Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland Outright

• 11-01-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Bohs - 11/8
    Rovers - 7/4
    Cork - 8/1
    Fingal - 9/1
    Pat's - 12/1
    Dundalk - 16/1
    Sligo - 16/1
    Galway - 66/1
    Drogheda - 150/1
    UCD - 200/1

1/5 1-2-3

Only Paddy Power has them up so far, and no First Division yet. Depending on odds on Boyles I'll be doing a e/w bet on Pats and possibly Fungus, I tipped Shams to win it last season in January at 16/1 pity I didn't have an e/w on that.

Pats have bulid up a quality young side, and with Mahon as the manager they should gel well and should be challenging. Mahon managed UCD for 6 seasons afaik and managed to do decent with them with basically no budget, etc...

Fungus, well basically because they have the money, apartments and cars to bring in what players they want.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Very little value in that by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

who are Fungus?
    Bohs will win the league as long as fenlon stays - they've brought in 3 Derry City players to strength the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ace2007 wrote: »
    who are Fungus?
    Bohs will win the league as long as fenlon stays - they've brought in 3 Derry City players to strength the squad

Fungus = Some made up team in "County Fingal".

Pats imo will challenge, they've brought in Ian Bermingham, Conor Sinnott, Dave McAllister, Brian Cash and Derek Pender, all quality players. And wth Mahon as manager and Gill as assistant Pats could be able to do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Which clubs are in real financial hassle gavin???

Will Bohs survive the season??

Browney7 wrote: »

Galway supposely aren't going to get a Premier License because of financial problems, likeso with Cork. Most clubs are trying to sort themselves out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Browney7 wrote: »

Will Cork City survive ??? ...or will they even get a licence ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭raheny red

I'd want 20s+ before I back Pats. 12/1 is an awful price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Galway supposely aren't going to get a Premier License because of financial problems, likeso with Cork. Most clubs are trying to sort themselves out tbh.
    Would be surprised if that is true to be honest. Sean O'Connor left Dundalk at the end of last season and has just joined Galway. Surely he wouldn't leave a top five Premier Division Club to take over a club who are about to be thrown down to the first division.

It's a weird move by O'Connor as it is but if Galway are going to be relegated it makes absolutely zero sense.

Pighead wrote: »

It's a weird move by O'Connor as it is but if Galway are going to be relegated it makes absolutely zero sense.

Sure clubs don't find out till the end of the month what division they'll be playing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sure clubs don't find out till the end of the month what division they'll be playing in.
    Yeah but Galway must have told O'Connor they're confident that their finances are in order and there is little chance of them getting demoted. There is no way he joined them without getting at least some assurances that all is ok.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Yeah but Galway must have told O'Connor they're confident that their finances are in order and there is little chance of them getting demoted. There is no way he joined them without getting at least some assurances that all is ok.

Connor not O'Connor. Sure the same situ could apply to Shoddy down in Cork.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Connor is lucky to have a job at all. didn't have much option but to leave Dundalk, and took the only job that people were crazy enough to give him.
    As for the odds, absolutely no value, especially considering no one knows the make up of most squads as of yet, or where some of them will be playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Thats weird i heard that aswell a few weeks ago but passed it off as BS. there might be some truth in it. Interesting times ahead.
    BTW your mad to put money on Pats would agree with Sporting Franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

A "made up team" that has been put together with a structure and plan in place and probably won't be going bankrupt anytime soon. Every team was made up at some point. I'd say they are going to be champions in the next three seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

jacool wrote: »
    A "made up team" that has been put together with a structure and plan in place and probably won't be going bankrupt anytime soon. Every team was made up at some point. I'd say they are going to be champions in the next three seasons.

In theory yes, but recent council meetings have questioned the level of support they are providing the club, while the other main benefactor may not always be in position to continue his current level of support. Other clubs had just as robust a plan in place and ended up in trouble.

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Thats weird i heard that aswell a few weeks ago but passed it off as BS. there might be some truth in it. Interesting times ahead.

There was an article yesterday posted on fool.ie saying ourselves and Bray requested the budgets process, etc... be started a week early, so both clubs must know more than we do.

I won't be putting money on Franchise anyway, even though they could be in with a shout. I'd rather wear Robbie Doyles tights over my head then see that shower win the league.
    jacool wrote: »

Oh f*ck me! Fingals financial structure is about as useful as a kids board game. Look at Dublin City FC and compare attendences, main sponsor, etc...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Think Sporting Fingal could do well this season but theres not much value in the odds at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tablets

galway united will get the premier licence!pat mcdonagh of supermacs fame has supposedly bailed them out so that they will meet the requirements!very low budget is the word on the street down here so it will be a huge struggle this season to stay up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Colm C

There is no real value in those odds,Dundakcould be worth an e/w bet though.Fosters not a bad manager and its a shambles of a league(im a supporter so im allowed say it).Cant see beyond bohs again this year.

tablets wrote: »
    galway united will get the premier licence!pat mcdonagh of supermacs fame has supposedly bailed them out so that they will meet the requirements!very low budget is the word on the street down here so it will be a huge struggle this season to stay up!

You do know Sean Connor is in charge, therefore it won't be a very low budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Pats imo will challenge, they've brought in Ian Bermingham, Conor Sinnott, Dave McAllister, Brian Cash and Derek Pender, all quality players. And wth Mahon as manager and Gill as assistant Pats could be able to do the job.
    Mahon's a poor manager, Pats certainly won't challenge the top 3.
    Colm C wrote: »
    There is no real value in those odds,Dundakcould be worth an e/w bet though.Fosters not a bad manager and its a shambles of a league(im a supporter so im allowed say it).
    The top three in the market look a cut above the rest, can't see anybody else breaking into that.

Bitter much?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Bohs v Rovers really. I'd favour Rovers because they are more settled in every way than Bohs.

As for Fingal, the money is guaranteed for five years. If at the end of the fifth season the money drys up then a small budget would be made the season after.

Bitter much?:D
    Bitter about what?

Bitter about what?

Mahon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 St. Robbie

Really don't think we'll challenge. 5th at best I'd say. The players you mention are good no doubt but none of them have experience of challenging for a title (bar McAllister with Shels). We can't do any worse than last year though...I hope :(

Mahon.
    No, not at all. Hardly inconceivable that he was a poor manager considering we finished 5 points behind Cobh and 10 behind Harps in 2008 with stronger squads than both of them and that we finished in a playoff spot on the field in 2007 with one of the best squads UCD has ever had when we should have been comfortably clear of the any relegation battle and been on par with those just inside the top half of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

tablets wrote: »
    pat mcdonagh of supermacs fame has supposedly bailed them out
    Nobody has bailed anybody out. Papa Johns are our main sponsor and have extended that deal beyond the deal that ran until the end of 2009.

Nobody has bailed anybody out. Papa Johns are our main sponsor and have extended that deal beyond the deal that ran until the end of 2009.

By bailing out, I'm guessing he's talking in regards to the debts Galway supposely owed from 2 years ago.

• Advertisement

AntoSRFC wrote: »

Granted it's only 8 games in but Pats are top, sick I didn't lump on Pats ew as I said I was going too.:mad:

Advertisement