Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What hair style for guy going thin on top?

• 11-01-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Any recommendations for a hair style for me, I`m going thin on the top of my head, I often just cut it very short to a number 2, 3 or 1 sometimes. I have it about 40mm long at the mo but before I cut it all off I`m wondering what style to try out.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You'll hate this reply but there is only one cut that works well with a receding hairline and that is a #3 (or #2 or #1).
    Sorry. :(
    Welcome to the club. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 irish_hotspur

just cut to the chase and shave it all off mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

My boyfriend was very thin on top and his hairline was hugely receded. He used to try to keep it long, but it looked comboverish!
    I convinced him to go to a 2 all over, now he is a no blade all over and loves it.
    He was worried his head wouldn't suit a no blade! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dlofnep is also thinning on top. Have bought a clippers, but not ready to take the plunge yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

1 all over looks good on most

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    dlofnep is also thinning on top. Have bought a clippers, but not ready to take the plunge yet!

Do it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beautycouture

Don't be tempted to go for the long/combover look, just go with it a shaved / tight hair cut is hot... just look at vin diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Do it! :D

Oi, less of the peer pressure! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

It's hard to say what style to go for, as it depends on what would suit your face/bone structure and personal style etc but I'd say if your hairs thinning a bit to work with it as opposed to covering it up, if-ya-know-what-I-mean. Maybe try some products that add texture which would make your hair like thicker and allow you to style it different ways, something like this maybe: http://www.bumbleandbumble.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT75&PRODUCT_ID=217

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

I`m thinking that I may have to go back to very short hair again, I`m not finding many suitable styles for me, though I did find a few ideas, any opinions on these styles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Cut it off, I've a mate who won't and you just want to tell him to cop on. He looks like a bad Tintin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Shave it off!

Get a blade 2 all over or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

For everyone saying "shave it off!" it's just not that simple unless you've been in the same situation. Sure women say they like the shaved head but unless you have either masculine facial features, are well-built or have the right shape head to suit you and frame your face, you might end up looking like Moby rather than Vin Diesel and it'll take a long time for it to grow back to how it is now. It's not such a quick decision.

OP, I use a product called toppik, it matches your hair colour and you use it on the balding areas and is undetectable if your have medium length hair. Been using it a few years and no-one had ever noticed or commented, including my gf. Why? Because I'm in my mid-twenties and I don't want to be that prematurely balding guy in the nightclub yet. In a few years I'll prob shave it myself but for now I like having the choice. If you're completely bald you know you'll never really any choice over your hair again so I prefer this option for a few years while I'm still young. PM me if you need any info on that anyways OP

wall wrote: »
    I`m thinking that I may have to go back to very short hair again, I`m not finding many suitable styles for me, though I did find a few ideas, any opinions on these styles?

Mullets are great!

Business at the front, Party at the back!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

in most cases ive seen where people are trying to cover up going bald theyre fooling noone but themselves. my poor little bro is only 18 and its starting to go, he has longish hair (for a boy anyway) and it just makes the receding hairline even more obvious - id love to attack him with a scissors but i couldnt say anything to him cause he might be a bit too sensitive about it at his age. I have a friend who was similar, had long hair with receding hair and it just looked awful & made him look really old. he cut it pretty short and it took years off him, he now looks his age and the receding bit is far less obvious with short hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

For everyone saying "shave it off!" it's just not that simple unless you've been in the same situation. Sure women say they like the shaved head but unless you have either masculine facial features, are well-built or have the right shape head to suit you and frame your face, you might end up looking like Moby rather than Vin Diesel and it'll take a long time for it to grow back to how it is now. It's not such a quick decision.

OP, I use a product called toppik, it matches your hair colour and you use it on the balding areas and is undetectable if your have medium length hair. Been using it a few years and no-one had ever noticed or commented, including my gf. Why? Because I'm in my mid-twenties and I don't want to be that prematurely balding guy in the nightclub yet. In a few years I'll prob shave it myself but for now I like having the choice. If you're completely bald you know you'll never really any choice over your hair again so I prefer this option for a few years while I'm still young. PM me if you need any info on that anyways OP

Top marks this man.

