Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver 8mb any good?

• 11-01-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭

Just ordered it

8mb
    Unlimited Download
    12:1 contention ratio

Anybody else with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Ronyponyboi

Yea i have the 8Meg pack is's excellent, now i'm only getting 4 Meg but it's super stable with no downtime. Highly recommend them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Been using UTV 3MB since July 2008, only minor issues with it but otherwise pretty happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

When was th 8mb introduced? I was moved onto the 7.6 due to problems with my connection. I don't see the 7.6 on their website anymore. Is everyone moved to 8mb now?

I seem to still be synching at 7.6

Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 7616 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 672 kbps

Concerning the performance of UTV. I found them great for 5 months and then the service went really bad. Low download speeds and severe ping issues. It took over 2 months for the issue to be resolved although the problem seemed to be more with Eircom. Their customer service/tech was polite and actually followed up.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I use the 3mb Broadband in Shannon, and find it good. Telephone service is also very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Xcellor wrote: »
    When was th 8mb introduced? I was moved onto the 7.6 due to problems with my connection. I don't see the 7.6 on their website anymore. Is everyone moved to 8mb now?

I seem to still be synching at 7.6

Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 7616 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 672 kbps

Concerning the performance of UTV. I found them great for 5 months and then the service went really bad. Low download speeds and severe ping issues. It took over 2 months for the issue to be resolved although the problem seemed to be more with Eircom. Their customer service/tech was polite and actually followed up.

I was going to order last week it was 7.6mb
    then i waited and ordered yesterday and it was 8mb.

But the small print says up to 8mb, so it might still be the 7.6mb. Maybe nobody gets 8mb? 8 is easier to write than 7.6?

Anybody with it able to answer?
    Anybody syncing at 8Mb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'm on the 7.6mb package but I only get 6mb due to my line apparently.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The "up to 7.6Mb" package is no longer available from Eircom Wholesale - it is now "up to 8Mb" and has been for the past couple of months although the resellers seem to be slow to update

The "up to 7.6Mb" package is no longer available from Eircom Wholesale - it is now "up to 8Mb" and has been for the past couple of months although the resellers seem to be slow to update

Nice thats what i wanted anyway!

8mb download
    0.8mb upload

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

this on paper does look quiet good ... 1 problem looks to be the d/l cap of only 20GB..

do utv monitor this strictly???

i am looking to get a higher speed than the 3MB BB i have with eircom (and for a lot less thena eircom) it looks like Vodafone are a disaster so any more feedback on utv would be great here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You can pay an €5.99 per month to have unlimited downloads (probably a FUP in place for this though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

would prefer not to pay the extra €5.99 tbh .. this would bring it up to be more expansive that eircom !!...
    i am averaging maybe 32gb p/m .. would utv charge for the 12GB over cap??

eircom is just soo bad lately ... for the past few weeks im getting .5MB on speedtest what a joke ... :(
    if it is due to contention a 12:1 for utv looks v. appealing

Yeah I don't see "unlimited" downloads on the website.

Yes they do monitor the download usage (updated every few hours) but I'm not sure how strictly they charge you for going over it.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ftm2008 wrote: »
    would prefer not to pay the extra €5.99 tbh .. this would bring it up to be more expansive that eircom !!...
    i am averaging maybe 32gb p/m .. would utv charge for the 12GB over cap??

eircom is just soo bad lately ... for the past few weeks im getting .5MB on speedtest what a joke ... :(
    if it is due to contention a 12:1 for utv looks v. appealing

Yes - thats why people go for the €5.99 extra product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Yes, they are strict on the extra charge - son got caught a while back and paid for excess used. Also, remember that even when you complete your contract with UTV, you will still have to pay a charge (think it's about 30) to leave and sign up with someone else. Apart from that, good enough ISP for the reasons already quoted here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes, they are strict on the extra charge - son got caught a while back and paid for excess used. Also, remember that even when you complete your contract with UTV, you will still have to pay a charge (think it's about 30) to leave and sign up with someone else. Apart from that, good enough ISP for the reasons already quoted here.

All ISP's get charged this 30e fee as confirmed by the eircom wholesale pricing, UTV is the only ISP that passes it to the customer

In relation to the OP's mention of 8MB....he's clearly looking at the UK section of the UTV website as only 7.6MB is available in Ireland.

8MB is a BT Wholesale IP-Stream product resold to ISP's in the UK and NI.

Cabaal wrote: »
    In relation to the OP's mention of 8MB....he's clearly looking at the UK section of the UTV website as only 7.6MB is available in Ireland.

8MB is a BT Wholesale IP-Stream product resold to ISP's in the UK and NI.

Nah, the Irish section has 8mb as well.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    Nah, the Irish section has 8mb as well.

Fair enough wasn't there lastime I checked the site :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fair enough wasn't there lastime I checked the site :)

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Ronyponyboi

I have unlimited usage strange. i'm with them about 3 or 4 years now tho, Not sure if it makes a difference but anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Simon201

Also with them 4 or 5 years now. Tempted by UPC's deals lately tho. Could probably save a tenner or so??. Not sure whether to change.... something inside the back of my head says don't cos they really have had minimal downtime or problems (count up the threads with people complaining about isp's here and it shows!)
    On the 7.6 here - as asked before, is that physically any different from being on the newly named '8mb' service. Also, when I signed up for the 7.6mb I thought it said the contention ratio was 24:1 and now it says 12:1 for the 8mb? I'm assuming perhaps that if one starts a new contract it may change to 12:1?
    On unlimited usage as well. Yes they do charge! Happened to me once. Changed the options for usage to 'suspend connection' etc and also yes! they do cut you off! Unlimited was then the only way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement