Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things to do and places to see in laois/offaly

Options
  • 11-01-2010 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi all,
    thought I would start a thread on what things there are to do and see in laois/ offaly and peep can add to it.

1. Emo house and gardens- beauiful for walking, there are ducks in the lake and tearooms- no dogs allowed do for walkers.
    2. slieve blooms mountains- Glenbarrow waterfall, the cut, monivkview- all very scenic all year around.
    3. the heitage hotel in killernard- lovely for afternoon tea and the spa experience is good value for 60 euro for 3 hours.
    4. brittas lake clonaslee- beautiful lake and walkways.
    5. Garryhinch woods, portarlington, lovely river and forest.
    6. Dunmaise thetare portlaoise- good shows on here.
    7. ramsbottoms pub- best for trad bands, only properly equipped pool and dart room in a portlaoise pub
    8. seasons restaurant portlaoise- our fave for dinner, does exotic meat.
    9. Kavanaghs comedy club- good live gigs.
    10. O' gormans kilminchy- bust pub grub
    11. the thatch pub in crinkill just outside birr is a gem, i no its in offaly, it is award winning adn excellent for sunday dinner.
    12. kinnity castle- good grub and atmospehere.

Ill add more as i think of them, please add to this list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Great idea! Just a few off the top of my head:

13) Jims Kitchen in Portlaoise - great grub and very nice atmosphere
    14) Gash Gardens in Castletown (think they have seasonal opening)
    15) Preston House in Abbeyleix - grand country style dining
    16) Roundwood house in Mountrath - country house hotel

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Rock of Dunamaise and the Pass of the Plumes
    The woods at the Windy Gap have a Mass rock
    Killeshin Hiberno Romanesque doorway , another mass rock nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Prettylady wrote: »
    hi all,
    thought I would start a thread on what things there are to do and see in laois/ offaly and peep can add to it.

1. Emo house and gardens- beauiful for walking, there are ducks in the lake and tearooms- no dogs allowed do for walkers.

Great topic and some gems there!

Just a note about emo though, dogs are allowed ON A LEASH throughout Emo except the gardens themselves so there's a fabulous walk around the forest to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The Italian Gardens and woods at Heywood Ballinakill.
    Leafy Loop walks in Dunmore woods Durrow
    Grantstown Lake walk near Rathdowney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Prettylady

bump :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Sculpture in the parkland is brill! Check out the site

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Birr Castle. Great day out for the family. Wonderful walks and gardens and a museum on site along with the old giant telescope. Coffee shop on site also.

Hiking the sleive Blooms or even doing some of the gentler walks on the lower slopes. Great walking guides and maps from Portlaoise Tourist Office. The kids can do the easier walks no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seanladd27

Fisherstown & Vicarstown.
    Lovely walks by the River or Canal and a 'spot' of fishing also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Treacy's pub/restaurant in The Heath. Lovely Sunday dinners and a really nice, family pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seanladd27

Agreed, Tracey's are excellent for food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Joeynegro

Was in Garryhinch Woods yesterday for a stroll. Lovely. Very scenic and great place to take the dogg for a walk. Good sized car park and you can walk over the River Barrow and you can fish along the banks there.

Love the Monkey Puzzle trees there. I would highly recommend it as a great place for a summers evening stroll.

And I agree that Traceys are great for food

Advertisement