Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marzipan challenge

Options
  • 11-01-2010 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I bought some marzipan (in haste) on special this week, 2 packs - 500g in total. Anyone have any ideas what I could do with it, other than take it back to the shop :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

I've always found that it disappears if you eat it. You could make a stollen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Roll it out, shape it into rounds or balls, and dip it in various melted chocolates.

It's one of those love it or hate it substances.

By the way, how do you accidentally buy marizpan in haste? Thought polenta was on special, did ya? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

pdebarra wrote: »
    I've always found that it disappears if you eat it. You could make a stollen.

+1

Or another option would be to make a plain white bread dough, roll flat-ish when it's proved. Roll the marzipan flat and place it ontop of the bread dough. Roll into a cigar then cut into bread rolls. Bake in the oven. Delicious; anyone remember Bewley's almond rolls????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

What's the shelf life like? If it will last, use it for a simnel cake at Easter. Course you can have stollen or simnel cake anytime, but some like to be traditional...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Eoineo wrote: »
    +1

Or another option would be to make a plain white bread dough, roll flat-ish when it's proved. Roll the marzipan flat and place it ontop of the bread dough. Roll into a cigar then cut into bread rolls. Bake in the oven. Delicious; anyone remember Bewley's almond rolls????

That's a fantastic idea! Now, to find the right bread dough recipe:P

• Advertisement

Any plain white recipe is grand. I've done this recipe a couple of times before and it's always a hit. If you struggle to get them to keep their shape pop each roll into a section of a pre-greased muffin tray.

You need to let the rolls cool a little before splitting and buttering them. They're actually best at room temperature.

Enjoy!

I see a plan for an evening this week! Thanks Eoineo...

Well they're just out of the oven and look very tasty. Marzipan was bubbling though, and looked a little like melted cheese. We'll see how they are in a bit!

Edit: Very very tasty! Only thing is slightly chewy marzipan at top and bottom of the buns, but next time I bake them I'll try and fold the pastry over the marzipan a bit to protect it from caramelising. Yummy though. Thanks for the idea, I always loved those bewleys almond buns, and these are nearly as good. FWIW I used a chelsea bun recipe with milk and an egg in the white bread dough. Yummy. Also, they haven't been in the oven since last week..... :)

See I love the caramelised pieces. :o

Glad you enjoyed them. Half the fun is in the baking anyway.....

Advertisement