, the HSE keep sending you refills, even though you are finished with the drug, therefore there are wardrobes and drawers all over this country full of powerful drugs that find there way into "recreational" situations.

Was chatting to a few of our elderly citizens recently and was shocked on what they had to say. In this country, when you are on long term medication, and you come off one of them, the HSE keep sending you refills, even though you are finished with the drug, therefore there are wardrobes and drawers all over this country full of powerful drugs that find there way into "recreational" situations.

its shocking....
    i also think its shocking some one can do crazy jail time for possession or whatever yet murderers, rapists and pedophiles walk about free to do as they please...joke.
    you would think the government would have more cop on but i guess not...priorities are just all over the place

Advertisement