Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAR ADVICE Please

• 11-01-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

My Skoda (2002) Octavia has been running fine in sub-zero temperatures until yesterday when my ABS light came on (and remains on) despite hot water being poured on the wheels - leaving the hand brake on and trusting in the great Skoda God that it would have been ok this morning - she's obviously busy as light remains on. Is it safe to drive - even to the garage - or will it go off when the weather thaws. Is this failure weather releated or do i need to get it diagnostically checked? Please help!!!???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Can be linked with the sludge and snow, but also could be a problem on the car.You can drive but just be aware that when the abs light is on you have no abs so if you jam on the brakes(in an emergency for example)your wheels might skid.If you have a regular garage then they might reset the light for you (for free) if it comes back on then you know you have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

It's not dangerous to drive as you still have brakes.. just no ABS, or maybe it will still work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it usually still works with the light on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    it usually still works with the light on
    Are you sure? I think the light comes on when the system deactivates itself due to finding a fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Very easy to test is ABS is working... just brake in the ice. I assume you have at this point experienced ABS judder through the pedal several times over the last week.

Check the Air pressures in each tyre btw, ESP systems work by looking at the rotational speeds of each wheel (among other things) and low pressure in one or more wheels (or incorrect front - rear overall wheel diameter bias) can freak it out. I would assume you have lost ESP (/Traction Control), not ABS. But test it so you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭couscous007

Thank you all for your advice - it was a bit mental for a while - but it appears to have been the ICE that set it off, and it has rectified itself. Told to keep handbrake off and leave it in gear during any future cold snaps - no fault detected, so all is good. Thank you so much.

Advertisement