To blindly say 'shave it off' is neither helpful or sympathetic, firstly because one's facial features may not suit such a style, and secondly as it assumes that the thinning hair is anywhere near a stage that requires such drastic action. As with many men, it can take a decade or more of gradual thinning before more substantive action needs to be taken. Naturally, one is going to want to hold onto their hair for as long as possible - especially when in their 20s - when one's hair it is still more than acceptably substantial in appearance.

That's a fantastic product, speedboatchase. I'm just at the stage, like yourself, where I could get a few decent years out of this. Their website is relatively poor and other sites are vague on two questions, that perhaps I can ask you.

1: Do you have to apply it daily, or does any of it stay in after a decent wetting (no shampoo) in the shower?

2: How do you use styling product with it? There are varying claims on different websites - do you put the Toppik in before or after styling product? If after, does it affect the appearance of the product, i.e. turn matt into gloss? (in this instance, American Crew Fiber)

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Thanks all for your suggestions and helpful hints. Though I think I`m looking for the impossible here. I looked again at my hair in the mirror this eve and it looked quiet thick, but when I turned on the light I could see I am getting quiet thin. So I decided that I`ll have to give it a no.2 all over tomorrow, I probably would have done it already if the weather was`nt so cold.

Hair today, gone tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Deflector wrote: »
    Top marks this man.

To blindly say 'shave it off' is neither helpful or sympathetic, firstly because one's facial features may not suit such a style, and secondly as it assumes that the thinning hair is anywhere near a stage that requires such drastic action. As with many men, it can take a decade or more of gradual thinning before more substantive action needs to be taken. Naturally, one is going to want to hold onto their hair for as long as possible - especially when in their 20s - when one's hair it is still more than acceptably substantial in appearance.

That's a fantastic product, speedboatchase. I'm just at the stage, like yourself, where I could get a few decent years out of this. Their website is relatively poor and other sites are vague on two questions, that perhaps I can ask you.

1: Do you have to apply it daily, or does any of it stay in after a decent wetting (no shampoo) in the shower?

2: How do you use styling product with it? There are varying claims on different websites - do you put the Toppik in before or after styling product? If after, does it affect the appearance of the product, i.e. turn matt into gloss? (in this instance, American Crew Fiber)

Many thanks

Hey no problem, obv Toppik isn't always the answer for everyone and it depends what stage you're at but wow, great product. Was really surprised when I first used it. I'll send you a PM in a sec deflector as don't want to go off-topic here. And fair balls anyways Wall, hope it looks well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Deflector and speedboatchase both make fair points about jumping on the shaving-your-head bandwagon. I think short hair looks leagues better than any kind of attempt to "cover up" that fact that your going bald though. Using moby as an example just cause he was mentioned by someone else;

For example, moby with some hair:
    http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/411167/Moby.jpg

Moby with no hair:
    http://blahblahblahscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/moby.jpg

Obviously these photos are bias, since he looks much better in a suit anyway. And the OP most likely does not look exactly like Moby ;)

But I think the point still stands that embracing a receding hairline, rather than spending your life trying to hide it/fill it in with hair products is a better approach for your appearance (and maybe for your self esteem? But that's a whole other can of beans...)

If you do go the route of using products to "fill in" the hair, make sure you ask a sister or someone you can really trust to give you a blunt opinion on how it looks. Or you could post a photo here (with face blocked out obviously) and get an honest opinion on it.

Good luck whichever way you go OP! It's a problem 99% of us guys are going to be stuck with :)

Edit: Wall, if you're going to give yourself a number 2 in the next few days and have quite long hair, you could always go with a 4 or 5 and work your way shorter every hair cut? Just so it's less of a shock to the system if you're worried about that!

Advertisement