Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn Harps Thread

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last time Harps beat Dundalk competitively, I was at the game, and I was 20 years old.

My 20s left me quite some time ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Technique

L1011 wrote: »
    Last time Harps beat Dundalk competitively, I was at the game, and I was 20 years old.

My 20s left me quite some time ago...

Was that the first division play offs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Technique wrote: »
    Was that the first division play offs?

Yes, 07/08 season. Was at the Dundalk D1 playoff game, and in the RSC in Waterford for that leg of the up/down tie - couldn't get two weekdays off work to go to the Finn Park leg

Oh to have limited commitments and short notice time off again. Basically zero chance I could get time off as quickly as that playoff sequence needed now - I was also at the last ever Kilkenny City game when we were hoping Cobh might mess up so could throw leave requests in nearly immediately. I had trouble making Finn Park of a Friday from a half day back then, its maybe an hour quicker now at least.

That was also the last season we beat Dundalk in Oriel I think, before last weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Technique

I remember watching Dundalk in Finn Park maybe 5 years ago where they won maybe 7 or 8 nil. The difference in class between the two sides was massive. While Dundalk have regressed slightly, for Ollie to assemble a team with virtually no budget that can beat both Dundalk and Bohs in recent weeks is hugely impressive.

Here’s hoping that we can get the crowds back at matches again to give the team the support they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭James2020App

So that is Ollie's tenure over. Was a great servant to the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Indeed! I suspect that his time was up though and even if they had avoided the drop this season I wonder if his services would have been retained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No thoughts on the new gaffer?

Seems a pretty good appointment. Coached with Liverpool'International setup, current U21 boss with a Premier League team in Forest.

He certainly ticks most and possibly all the boxes. But the big question now would be about the calibre of the players.

True, but at least with such a promising manager you'd hope that players will want to be part of what's happening.

Can't argue with that. I think that Ollie may have become "stale" given the length of tenure and perhaps didn't command the respect he deserved. But with the greatest of respect to Ollie you can't really compare the two when looking at their respective CV's. Rogers has seen it all and he should be a great investment by the club.

• Advertisement

Yeah as you say no disrespect to Ollie but he is the calibre of manager I'd expect Harps to get. Rogers seems a cut above that especially for a first division team.

First Harps game of the season for me tonight.

That looked alarmingly like actual football being played.

Anyone got any info on whats happening with the new stadium apart from it being neglected? This whole project commenced 15 years ago yet there has been very little done since that. Its just over 2 years now since Harps secured funding of almost 4 million from the government but it looks like there hasnt been a single Euro of that money spent. Shame really..

Advertisement