Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study with music on?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering who here studies with music playing? If so, what do you like to play while you're studying?

Personally I like anything by Thomas Newman or any relaxing music playing while I study. I'm looking at my most played on my study playlist and it's 'compass and guns' off the shawshank redemption ost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ6fxVdRKLw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Really depends on the type of music if I'm honest. Definitely the less heavy the better, so no rock bands or anything and no distracting lyrics...something like Sufjan Stevens is nice to listen to while working.

For a good bit of the LC I had the Music set works on the background. The Mozart worked wonders, Berlioz was ok from time to time, the Raymond Deane was just a piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I used to leave the radio on when I studied in 3rd year. After a while, it began to distract me, especially when I was trying to do maths or think up an English essay or something. Then again, maybe the radio was a bad idea, pop music is annoyingly distracting.

Still, I weaned myself off it, I'll stick to silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I can't study without music now. I just get distracted otherwise. When I was studying for the leaving, I refused to listen to music on the basis that I wouldn't have music in the exam, but now I know I'll properly focus in exams anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
    The only thing is, I can't listen to anything really complicated....or music that's really "full". Stuff like Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Debussy, that kind of thing, they're all brilliant. Nice and relaxing. They make a nice study atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Florence and the Machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Depends on the subject tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

I can't study with music on at all tbh..
    I tried to do it last year but i just ended up writing the lyrics when i should have been writing an essay!
    so i decided to give up on it but i'm used to the silence now and it doesn't bother me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I used to listen to Bruce Springsteen whenever I'd be studying maths for my leaving...It made me work faster randomly enough:confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

What else can get you in the mood for maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Pygmalion wrote: »
    What else can get you in the mood for maths?

Running my fingers through your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

phlegms wrote: »
    Running my fingers through your hair.
    :eek::D;)

I used to listen to a lot of different stuff.I remember I spent the entire second term of 5th year[yeah,I skipped TY] with Linkin park/ Jay z collision course on repeat.

As a plus I know all the lyrics to that entire disc[and most of Linkin parks cataloge]

as a negative I didn't study F*ck all,but still got my course by 70 points[don't you just hate people like me]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

This one is good for studying science. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

no way, my brain can't operate if I listen to music while studying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Don't waste your time because your study wont be effective enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

as a negative I didn't study F*ck all,but still got my course by 70 points[don't you just hate people like me]

110 here, even passed Applied Maths, never even took classes in it :P

Ha! Nerd! I made my course with zero points to spare :cool:

Talk about scraping in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I could never study with Sigur Rós, my automatic foot tapping would be too distracting.

Classical music is the way to go. Stick on ClassicFM or Classic Sounds or whatever the hell it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

There was actually a thread about this a few days ago over on the NUIM forum :) Like I said over there, I usually listen to classical music when I'm studying, or something with no lyrics, like Mogwai or Aphex Twin.

I listened to this song a redonkulous amount of times when I was studying for my leaving cert all them years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Study? No...Music yes :D
    Doing homework need the ipod on really though my flow just wont go without something in the background as long as the lyrics aren't too strong and get me dragged into them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Nope doesn't work for me but after every half an hours or so i'd listen to the radio to keep myself sane!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Jay P wrote: »
    Ha! Nerd! .
    Dude,I'm doing Agriculture.Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Teachers used to always tell us not to study while listening to music on. I found it helped me, but only if it was a song I liked and knew well. Otherwise it gets distracting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Oh hells to the yeah

Usually Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service or something Ben Gibbard orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I always always always listen to music while studying. I always have and I always will. I thik it started when I was in first year and had the radio on in the background while I did my little bits of homework. Then suddenly it was third year and I had my favourite CDs on repeat. Three years later it was time for Leaving Cert and I did the exact same, in fact I don't think I've ever used my iPod as much as I did in the final few weeks.

I'd listen to anything really when studying. I'd sing along as well. I loved it. In college now and still do it. My iPod makes the library bearable.

Now, when I hear certain songs, they instantly bring me back to those times.

Busted = Around first year.
    Kaiser Chiefs = Junior Cert
    Carla Bruni and Girls Aloud = Leaving Cert
    unknown13 wrote: »
    Don't waste your time because your study wont be effective enough

Really? It didn't do me a bit of harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

There's nothing like a bita Carla Bruni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Comme si de rien n'etait is bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I used to have to study in complete silence, and the slightest noise would distract me completely. Then some study skills people came to the school and were all, "You should study in silence, as there'll be no music in the exam hall". Being as stubborn as I am, I chose to completely go against this, for some bizarre reason, and now can only study with music, though usually just nice, quiet music, played loudly. (Coherence fail... It's late. I have no more adjectives besides 'nice' and 'quiet'.)

Though, exam halls have to be completely silent. I can't think when there's noise (like giant heaters and ice-skating music in the RDS >_<) going on... I have a tendency to just stare at whatever's making noise until it stops, which is always good when there's a good possiblity you'll be pressed for time in an exam... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Jay P wrote: »
    Ha! Nerd! I made my course with zero points to spare :cool:

Talk about scraping in.

Random selection motha****er!

Dude,I'm doing Agriculture.Seriously?

Eh....eh.....ummmm....

Hello.
    Random selection motha****er!

Dam it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i never studied do i cant really say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

I either have to have complete silence, or very loud music!
    It's usually more music though, tend not to be able to achieve silence in this house, damn little brothers :rolleyes:

Advertisement