Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic movies in the Omniplex

Options
  • 11-01-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/promo/366/

Cool promo being run by the Omniplex chain, 50 movies, vote for which one you'd like to see back in the cinema and the top 10 will be shown around the country, it'd be great to see The Godfather or The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, or some old Bond movies in the cinema, and there's Grease and Pretty Woman for the ladies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats really cool.... just keep the girls away, or we'll be stuck with Pretty Woman and Grease! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah I wouldnt mind going to either of those, have seen both loads of times, when i worked in a video shop Grease was our Friday night movie to have on, cheered up everyone , I must have heard that movie more than I've seen it, i know the whole thing off by heart almost at this stage :D

I voted for Good, Bad and Ugly, cant beat a bit of Clint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I like the initiative but I'm not entirely enamoured by their list. Went for Raging Bull.

Aidric wrote: »
    I like the initiative but I'm not entirely enamoured by their list. Went for Raging Bull.

Its a bit of a mixed bag alright, theres a lot of pretty obscure classics in there, and too many old Bond movies, they're on all the time on RTE and UTV anyway, could have done with more horror/sci-fi movies, Blade Runner, American Werewolf, Alien etc , still though, it'll be cool to be able to see a digital version of an old movie, maybe a boards night out at the movies is in order?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Went for Withnail and I.

That list is meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cool idea.
    As long as its not Pretty Woman or Grease. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

good idea , but the list wouldnt be my favourite. Id love to see 2001 there or apocalypse now or godfather 2.
    I went for godfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Did somebody not post up here a few months back looking for feedback on this same idea as part a "project" he was doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

List isnt great at all,went for Whitnail and I tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

One of 11 that voted for Its a Wonderful Life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I wish we had a cinema that would also focus on classic movies. Some great noirs and westerns of old, et cetera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

agreed Pushtrak, it would be brilliant, unfortunately I dont think it would get the attendance to stay open, it would probably have to be a small screen with maybe 30 or 40 seats or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Withnail and I.

Pretty rubbishy list though!

wylo wrote: »
    agreed Pushtrak, it would be brilliant, unfortunately I dont think it would get the attendance to stay open, it would probably have to be a small screen with maybe 30 or 40 seats or something.
    If exclusively classic movies, then yeah, most definitely, too niche. Having one or two screens that they could switch around classic movies on a fortnightly basis, or by demand, or some system.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

****e selection..:( Gone for withnail, seen the godfather too many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

why are people voting for the likes of the godfather. if ya havent seen it a million times then your lying or just shouldnt watch it. classics should be just the real classics im talking bring back the 60's 50's 40's 30's 20's real old time classics. i think people would actually go see them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

krudler wrote: »
    I voted for Good, Bad and Ugly, cant beat a bit of Clint :)

Me too. I saw A Few Dollars More there the other night. Classic in the dictionary sense of the word. Men are men in these movies.

Tbh - I'd love to watch them all. Satisfy my greed Omniplex - show them all and stop your tomfoolery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I wish we had a cinema that would also focus on classic movies. Some great noirs and westerns of old, et cetera.

Well said. Had a wonderful one in Barcelona when I lived there years back and was well supported. Galway will have something before long on Merchant's Road. Not ideal for Limerick but it's not far up the road with the Gort-Crusheen section completed later this Autumn.

The two Limerick cinemas have plenty of screens. Couldn't they dedicate one screen to rotating oldies and classics, and maybe some foreign movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There was one in Santa Cruz and every wednesday night during the summer they would show old movies, from like the 70s/80s - was brilliant

topper75 wrote: »
    Well said. Had a wonderful one in Barcelona when I lived there years back and was well supported. Galway will have something before long on Merchant's Road. Not ideal for Limerick but it's not far up the road with the Gort-Crusheen section completed later this Autumn.
    I'm not a driver, but I'd certainly get a bus up should they get good enough movies up there. They'd want to be really bloody good though. Wouldn't go up otherwise, obviously.

• Advertisement

The two Limerick cinemas have plenty of screens. Couldn't they dedicate one screen to rotating oldies and classics, and maybe some foreign movies?

Makes more business sense to have some animated sequel or Scary Movie 15 on in there instead, because the cinema going public are by and large, idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

krudler wrote: »
    Makes more business sense to have some animated sequel or Scary Movie 15 on in there instead, because the cinema going public are by and large, idiots
    True that.I feel there is as niche for something like a 100 seater showing arthouse or classic movies, maybe 2/3 times a week. Doesn't the belltable have a film club?

Advertisement